CB Situation in 2018

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

With Fuller and Amukamara playing well, do we try to bring both of them back? Or do we let one of them walk and address it again in FA and the draft?
Never Die Easy
malk
Head Coach

I think you've got to at least try bringing both back. Fuller has had 16 passes defended this year, good for 8th in the league. and has shown lots of flashes, Amukamara has been pretty solid too. They haven't had flashy seasons so I think it's a great time to try and lock them down without having to break the bank.

I don't think that it's worth chasing players with good individual interception numbers, it's such a high variance metric. So far this year only 2 corners have more than 4. Comparing all defensive backs, 3 interceptions put you at joint 12th in the league whilst 2 puts you in joint 42nd.

So I'd be happy to sign both long term if the money is right and see what happens if we can beef up our pass rush. I'd be perfectly happy to go into next season expecting to start Fuller, Amukamara, Amos and Jackson.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Is Fuller one of those guys playing lights out because he's in a contract year? That's just my perception.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I love Kyle Fuller. He'll get franchised at least. I know he wasn't picked by pace, but I don't think he'd let the teams 2014 and '15 first round picks go. That'd be bad PR to me.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:With Fuller and Amukamara playing well, do we try to bring both of them back? Or do we let one of them walk and address it again in FA and the draft?
Yes
No

There's not nearly enough draft capital available to willingly throw another huge need like starting CB on the pile.
If you can get a different FA at a better value, sure. But you have to go very seriously after both.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Is Fuller one of those guys playing lights out because he's in a contract year? That's just my perception.
I think that's assuming too much.
We still have NO idea what the hell happened last year.
Once the coaching staff (and maybe Kyle, too) is gone, more info may come out.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: I don't think that it's worth chasing players with good individual interception numbers, it's such a high variance metric.
Generally true. However, Amukamara's been in the league 7 yrs with 7 picks and 4/7 yrs he had exactly 1. So you know at this point what you're getting there - an average to above average cover guy who's poor at generating turnovers.
Most genuine starter CBs will offer better odds on the turnovers than he will. But that flaw may help keep his price more reasonable, too.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

You have to try and bring both of them back. They seem to play really well together. I think the CB position has been one of our highlights all season.
Adipost
MVP

Kyle Fuller is a stud, folks. You’re not going to see a better game from any CB in the NFL.
wab
Mod

I think you definitely try to bring them both back. Fuller is quietly playing as well as any corner in the NFL and Amukamara has said that he's tired of hopping teams.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that Fuller is having a great year in part due to having Amukamara on the other side.
Hematite
Player of the Month

No need to take an apparent strength of this team and turn it into a weakness. The cap room is there to sign them both, so you do it. FA time is for getting a stud WR if available and filling other needs (OLB perhaps). One more good draft, and who knows, this team may do something!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It's tempting to say both, but that's going to cost a LOT of bread. I agree that we need to be talking to both. The interesting thing is that both are similar. Both pretty stout run defenders. Both pretty good coverage guys. Neither good at picking the ball off. But maybe that's a negative?

In any case, we can't afford to lose 2 quality starting CBs. So this is a really important issue heading into the offseason. I know CBs are CBs, but for any FA questions we'll need to consult with our new DC, too.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

wab wrote:
I'll also go out on a limb and say that Fuller is having a great year in part due to having Amukamara on the other side.
I completely agree with this. I started really paying attention to this about a month ago. It seems like we see Fuller so much on tv...because the other side is LOCKED down. I don’t know how true that is, but I feel like I see Prince once or twice a Sunday and every other pass thrown is to Fullers side.
G08
Hall of Famer

They've been playing well... I thought Amukamara had a layup INT yesterday afternoon that he flat-out dropped, it ties into his lack of generating INTs IMO.

Fuller worries me... his best season is the one before he hits FA? Always makes me nervous... that being said, I'd throw $$$ at Fuller, see if Amukamara wants to come back on a fair deal.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:It's tempting to say both, but that's going to cost a LOT of bread. I agree that we need to be talking to both. The interesting thing is that both are similar. Both pretty stout run defenders. Both pretty good coverage guys. Neither good at picking the ball off. But maybe that's a negative?

In any case, we can't afford to lose 2 quality starting CBs. So this is a really important issue heading into the offseason. I know CBs are CBs, but for any FA questions we'll need to consult with our new DC, too.
You think? Amukamara has had a pretty good year but hasn't been lights out. Coming off a one year $7m deal is there any reason to think he'll cost significantly more this time?

Similarly for Fuller, he had a promising rookie year, disappointing 2nd year, didn't play his 3rd and only has one interception this year. That doesn't scream huge contract to me?

I know corners are expensive but his body of work, at least on the box score, looks more like Marcus Cooper's than, say, Logan Ryan's. Then again Dre Kirkpatrick got $52.5m so what do I know!

Hopefully there isn't a bidding war and he doesn't just want to leave after last season but if not, would he go higher than $10m per? For Amukamara, would he take $35 over 5?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I think you have to try to bring them both back, without breaking the bank for either one. They are good but not great corners who lend the stability we've needed for a long time. Neither one are ball hawks, but with an improved pass rush they both can get the job done.

That said, neither is worth the franchise tag. And if a great ball-hawking, shut down corner becomes available in free agency then we should try to sign him as well.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Mikefive wrote:It's tempting to say both, but that's going to cost a LOT of bread. I agree that we need to be talking to both. The interesting thing is that both are similar. Both pretty stout run defenders. Both pretty good coverage guys. Neither good at picking the ball off. But maybe that's a negative?

You think? Amukamara has had a pretty good year but hasn't been lights out. Coming off a one year $7m deal is there any reason to think he'll cost significantly more this time?

Similarly for Fuller, he had a promising rookie year, disappointing 2nd year, didn't play his 3rd and only has one interception this year. That doesn't scream huge contract to me?

I know corners are expensive but his body of work, at least on the box score, looks more like Marcus Cooper's than, say, Logan Ryan's. Then again Dre Kirkpatrick got $52.5m so what do I know!

Hopefully there isn't a bidding war and he doesn't just want to leave after last season but if not, would he go higher than $10m per? For Amukamara, would he take $35 over 5?
One thing that I think gets missed is that Fuller was getting picked on a lot more than Amukamara. That tells me that Amukamara was pretty darned solid in his coverage, since Fuller wasn't bad. I bet the price tag for both of those guys now that the cap is up to $180M will be $10M/year each. I hope I'm wrong and we can get them both for $15M the next few years and I'd be happy with that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

Dude, I know he's going to be expensive now...

But if Kyle Fuller gets away from us, I will be LIVID.

He's been a SAVAGE out there.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

If we don't franchise Fuller, who's to say he even wants to come back to the Bears? It feels like an Alshon Jeffery-ish type of situation.

However, if I'm Pace, I'd do whatever I can to keep both because they've been complementing each other really well this season.
Never Die Easy
Funkster
MVP

Yes, bring them both back and Callahan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I really like the Bears secondary, Prince, Fuller, Amos, Jackson, Callahan and LaBlanc. I feel with adding one more solid pass rusher, these guys will be legit come next season.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

It completely depends on the new coach and his defensive scheme. I think Amukamara was only OK in Fewel's scheme in NY for instance, and was much better in Jax and here in Chicago. Fuller should get an incentive laden contract and let him continue to stay hungry for the team and his own sake.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think you definitely try to bring them both back. Fuller is quietly playing as well as any corner in the NFL and Amukamara has said that he's tired of hopping teams.

All the more reason to bring them both back.
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:Yes, bring them both back and Callahan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I really like the Bears secondary, Prince, Fuller, Amos, Jackson, Callahan and LaBlanc. I feel with adding one more solid pass rusher, these guys will be legit come next season.
Eh. Callahan is hit and miss for me. He’s not a great tackler and he struggles to stay healthy. If I have to keep LeBlanc or Callahan, I keep LeBlanc. And I draft a Nickel somewhere in the first 100 picks.
ysleblanc
MVP

Funkster wrote:Yes, bring them both back and Callahan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I really like the Bears secondary, Prince, Fuller, Amos, Jackson, Callahan and LaBlanc. I feel with adding one more solid pass rusher, these guys will be legit come next season.

I can agree with that, but the cost has to make sense. At worse I think they have to keep at least one.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

As much as we'd probably all like to forget it, the Bears have Cooper on the books at the moment earning $5m+. I'd happily cut him and put a big chunk of the cap space he would otherwise take up ($4.5m next year and $5m in 2019 after dead money is deducted) towards re-signing Amukamara, Fuller and Callahan.

For reference, cap hits this year:
Amukamara $7m
Fuller $3.082m
Callahan £0.615m
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:As much as we'd probably all like to forget it, the Bears have Cooper on the books at the moment earning $5m+. I'd happily cut him and put a big chunk of the cap space he would otherwise take up ($4.5m next year and $5m in 2019 after dead money is deducted) towards re-signing Amukamara, Fuller and Callahan.

Amukamara $7m
Fuller $3.082m
Callahan £0.615m
We can get rid of Cooper for $1 million in dead money.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
HisRoyalSweetness wrote:As much as we'd probably all like to forget it, the Bears have Cooper on the books at the moment earning $5m+. I'd happily cut him and put a big chunk of the cap space he would otherwise take up ($4.5m next year and $5m in 2019 after dead money is deducted) towards re-signing Amukamara, Fuller and Callahan.

Amukamara $7m
Fuller $3.082m
Callahan £0.615m
Cooper has to be gone. Callahan I'd bring back only if he's cheap, serviceable but flatters to deceive. I'd hope we can get Fuller for around $50m over 5 and Amukamara for $35m over 5.

It'll be like when we signed Peanut and Vasher in the same off-season, hopefully one of them doesn't get injured immediately afterwards.

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm hoping we could sign one of them this year and use to some of our current cap space. Though I'll be honest idk where we are sitting at right now.
BR0D1E86
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote:I'm hoping we could sign one of them this year and use to some of our current cap space. Though I'll be honest idk where we are sitting at right now.
We’re at about 40 m in space, but by cutting players we all universally agree are dead weight we can pretty easily get to about 70 I think.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

Amukamara $7m
Fuller $3.082m
Callahan £0.615m
Cooper shouldn't have been on this roster after the Steelers game let alone have lasted an entire season.