Steelers - Shazier remains hospitalized with spinal injury

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Steelers’ Ryan Shazier remains hospitalized after scary spinal injury
Ryan Shazier, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ linebacker who suffered a scary spinal injury in the game Monday night, remained hospitalized Tuesday in Cincinnati, undergoing further testing.

“He will continue to be monitored and treated by the neurosurgery experts at UC Medical Center until he has been cleared to return to Pittsburgh,” his doctors, David Okonkwo of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Joseph Cheng of the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, said in a joint statement Tuesday afternoon. “It is expected that Ryan will undergo additional testing and evaluation over the next 24 to 48 hours, and he will then return to Pittsburgh to receive further evaluation and care at UPMC.”

Shazier was injured in the first quarter of a brutal game when he lowered his head on a hit to Bengals wide receiver Josh Malone. Shazier immediately clutched at his back and rolled over before being immobilized by the medical staff and taken to UC Medical Center. The NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Shazier had some movement in his lower extremities, with the ensuing 24-48 hours being “key for increased improvement.” He was not expected to require surgery at this point and reports varied on the nature of his injury.
if you watch the replay of his attempted tackle, it is a classic study on how not to tackle

he got himself in position to make the stop ok, but then lowered his head to make contact ... top of his helmet to the runner's hip, and Shazier came out on the worst end of it ... and he knew it as he was in obvious discomfort before being carted off and to the hospital
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Yeah, coach always preached : "Eyes on the dirt, gonna get hurt"
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Richie
MVP

Spinal stabilization surgery yesterday, after being air-lifted to Pittsburgh.

They don't know if he'll play again, and it will be months before they can even get a read on anything like that.

Feel for the guy, that's terrible. However, as you mentioned, that clip should be show to young kids who fancy tackling with their head down.
GSH
MVP

jonny knox should give him a call