Brady, Belichick, & the Patriots are starting to break apart

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/ho ... r-struggle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fascinating read. I guess Brady and Belichick are at each other's throats over training methods and who's more important to the franchise. So weird. Players referring to Brady as "sir" and going to his weird pseudo-science training facility over using the Pats facilities.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

also of note is the apparent explanation about the jimmy g situation.

The Patriots repeatedly offered Garoppolo four-year contract extensions, in the $17 million to $18 million range annually that would go higher if and when he succeeded Brady. Garoppolo and Yee rejected the offers out of hand, for reasons that remain unclear, and the Patriots knew they couldn’t make any promises to Garoppolo about the timing of a transition at quarterback without it getting back to Brady.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

also HILARIOUS?!??!?!

At the same time, as his age has increased, Brady has become an advocate of positive thinking. Belichick's negativity and cynicism have gotten old, Brady has told other Patriots players and staff. He feels he has accomplished enough that he shouldn't have to endure so much grief. Patriots staffers have noticed that, this year more than ever, he seems to volley between unwavering confidence and driving insecurity. Brady has noted to staff a few times this year that, no matter how many game-changing throws he makes, Belichick hasn't awarded him Patriot of the Week all year.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:also HILARIOUS?!??!?!

At the same time, as his age has increased, Brady has become an advocate of positive thinking. Belichick's negativity and cynicism have gotten old, Brady has told other Patriots players and staff. He feels he has accomplished enough that he shouldn't have to endure so much grief. Patriots staffers have noticed that, this year more than ever, he seems to volley between unwavering confidence and driving insecurity. Brady has noted to staff a few times this year that, no matter how many game-changing throws he makes, Belichick hasn't awarded him Patriot of the Week all year.

that seems like something a bit odd to get his panties in a knot over

I would have thought Brady was simply buried with praise by pretty much everyone ... does he really need a pat on the head from Belichick to feel complete?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

and now the other side speaks :

Brady, Belichick, Kraft blast report of Patriots rift: 'Unsubstantiated,' 'inaccurate'
What the Patriots really need is more motivation while seeking their sixth Super Bowl trophy under Bill Belichick. They appear to have gotten it in the form of a lengthy ESPN story from Seth Wickersham, detailing turmoil among Belichick, Tom Brady and Robert Kraft, because, just like the last time the world was questioning them, they sound angry.

The Pats issued a joint statement from Kraft, Belichick and Brady, lashing back at the ESPN article and calling it and other reports "unsubstantiated, highly exaggerated or flat out inaccurate."

"For the past 18 years, the three of us have enjoyed a very good and productive working relationship. In recent days, there have been multiple media reports that have speculated theories that are unsubstantiated, highly exaggerated or flat out inaccurate," the statement reads. "The three of us share a common goal. We look forward to the enormous challenge of competing in the postseason and the opportunity to work together in the future, just as we have for the past 18 years. It is unfortunate that there is even a need for us to respond to these fallacies. As our actions have shown, we stand united."

Joint statement from Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft, Head Coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady: pic.twitter.com/i555gWZIi6
— New England Patriots (@Patriots) January 5, 2018

If this sounds familiar, it should. The Patriots previously went aggressive and scorched earth in response to the Deflategate claims. After initially agreeing to the league's punishment for Brady, Kraft responded with aggression and said that Brady did not get his due process in the investigation.

The Patriots also blasted the Wells Report when it came out, with Kraft saying there was no hard evidence.

But this is different too, because the story from Wickersham, who is a trusted and well-sourced reporter on these larger-scale NFL stories, is technically a theory. There is no smoking gun for the Patriots simply melting down or having so much in-fighting that ownership is going to blow things up, or that Belichick/Brady are just going to walk away after 2017 is over.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think, as it always does when things near the end, relationships sort of unravel.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Belichek wanting to coach the Gents?

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears ... -113203903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Belichek wanting to coach the Gents?

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears ... -113203903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

insanely baseless speculation
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... ts+Twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and i fuckin love it. living in pats country, this sustains me.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:

that seems like something a bit odd to get his panties in a knot over

I would have thought Brady was simply buried with praise by pretty much everyone ... does he really need a pat on the head from Belichick to feel complete?
Some people thrive on positive reinforcement and positive feedback from their peers and supervisors. Its what keeps them going and especially so when things are stressful or tough. If only the negatives get highlighted while positives are ignored then it creates a bad environment.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Ever read about cults like the moonies, or Scientology? Brady's and his trainer seem to be runing an NFL version
Adipost
MVP

In his defense, Brady gets ripped into in front of the team on a regular basis. Imagine Mike McCarthy trying that with Aaron Rodgers.
Ormazd
MVP

I suspect Brady's play will fall off the cliff next year. Overall, he still had a fine season but he threw a few clinkers in.

He was my fantasy QB and he was shockingly inconsistent.
malk
Head Coach

My early call was/is that Belichick will be exposed a bit once Brady declines or retires, that is if he doesn't chicken out and retire when Brady does.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:My early call was/is that Belichick will be exposed a bit once Brady declines or retires, that is if he doesn't chicken out and retire when Brady does.
Since they traded Jimmy G, I would think Belichick retires when Brady does. Why start all over on a rebuild at this point in his career? Either that or transition to a pure front office job.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i think it's wild to think that bill will just retire when brady retires. dude lives for one thing, and doesnt want his entire legacy to be the lazy "i think bill will be exposed when brady retires" take.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:i think it's wild to think that bill will just retire when brady retires. dude lives for one thing, and doesnt want his entire legacy to be the lazy "i think bill will be exposed when brady retires" take.
I hope you're right, I won't be able to see him fail otherwise.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:i think it's wild to think that bill will just retire when brady retires. dude lives for one thing, and doesnt want his entire legacy to be the lazy "i think bill will be exposed when brady retires" take.
i mean, what are you really saying though? I hate them both but brady is probably the best to ever play the position, and beli is probably the best HC ever. If Belichick retired this year you'd definitely see Brady's play drop off alittle bit, and Belichick's success will probably take a hit when Brady retires.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
malk wrote:
i mean, what are you really saying though? I hate them both but brady is probably the best to ever play the position, and beli is probably the best HC ever. If Belichick retired this year you'd definitely see Brady's play drop off alittle bit, and Belichick's success will probably take a hit when Brady retires.
I don't think there would be any dropoff from Brady if Belichick retired. I think it would be like Manning moving from the Colts to the Broncos. Well, father time could catch up to him too I guess.

Belichick is obviously a good coach, they've been a top ten defence too many times to argue that, but he lucked into a QB that is in GOAT conversation in the 6th round. That GOAT candidate also didn't want to maximise his earnings. Oh and they've been the recipients of more ring chasers than any other team over that period.

I can't stand either of the cheating bastards but you need to get lucky to have that much success. Who are the GOAT candidates who haven't had the great QB?