Titans fire Mularkey

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Looks like they realized Josh McDaniels isn't committed to anyone yet.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so I guess the whole vote of confidence jinx is at work again ... the Titans made that announcement prior to their win over the Chiefs that Mularkey was their guy and would be coming back
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Part of me understands, because they kinda fell ass backwards into the playoffs...but you don't fire a coach that just won the team it's first playoff game in forever.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Part of me understands, because they kinda fell ass backwards into the playoffs...but you don't fire a coach that just won the team it's first playoff game in forever.
Apparently they felt like Mariota was digressing. Plus I'm guessing McDaniels is a logical fit there. Already been announced as a front runner for the job.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

so if you're josh mcdaniels, do you take marcus mariota and an excellent offensive line, or andrew luck's mangled corpse and jim irsay calling you at 3AM?
UOK
Site Admin

@RapSheet
The belief was that #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels would prefer the #Titans over all coaching jobs. The health of Andrew Luck was an issue, as was the high ceiling with Marcus Mariota.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Being a Bears fan, living in Indy I'd love to see the Colts lose another coach they were trying to hire. If McDaniels does indeed go to TN, they will at least be down to their 3rd option (1 - Nagy, 2 - McD). I really hope this all blows up in their face.
-Shu
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so they had a meeting to discuss a contract extension, and the coach instead gets fired?

weird stuff

Mike Mularkey, Titans Mutually Agree To Part Ways Despite Contract Extension Talks
Mike Mularkey and the Tennessee Titans have mutually agreed to part ways, the team announced.

"I want to thank Mike Mularkey for his contributions to our franchise over his tenure with our organization," owner Amy Adams Strunk said in a statement. "He took over our team during a low moment and together with Jon built a solid foundation for our franchise. I appreciated that Mike devoted himself to this team and the community. In fact, we did discuss extending his future with our team over the past week, but in those discussions about the direction of the team, it became evident that we saw different paths to achieve greater success. It is certainly unfortunate that we couldn’t find enough common ground. I generally believe that continuity is the best path for success, but I also view this as an important moment for our football team as we try to make that next step to sustained success on the field. Jon will begin the search immediately to identify that person.”

The news was first reported by ESPN's Field Yates.

The news comes less than 24 hours after it was reported that the team was negotiating the terms of a contract extension for the head coach. Mularkey held a press conference on Sunday in which he said he did not anticipate any staff changes for next year, which would have been the final season of a three-year deal.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

@BenVolin
Even though Titans are interviewing Mike Vrabel, I'm hearing they're going to target an offensive coach. The whole reason for firing Mularkey was he wasn't getting enough out of Mariota and the offense

@BenVolin
3m
That said, a source says the timing might not be right for Josh McDaniels and the Titans. He can't interview until the Patriots' season is over. If Pats make the Super Bowl, that's three weeks from now. Titans might not be able to wait.
BR0D1E86
MVP

So if McDaniels is going to watch Luck stand on the sideline wearing a hoodie in Indy and Shurmer is going to coach the dehydrated husk of Eli Manning in New York, who coaches in Tennessee?

I’d have considered it the best of those three jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adipost
MVP

Boris13c wrote:so they had a meeting to discuss a contract extension, and the coach instead gets fired?

weird stuff

Mike Mularkey, Titans Mutually Agree To Part Ways Despite Contract Extension Talks
Mike Mularkey and the Tennessee Titans have mutually agreed to part ways, the team announced.

"I want to thank Mike Mularkey for his contributions to our franchise over his tenure with our organization," owner Amy Adams Strunk said in a statement. "He took over our team during a low moment and together with Jon built a solid foundation for our franchise. I appreciated that Mike devoted himself to this team and the community. In fact, we did discuss extending his future with our team over the past week, but in those discussions about the direction of the team, it became evident that we saw different paths to achieve greater success. It is certainly unfortunate that we couldn’t find enough common ground. I generally believe that continuity is the best path for success, but I also view this as an important moment for our football team as we try to make that next step to sustained success on the field. Jon will begin the search immediately to identify that person.”

The news was first reported by ESPN's Field Yates.

The news comes less than 24 hours after it was reported that the team was negotiating the terms of a contract extension for the head coach. Mularkey held a press conference on Sunday in which he said he did not anticipate any staff changes for next year, which would have been the final season of a three-year deal.
I read that he refused to fire his OC.

Also, this is hilarious...

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolbigcat/status/952981177501192193
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

damn i think i got some dust in my eyes