the Super Bowl

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Image VS Image

I'm not ready to concede the Patriots have already won this before it is played, but I am willing to concede they are probably going to find a way to win this

the Jaguars failed by seemingly changing to a play-not-to-lose mode in the 4th quarter in the AFC Championship ... the Eagles on the other hand went full on pedal to the metal mode in their destruction of the Vikings ... if they have any chance against the Patriots, they will have to do that same thing ... if they get a lead, don't sit on it - continue to make the lead bigger ... of course the Patriots will have something to say about all of that

that said, I will pick the Iggles in the upset
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

The Super Bowl will be especially interesting for me this year. I leave tomorrow to go visit my brother in Thailand. I have found a British expat sports pub to watch the game at. They are foregoing their own football for a day. It's just going to be strange watching the Super Bowl at 6:30 in the morning. I'm going to be rooting for the Eagles because of the ex bear factor and they are nfc, but not our division. I'll be wearing my number 10 Trubisky shirt :D
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
wab
Mod

Normally I'd say I'm just going to watch for the commercials. But since they are all already online, there's no real surprise there either.

I'm so "meh" about this year that we aren't even having a SB party, and I've had or been a part of a Super Bowl Party since I was like 7.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

there's only a few teams that i outright hate on principle (pack, pats, cowboys, colts), the rest of the league i'm pretty neutral on. i wouldnt have even minded if the vikes had finally pulled it off. i always like an underdog and am excited for the eagles to finally win one. if they do it'll be a great story!
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:there's only a few teams that i outright hate on principle (pack, pats, cowboys, colts), the rest of the league i'm pretty neutral on. i wouldnt have even minded if the vikes had finally pulled it off. i always like an underdog and am excited for the eagles to finally win one. if they do it'll be a great story!
I'd worry about the fucking Giants too. I am old enough to remember that the Bears once had the most Championships and their rivals were the Chicago Cardinals. Then the Cardinals moved and that fucking Lombardi took over the Packers. Next thing you know they had the most championships. The Packers now have 13 to the Bears 9. The Giants now have 8, so if they win another they tie us for second place. If they win two.....well you get my drift.
Richie
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:there's only a few teams that i outright hate on principle (pack, pats, cowboys, colts), the rest of the league i'm pretty neutral on. i wouldnt have even minded if the vikes had finally pulled it off. i always like an underdog and am excited for the eagles to finally win one. if they do it'll be a great story!
I'm not into hating teams "just because". I'll only hate a team if they have players or coaches that I detest. Then, when those people are gone, they're back to neutral in my eyes. For instance, I LOATHED the Lions when they had Schwartz and Suh. Schwartz was such a clown... Then, when they both left, they're kind of back to being "whatever".

I am big BB/Brady fan, so I always like them. However, if Philly wins that's a good story with Foles.

I don't get the mindset of "Pats are going to roll, why watch?" My gut kind of says Philly wins this one. On paper, I pick the Pats... sure. However, the Eagles looked like a special team vs Minnesota.

I think this is going to be a great Super Bowl, to be quite honest.
wab
Mod

I hope so, because on paper this is probably the worst super bowl in recent memory.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
I'm not into hating teams "just because". I'll only hate a team if they have players or coaches that I detest. Then, when those people are gone, they're back to neutral in my eyes. For instance, I LOATHED the Lions when they had Schwartz and Suh. Schwartz was such a clown... Then, when they both left, they're kind of back to being "whatever".
i take that a step further, which i understand alot of people would think i'm an idiot for, but i hate "just because" because of shithead owners. there's others, like jimmy haslam, that are seriously worthy of derision, but the browns are just too sad to hate. jim irsay and jerry jones can go fuck themselves though.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Don't mind either team. It won't piss me off to see either win. I love all the Brady, Belichek hate, I love it. My brother was going off after the Pat win. Lucky MFers this, luck MFers that. I rubbed it in. We have a $20 bet on the game now. He has Philly. I will hate to lose the $$, but that would be the only thing to bother me if the Pats lose.

I am rolling with the Pats. To piss my bro off all the more, I hope it is a landslide win.
wab
Mod

I don't hate the Pats. I'm a little worn out by them I guess, but I don't hate them. I'd prefer to see them win over the Eagles, if only because the Eagles have some of the worst fans in existence and they really don't deserve a championship.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Don't mind either team. It won't piss me off to see either win. I love all the Brady, Belichek hate, I love it. My brother was going off after the Pat win. Lucky MFers this, luck MFers that. I rubbed it in. We have a $20 bet on the game now. He has Philly. I will hate to lose the $$, but that would be the only thing to bother me if the Pats lose.

I am rolling with the Pats. To piss my bro off all the more, I hope it is a landslide win.
I don't hate the Patriots ... I am envious of them and what they have built and how they have built it ... and how they maintain it

Belichick has been a master at simply replacing people when it suits him and having the team still play at a high level ... I remember the fan outcry when Vrabel was sent out of town and to the Chiefs ... he was a key part of their defense for a long time and a favorite, but on Belichick's calendar had reached the end of his shelf life so away he went ... some call it cold blooded ... I call it magical in how he knows when a player has outlived usefulness to him

and when hit with injuries their "next man up" plan actually works ... I know the folks I was watching the AFC Championship with thought the day was done when Gronk wasn't coming back, but Amendola simply accepted the mantle of go-to guy ... he has always been a decent enough player, but he stepped up a little extra when needed

so it won't bother me if the Patriots win yet again ... but I will be rooting for the underdog Iggles
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I actually enjoy watching the Patriots. Like it or not they play in exciting games. Watching Brady reminds me so much of Jordan with the fact that they're never out of the game until the time reaches zero.

There's also no guarantee that the Pats win this game although I think they will.

Between the commercials, Timberlake and obviously the game I'm pretty excited. This is also one of maybe two times a year I get Buffalo Wild Wings so there's that too.
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:ESPN - NFL Best Teams Never to Win Super Bowl (anking-all-32-franchises)

interesting discussion ... 2006 Bears are 27th on the list

27 - 2006 Chicago Bears
Before losing Harris and Brown on the D? Yes. That defense was playing out of this universe prior to that. After? Nah... We were a good team, but we also benefited from a weak NFC that year. I'm not saying we weren't SB caliber (we were certainly the best team in that conference), but we were too flawed to win it all and that was proven.

Also, Being #27 on a list of 51 SB losers and a small-handful of other teams that were upset in conference title games isn't exactly impressive. haha
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Also, Being #27 on a list of 51 SB losers and a small-handful of other teams that were upset in conference title games isn't exactly impressive. haha

so you're saying they can't even win at losing?

:-P
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:Also, Being #27 on a list of 51 SB losers and a small-handful of other teams that were upset in conference title games isn't exactly impressive. haha

so you're saying they can't even win at losing?

:-P
Lol, I guess so.

I've just come to terms with that loss. It doesn't hurt me nearly as bad as the missed opportunities from 2010-2012, the end of the Lovie years with Cutler. To be honest... The 2006 team hit its ceiling, and lost right where they should have. A lot of "what ifs" with the 10, 11 and 12 teams. 12 to a lesser extent than the two formers, most likely. Hell, the 13 team didn't have a prayer in hell at winning in the post-season, but the way that went down probably eats at me worse than Super Bowl XLI does.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

'Madden' sim of Super Bowl 2018: Patriots beat Eagles in the wildest ending ever

the first 3 quarters seem like a normal game ... the 4th quarter was nuts in this
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Arthur Blank, Falcons owner, ‘pissed off’ by Patriots’ 283-diamond Super Bowl rings
Arthur Blank is still mad at Robert Kraft — and Kraft is probably still laughing.

As if the Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead in their Super Bowl loss last season wasn’t bad enough, the Patriots chose to commemorate the comback in the championship rings.

New England’s newest hand hardware feature 283 diamonds, which is a direct reference at the Falcon’s historic collapse.

A full year later, that still isn’t sitting well with Blank.

"I said to Robert, 'You didn't have to do the 28-3 in the ring,'" he said, according to The New York Times. "It kind of pissed me off."

This all could’ve been easily avoided if Atlanta had held on to their precious 25-point lead.

BWA-HA-HA

well Arthur, maybe if you had kept your goofy looking self in the owners box instead of wandering down to the sidelines as if the game was already over when it wasn't, you could have watched and learned some things ... instead, we have this to remember you by as it all went awry :

George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

It’s 5:36 in the freaking morning here. Time to walk a half mile to a pub to watch a game the Bears are once again not in.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I really hate the Pats, I only dislike the Eagles a bit less. I also do NOT want to see the Pats win another SB. That and I would like to see Jeffrey win a SB, only because he was a Bear.

GO IGGLES!
MoFugger
Head Coach

Really hoping Brady gets knocked out this series. Let his "fans" watch Hoyer for the rest of the game.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
malk
Head Coach

I'll never get the chance to go to a Super Bowl, and the halftime show makes me ok with that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

if the NFL screws up this catch it is rigged.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:if the NFL screws up this catch it is rigged.
Thank god they grew a brain for a minute.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

And this is exactly why you don't chase two point conversions in the first half of a game.
beardownbilly
Journeyman

Why didn't Zach Ertz just fall to the ground at the 1 yard line and let the Eagles run out time and kick a FG.

You just know Brady will lead the Pats down to score a TD and win this thing!
docc
Head Coach

FUMBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
beardownbilly
Journeyman

Yes, yes, yes, yes f'ing yes!
docc
Head Coach

.. great game !!
beardownbilly
Journeyman

docc wrote:.. great game !!