Chiefs trade Alex Smith to the Redskins

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I don't think the Vikings go after Cousins. I think they keep Bridgewater or stick with the guy that got them to the NFC title game.
Wounded Bear
MVP

I had forgotten that Bruce Allen was the GM of the 'Skins. That explains why he went after an ageing QB. His dad was famous for signing ageing former stars.

Most teams go for a youth movement of sorts, but George and Bruce Allen are proponents of an AARP movement. Short-sighted bullshit.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Out of curiosity is this trade even legal? Just occurred to me the season is still ongoing and obviously trade deadline was done weeks ago.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:Out of curiosity is this trade even legal? Just occurred to me the season is still ongoing and obviously trade deadline was done weeks ago.

all parties have agreed in principal but it can't become "official" until later ... which seems just hypocritical to me ... if you have rules in place, abide by them instead of the wink-wink nudge-nudge nonsense
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:Out of curiosity is this trade even legal? Just occurred to me the season is still ongoing and obviously trade deadline was done weeks ago.

all parties have agreed in principal but it can't become "official" until later ... which seems just hypocritical to me ... if you have rules in place, abide by them instead of the wink-wink nudge-nudge nonsense
Yeah that's sketchy but ty Boris I missed that part
BR0D1E86
MVP

The absurdity of this is refusing to pay Cousins elite money because you don’t think he’s elite, then turning around and trading assets for a lesser, older quarterback and giving him that money anyway.
Wounded Bear
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:The absurdity of this is refusing to pay Cousins elite money because you don’t think he’s elite, then turning around and trading assets for a lesser, older quarterback and giving him that money anyway.
With all things NOT being equal (meaning RB's/Receivers/Oline, etc.), here are the numbers:

Kirk Cousins, 29 years old - 27 TDs/13 INTs 4,093 Yards 93.9 QBR

Alex Smith, 33 years old - 26 TD's/5 INTs 4,042 Yards 104.7 QBR

So Alex Smith looks better on paper. The thing that would be nagging me if I was making that deal is that last year was fairly exceptional for Alex Smith whereas Kirk Cousins seems to be far more consistent the last 3 years.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
MoFugger
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:The absurdity of this is refusing to pay Cousins elite money because you don’t think he’s elite, then turning around and trading assets for a lesser, older quarterback and giving him that money anyway.
Maybe Cousins is a dick?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i cant be the only person here who's not a fan of kirk? i think his ceiling is andy dalton, and it's pretty telling that both kyle shanahan and jay gruden worked with him and passed.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
With all things NOT being equal (meaning RB's/Receivers/Oline, etc.), here are the numbers:

So Alex Smith looks better on paper. The thing that would be nagging me if I was making that deal is that last year was fairly exceptional for Alex Smith whereas Kirk Cousins seems to be far more consistent the last 3 years.
Smith played for a far superior coaching staff. KC also had the #9 rushing game based on yardage.

Washington was #28 in rushing game yardage. Everybody knew to gameplan for Cousins.

2017 NFL Team Stats - ESPN
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I had a thought and don't flame me for this because I'm not entirely sure, in fact I'm pretty sure, that I wouldn't like this, but just humor me.

The Bears sign Cousins.

What is Biscuit's trade value? Are any of these scenarios possible?

1) Cleveland for the #4 overall (Take Fitzpatrick at 4 and then Smith at 8)
2) Arizona for the #15 and a player. No way we get Chandler Jones, but somebody. (Smith at 8 then either McGlinchey or Key at 15)
3) Buffalo for the #21 and #22 or the #21 and a another pick on day 1 (Smith at 8 and then either McGlinchey, Key or Sutton at 21 / 22)
4) Jacksonville for the #29 (you never know if they hate Bortles) and a player from that defense (Smith at 8 and then Landry for the edge rusher at 29)

Again don't flame me for this idea, and again I'm not saying I support it because ultimately it damages our cap although we could financially do it, but I'm just curious if we can get some good picks / players out of this and if we'd be better off.

The positive out of this is that you do have your QB and for the next five years. You also have additional quality picks in a deep draft.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:

It was a career year for Smith spurred on by heavy involvement from the (future) winningest coach in NFL history. He also had far superior weapons to Cousins.

I think I like Smith as a quarterback more than most. But I think Cousins is quite a bit more talented.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote:I had a thought and don't flame me for this because I'm not entirely sure, in fact I'm pretty sure, that I wouldn't like this, but just humor me.

The Bears sign Cousins.

2) Arizona for the #15 and a player. No way we get Chandler Jones, but somebody. (Smith at 8 then either McGlinchey or Key at 15)
3) Buffalo for the #21 and #22 or the #21 and a another pick on day 1 (Smith at 8 and then either McGlinchey, Key or Sutton at 21 / 22)
4) Jacksonville for the #29 (you never know if they hate Bortles) and a player from that defense (Smith at 8 and then Landry for the edge rusher at 29)

Again don't flame me for this idea, and again I'm not saying I support it because ultimately it damages our cap although we could financially do it, but I'm just curious if we can get some good picks / players out of this and if we'd be better off.

The positive out of this is that you do have your QB and for the next five years. You also have additional quality picks in a deep draft.
What in tarnation...
cblaz11
MVP

"What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard...At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be a rational thought"
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote:I had a thought and don't flame me for this because I'm not entirely sure, in fact I'm pretty sure, that I wouldn't like this, but just humor me.

The Bears sign Cousins.

Wounded Bear
MVP

The Bears sign Cousins.

Although I think Cousins is underrated and has played well for the circumstances he has been in, the thing that I don't like about him is that he will be 30 next year and that is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

I think we need to give Trubisky a fair shot at performing with a real team with real wide receivers and a real OC, hopefully, next year.

Oh, one more thing, asking the board not to "flame you" evidently don't mean shit. :D
Neil deGrasse Tyson
malk
Head Coach

In fairness, you can't flame someone after they've jumped into a volcano.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Bears sign Cousins.

wtf?

there are so many realistic possibilities and scenarios one can choose to contemplate ... why you wasted your time and effort on this scenario is beyond me

2 thumbs down for you
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:

The Bears sign Cousins.

Although I think Cousins is underrated and has played well for the circumstances he has been in, the thing that I don't like about him is that he will be 30 next year and that is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

I think we need to give Trubisky a fair shot at performing with a real team with real wide receivers and a real OC, hopefully, next year.

Oh, one more thing, asking the board not to "flame you" evidently don't mean shit. :D
Not that I ever thought this was a great idea and doable, but putting the team into a position to win is more important than loyalty to any player. For the record I like Biscuit a lot. With a QB like Cousins out there I think its worth at least asking the question.

Its better than sounding like those fair weather meatball 'hawks fans out there. UHHHHHHHHH TAZER, KANER, SHARPIE!!!! UHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
wab
Mod

With a QB like Cousins out there I think its worth at least asking the question
No, it really isn't. The Bears just gave up a lot to move up one spot in the draft to take the QB of the future, and now you are suggesting that they trade him away in favor of a 30yr old FA.

In what universe does that make sense?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the potential dram with Cousins may not be over ... Redskins contemplating a tag and trade move (which could blow up on them in spectacular fashion) :

Redskins consider tagging Kirk Cousins to trade him
In what sets up as an offseason game of chicken that would markedly influence the quarterback market, the Washington Redskins will consider placing their franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins so they can trade him and recoup some of the compensation they are sending to Kansas City for quarterback? Alex Smith, per league sources.

Tagging Cousins would prevent him from becoming a true unrestricted free agent, able to sign where he wants once the new league year opens March 14, and could impact how other teams approach free agency and the draft. Without a franchise tag, Cousins would be considered the NFL's top available free agent, expected to draw interest from Arizona, Denver, the New York Jets and other quarterback-needy teams.

But Washington might want a say in where Cousins winds up, which would enable the Redskins to try to extract compensation in the 2018 draft rather than having him walk away for nothing this year.

However, Cousins still would be able to wield some control of the situation and could force Washington into a challenging if not uncomfortable situation. Washington could not trade him until he signs the franchise tag, and if Cousins wanted, he could delay signing it for weeks or even months, with the Redskins having to count his approximate $34.5 million against their salary cap.

Cousins also could tell any of Washington's potential trade partners that he is unwilling to sign a long-term deal there, dampening that team's enthusiasm for surrendering a top draft pick for his services and holding up any potential trade.
seems if they do use the franchise tag on him, they are setting themselves up to allow Cousins to really twist them in the wind ... and why wouldn't he do just that? if for no other reason than as a 'fuck you' to idiot Bruce Allen
George Carlin