Chiefs trade Alex Smith to the Redskins

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Let the QB carousel begin.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/ka ... 08249.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wow, that's weird.
Wounded Bear
MVP

So, what does that mean for Kirk Cousins. Wonder where he'll wind up.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

holy shit, and the redskins are giving alex smith a 4 year extension.

Chris Mortensen@mortreport

On the agreement in principle. Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the extension and $70 million in guarantees. Nobody will be able to review that contract for awhile because officially there is no contract.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:holy shit, and the redskins are giving alex smith a 4 year extension.

Chris Mortensen@mortreport

On the agreement in principle. Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the extension and $70 million in guarantees. Nobody will be able to review that contract for awhile because officially there is no contract.
this has got to be a move to spread his cap hit out with some kind of option to drop him later down the line if it doesnt work out.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it's being reported now that the browns tried to trade for him as well. which makes the chiefs look pretty baller. they got their qb of the future, with a year to groom him. and teams got into a bidding war for their old qb.

it's like EXACTLY what happened to us with trubs and glennon.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

It's weird to me. I thought cousins was better than Smith. Plus Smith is 4 years older. Guess that's Snyder for you
Wounded Bear
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:it's being reported now that the browns tried to trade for him as well. which makes the chiefs look pretty baller. they got their qb of the future, with a year to groom him. and teams got into a bidding war for their old qb.

Yeah, so we should be waiting for the bidding war to begin on Glennon?
Last edited by Wounded Bear on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Cousins doesn't want to be there must be
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Watch cousins end up in Minnesota
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

god damn chiefs got kendall fuller and a third rounder
Wounded Bear
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:Watch cousins end up in Minnesota
Do you think they're not sold on Keenum?

Bridgewater and Bradford are both free agents.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I fucking hope not, but it would be a good move for him.
malk
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:it's being reported now that the browns tried to trade for him as well. which makes the chiefs look pretty baller. they got their qb of the future, with a year to groom him. and teams got into a bidding war for their old qb.

Yup, just until he's been he 5 years and thrown over 100 touchdowns, 65%+ completions whilst maintaining a 95 QB rating...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mshu7
Pro Bowler

They are a QB away from multiple SB runs. They have the defense and most of the offense. I think it makes the most sense, unfortunately, but money will be the deciding factor.
-Shu
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:

I can hear it now....

OK so the latest offer is 10 footballs? Is anybody offering 11? Oakland is offering 11. Anybody offering 12 footballs?

Cleveland is offering 12 footballs, but they're deflated. OK fine, we can inflate them. Throw in a burlap sack to hold them and you've got a deal! 12 footballs and a burlap sack it is!
cblaz11
MVP

I would think the obvious landing spot for him is Denver no?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am thinking Denver as well. I can see Elway going full bore after him. That team is ready to win as well.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Foreskins seem to be in a state of denial in regards to Cousins ... one week they say how important he is, the next about how it is a tam game, yadda yadda yadda ... wouldn't surprise me if they initiated some sort of bitch move negative campaign against Cousins

Otis Day wrote:I am thinking Denver as well. I can see Elway going full bore after him. That team is ready to win as well.
what about Jacksonville? Bortles doesn't seem to have a lock on his position there (his 4th quarter against the Patriots didn't help his cause), and that team is also ready to win
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Dude shut your piehole. That would suck.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Everyone talks about Cleveland as the worst run franchise in the NFL. Washington HAS to be a close second. What the hell is up with this trade? He did jack shit in SF. Smith is 34, and his success most likely came due to scheme and coaching as it did anything else. He has also benefited from a really solid run game the last few years. Once again, I just have no idea what Snyder is doing. I wonder what Washington fans are thinking right now.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Everyone talks about Cleveland as the worst run franchise in the NFL. Washington HAS to be a close second. What the hell is up with this trade? He did jack shit in SF. Smith is 34, and his success most likely came due to scheme and coaching as it did anything else. He has also benefited from a really solid run game the last few years. Once again, I just have no idea what Snyder is doing. I wonder what Washington fans are thinking right now.

Snyder and his butt boy Allen are all about showing players (and others) who is boss, regardless of what it may or may not do to the team

Allen was asked if negotiations with Cousins were under way once their season ended and he gave a very generic non-informative response ... so it was almost as if they had decided when the season ended they had no intention of even appearing to try to keep him
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Washington sure seems like a conflicting place to be. A lot of guys go there due to Snyder's obscene contracts, but they never seem to make a splash. Their coaches are mediocre and often leave early if they conflict with Snyder, and the only good GM they had in this era was booted because of issues with alcoholism.

I get the sense their fans are very frustrated, but aren't we all?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Put me down for the jets as the spot for Cousins. New OC Bates is a Shanahan system guy and Cousins thrived under Shanahan. Also the Jets have a ton of cap space and can afford to sign him.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they knew they weren't going to be able to sign Cousins to a long term deal. They haven't been able to do so yet to date.

If that is the case, then I think it's a pretty good move for the Skins honestly.

As far as where Cousins ends up...my dark horse team has always been the Jets, but Denver makes a ton of sense.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Washington sure seems like a conflicting place to be. A lot of guys go there due to Snyder's obscene contracts, but they never seem to make a splash. Their coaches are mediocre and often leave early if they conflict with Snyder, and the only good GM they had in this era was booted because of issues with alcoholism.

Yeah, but that was almost certainly a lie leaked by either bruce allen or dan snyder out of some weird spite because they are both pieces of shit. All the player who had interactions with Scot McCloughan loved him and said he wasnt struggling.

The theory that they basically gave Alex Smith a 4 year extension to spit in Cousin's face hold alot of water with me.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
UOK wrote:Washington sure seems like a conflicting place to be. A lot of guys go there due to Snyder's obscene contracts, but they never seem to make a splash. Their coaches are mediocre and often leave early if they conflict with Snyder, and the only good GM they had in this era was booted because of issues with alcoholism.

Yeah, but that was almost certainly a lie leaked by either bruce allen or dan snyder out of some weird spite because they are both pieces of shit. All the player who had interactions with Scot McCloughan loved him and said he wasnt struggling.

The theory that they basically gave Alex Smith a 4 year extension to spit in Cousin's face hold alot of water with me.

financially, the 4 year extension they gave Smith was in the same ballpark as what they refused to pay Cousins a year ago

Alex Smith gets long-term deal Redskins wouldn't give Cousins
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
Do you think they're not sold on Keenum?

Bridgewater and Bradford are both free agents.

all 3 are set to be free agents in March ... so the Vikings will likely go all in on luring Cousins
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

they way players on the vikes have been talking about bridgewater in the last week makes you think that that's who the vikes are sticking with.

i really doubt they scrap it all and go after cousins.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I went on the Washington Redskins forum pages. Almost all of the posters were like, 'what the fuck is this?' A couple of the 'I have had it with franchise,' and a few who seemed to think that the Skins were going to take a QB this year in the first round, and that Smith was more or less a bridge.