Yet another change to what a catch is?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

I can't believe Collinsworth fought so hard against the Ertz catch. The guy caught it, had clear control for 3 steps, broke the plane with ball in control, and the ground caused a fumble.

It was a clean, easy touchdown catch, yet Collinsworth is insisting it be overturned and was analyzing frame-by-frame like the Zapruder film. There was no reason for any drama.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Nothing says thrilling more than having to wait 2-3 minutes for some middle aged white dude to make a decision after watching what just happened on a Microsoft Surface.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I can't believe Collinsworth fought so hard against the Ertz catch. The guy caught it, had clear control for 3 steps, broke the plane with ball in control, and the ground caused a fumble.

It was a clean, easy touchdown catch, yet Collinsworth is insisting it be overturned and was analyzing frame-by-frame like the Zapruder film. There was no reason for any drama.
yep that was incredibly brutal, and i normally like collinsworth.

if they had overturned the clements catch, that would have been bullshit but i would have understood where they were coming from.

if they had overturned the ertz catch i'd still be out in the street burning cop cars and chucking bricks through starbucks windows right now.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I can't believe Collinsworth fought so hard against the Ertz catch. The guy caught it, had clear control for 3 steps, broke the plane with ball in control, and the ground caused a fumble.

That pissed me off to no end. The dude caught the ball, took three fucking steps with the ball SQUEEZED in his hands, and then he dove into the endzone.

Here's a shocker for idiots like Collinsworth: if you're a runner, the SECOND that the ball broaches the goal line the play is dead and it's a touchdown.

I don't know if he's stupid or if he was pandering to Patriots Nation.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

I took Collinsworth's remarks as more of an indictment on NFL rules than pandering or fighting against the catch. It was like "with how stupid these rules are, and how confusing everything is, you know it has to be overturned right?"

Almost in a way that says "it's a catch, but you all know what's going to happen right?"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

just curious if anyone know the actual definition in the rules as to when a receiver becomes a runner ... 2 steps with the ball? 3?

I know it is more than 1

there is no way to know just from watching games because each game the shit is called differently
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin