Update 2: McDaniels gives Colts the finger, stays in NE

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://nfltraderumors.co/increasing-cha ... -patriots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that there’s “increasing chatter” throughout the day that Patriots OC Josh McDaniels could decide to remain in New England instead of taking the Colts’ head-coaching job.

According to Florio, some believe McDaniels would be remaining with the Patriots if Bill Belichick surprisingly retires after the Super Bowl. Florio adds that McDaniels likely would need a significant pay raise and a firm commitment from the Patriots if he’s going to stay in New England and not receive a promotion.

Earlier in the day, Florio reported that McDaniels has yet to inform the Patriots that he’ll be taking the Colts’ head-coaching job as reports have said for weeks now.

Florio added this doesn’t mean McDaniels will back out of the presumed deal with the Colts, but there’s reportedly a “strange vibe that has been floating around as it relates to the question of whether McDaniels absolutely, positively is leaving.”

The Colts held a second interview with McDaniels last week, which was considered a formality and an opportunity for owner Jim Irsay to sign off on the hire. However, Florio says that others believe the goal of the second interview was to sell McDaniels on Irsay.

If McDaniels were to snub the Colts, Florio thinks he’ll have a hard time getting another head-coaching job.

McDaniels, 41, began his NFL coaching career with the Patriots as a personnel assistant back in 2001. He worked his way up to offensive coordinator in New England before he departed for the Broncos head-coaching job in 2009.

Unfortunately, things didn’t go very well for McDaniels with the Broncos and he was fired during his second year with the team.

After a brief stint with the Rams as their offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, McDaniels returned to the Patriots and has been running their offense ever since.

We’ll have more regarding McDaniels as the news is available.
wab
Mod

Jesus. This guy can't get out of his own way.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Who is chattering? Strange vibe to who?

I could care less either way, I mean, I wouldn't touch the Colts with someone else's 40 ft pole.
UOK
Site Admin

Would be cool to see Toub get a shot finally, though.
YOGABBA
Rookie

I remember when I questioned why everyone was so high on McDaniels, and I was told by a poster here that I was an idiot for asking the question.
UOK
Site Admin

YOGABBA wrote:I remember when I questioned why everyone was so high on McDaniels, and I was told by a poster here that I was an idiot for asking the question.
Yawn.
YOGABBA
Rookie

It wasn't you.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

if this is true, it's totally possible that it's not even on mcdaniels, and instead jim irsay just got cold feet. my guess when i saw this originally wasnt toub but maybe irsay was like "bring me defilippo" after last night? which would be fucking absurd after the pats put up 33 points and almost 600 yards. but it's jim irsay we're talking about.
wab
Mod

RustyTrubisky wrote:if this is true, it's totally possible that it's not even on mcdaniels, and instead jim irsay just got cold feet. my guess when i saw this originally wasnt toub but maybe irsay was like "bring me defilippo" after last night? which would be fucking absurd after the pats put up 33 points and almost 600 yards. but it's jim irsay we're talking about.
I was wondering the same thing, except I thought Reich over Flip. I also started to wonder if a lot of Lions fans are doing a little hand-wringing this morning.
YOGABBA
Rookie

wab:

The one game argument is really overblown. Lovie's defense gave up 29 points when they lost in the 2003 playoffs, but that didn't stop him from producing great defenses here. By the one game logic, shouldn't NE's offensive performance last night make McDaniels that much hotter of a candidate.
wab
Mod

YOGABBA wrote:wab:

The one game argument is really overblown. Lovie's defense gave up 29 points when they lost in the 2003 playoffs, but that didn't stop him from producing great defenses here. By the one game logic, shouldn't NE's offensive performance last night make McDaniels that much hotter of a candidate.
OK?

The point remains though. Because that's how things work.
YOGABBA
Rookie

wab:

Yes, the "sky is falling" pollyanna types will certainly do that. Those are the same people who look at KC's offense in their playoff game, and think Nagy will be a flop. Your smarter fans will know not to judge things based off one game. I'm sure there are more than a few smart fans in Detroit.
Wounded Bear
MVP

YOGABBA wrote:I remember when I questioned why everyone was so high on McDaniels, and I was told by a poster here that I was an idiot for asking the question.
What does that have to do with this? This rumor doesn't prove anything one way or the other.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

the football men were able to work out their football differences, josh is officially the new colts head coach.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Net he was angling for more money/ control.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Ballard will not be giving up any control. Interested to see how this works out. I think if Luck gets healthy, this team can take off. They have mega $$ bucks to spend.
wab
Mod

Should be interesting. As long as Irsay stays out of everything, they could be pretty good pretty soon.
YOGABBA
Rookie

wab:

Maybe Ballard/McDaniels worked out a way to give Irsay briefcases of cash and pills to keep him occupied.
docc
Head Coach

Aw..go get your security blankie and go to your "safe space".. It will all be better..

maybe..
YOGABBA
Rookie

docc:

Please be funnier.

TIA.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:
Aw..go get your security blankie and go to your "safe space".. It will all be better..

maybe..

unless Lucy comes along ...

or Snoopy

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Back to McDaniels please.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Colts have a new coach in Patriots’ Josh McDaniels
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) The Indianapolis Colts waited 22 days to make Josh McDaniels their coach. On Tuesday, they got it done.

The team announced the hiring of New England’s longtime offensive coordinator on its Twitter account. Word leaked last month that the sides were close to a deal.

”We are excited to welcome Josh McDaniels, who has agreed to terms as our new head coach!” the post read. ”Press conference scheduled for Wednesday.”

He succeeds Chuck Pagano, who was fired Dec. 31, and inherits a team that finished 4-12 in a season without injured quarterback Andrew Luck. Contract terms were not immediately available.

In McDaniels, the Colts get a five-time Super Bowl champ who has been considered one of the best young offensive minds in football and a top-tier head coaching candidate the past several years. He had been a head coach in Denver.

The hiring comes a day after the Detroit Lions landed Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia as their coach, meaning the AFC champions must find two new coordinators.

Until the Patriots’ season ended, with Sunday’s Super Bowl loss, NFL rules prohibited Indy from saying or doing anything with McDaniels.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Josh McDaniels has a second chance with Colts to get it right as head coach
Josh McDaniels was hired to his first head-coaching job at age 32. The Denver Broncos tried to make him Sean McVay before anyone knew who McVay was.

It was a debacle. The Broncos screwed up badly by giving him full control of the front office right away. He alienated players almost immediately. He alienated everyone else over time as well, and it’s not like he was around long. McDaniels won his first six games that first season, in 2009. He was 5-17 after that and to this day, his name is a curse word in Denver. He was clearly in over his head.

McDaniels rehabilitated his career (after a bad season as St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator, which everyone has forgotten by now) back with the New England Patriots. He became a hot candidate again. And after taking his time to find the right job, he decided to become the Indianapolis Colts’ next head coach. The team made it official on Tuesday.

While McDaniels is just 41 years, this feels like it’s his last chance to make it as a head coach. If he follows up a total failure in Denver by screwing up in Indianapolis, it would be hard to see him getting a third shot. It’s now or never.
and of course Bears fans can thank or curse the McDaniels Reign of Error in Denver because that was what got Jay Cutler to Chicago
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

ESPN just had a blurb on the bottom that mcdaniels turned down the Colts and he’s staying in NE. Can’t find a link though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BR0D1E86
MVP

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballt ... riots/amp/
The Colts announced today that they had hired Josh McDaniels to be their next head coach. One problem: McDaniels still hasn’t announced that he’s taking the job.

And that’s because McDaniels is not taking the job.

McDaniels has decided to stay with the Patriots, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:the football men were able to work out their football differences, josh is officially the new colts head coach.
holy shit, we regret to inform you that the big football men cannot iron out their football differences.
wab
Mod

Holy shit. He’s gotta be putting all his eggs in the Pats basket hoping to take over for B.B. because he just lost any chance he ever had at becoming a HC outside of that organization.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Sounds to me that the Colts just got lucky.
wab
Mod

The guy was on the phone HIRING COACHES this morning. Not to mention the existing assistants that had signed contracts in Indy under the assumption that McDaniels would be the coach.

Jesus Christ. He may actually be an even worse person now than he was in Denver.