Update 2: McDaniels gives Colts the finger, stays in NE

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Man, even if he's got an understanding that he's going to be the next HC of the pats, whenever that happens, after doing those assistant coaches dirty, how does he hire his own staff? McDaniels is going to inherit a pats team without Brady and he's going to have a fucking scarlet letter on his ass.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

You reap what you sew.

Mark it down, he will be a failure as a head coach within 2 seasons of taking over, gone after 3 and out of the league.

I still can't believe and get over him doing this after hiring assistants, I mean seriously what kind of piece of shit does that? It's one thing to go back on your word when you haven't signed a contract, but this is entirely another. It is fitting he is staying with the organization caught cheating more than anyone, that's best/top player dodges shaking hands with opponents after being beaten and who's coach may be the greatest ever and yet still be the biggest jackoff in the NFL.

Sometimes success isn't worth selling your soul to the devil and I would assume the rest of the nfl, including the league offices are looking upon this entire episode with critical eyes.

I hope Brady falls off a cliff with father time and the rest of the NFL roles them repeatedly, especially when old josh takes over.

Plus if I was Tom I might be a little leery, especially when playing the colts. I would suspect it is going to be worth it to a few of their players to take a couple 15 yd roughing the passer long after the ball is gone penalties to make Tom look cross eyed at McD.

Thank god for pace not falling for him.
malk
Head Coach

What an absolute nozzle.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
beardownbilly
Journeyman

Absolutely brutal write up on the story by the IndyStar, I've not read a piece as damning as this in a long time!!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/02/06/doyel-josh-mcdaniels-selfish-little-jerk-but-did-colts-indy-favor/304619002/

What an absolute douche, he has pretty much resigned himself to one job opportunity now as the other 31 teams won't touch him after this debacle. It'll be interesting to see how he copes and how he's viewed once he doesn't have Brady.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

YOGABBA wrote:Thank God Pace dodged this bullet.
Yeah what you said!

Pace is looking smarter and smarter with every coaching hire, or non-hire, this offseason.
wab
Mod

10 bucks says Lovie Smith is the next HC of the Colts. The Mike Phair connection is real folks!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Yeah what you said!

Pace is looking smarter and smarter with every coaching hire, or non-hire, this offseason.
Christ man. I was SO, SO against McDaniels for this very reason. Crooked trees don't suddenly grow straight. Joshy is who he is, and now his actions in Denver seem to be the norm rather than a growth experience.

Nice work Pace!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:You reap what you sew.

Mark it down, he will be a failure as a head coach within 2 seasons of taking over, gone after 3 and out of the league.

I still can't believe and get over him doing this after hiring assistants, I mean seriously what kind of piece of shit does that? It's one thing to go back on your word when you haven't signed a contract, but this is entirely another. It is fitting he is staying with the organization caught cheating more than anyone, that's best/top player dodges shaking hands with opponents after being beaten and who's coach may be the greatest ever and yet still be the biggest jackoff in the NFL.

Sometimes success isn't worth selling your soul to the devil and I would assume the rest of the nfl, including the league offices are looking upon this entire episode with critical eyes.

I hope Brady falls off a cliff with father time and the rest of the NFL roles them repeatedly, especially when old josh takes over.

Plus if I was Tom I might be a little leery, especially when playing the colts. I would suspect it is going to be worth it to a few of their players to take a couple 15 yd roughing the passer long after the ball is gone penalties to make Tom look cross eyed at McD.

Thank god for pace not falling for him.
I had NO idea he had already agreed in principle to take the job, and had started hiring assistants. What a piece of shit. Just WOW!
YOGABBA
Rookie

Bears Whiskey Nut:

At the very least, the Colts got through the McDaniels era quicker than the Broncos did.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

YOGABBA wrote:Bears Whiskey Nut:

At the very least, the Colts got through the McDaniels era quicker than the Broncos did.
:rofl:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

All the questions left for the Colts in the Josh McDaniels fallout
The Colts released a statement saying they were "surprised and disappointed." Do they have any legal recourse?

It's highly unlikely. By all accounts, McDaniels never signed a binding contract. That's why the Colts used the phrase "agreed to terms" in their initial announcement -- a description of what happened, but largely irrelevant in a legal sense. You can't violate a contract you didn't sign.

Does McDaniels' decision to back out violate any league rule?

It doesn't appear that McDaniels broke any rule here. The NFL doesn't recognize moves -- roster adjustments, trades, hirings or firings -- until they are official and approved. From a league perspective, McDaniels never stopped being the Patriots' offensive coordinator. The Colts do not appear to have a platform from which to file a grievance.

So that's it? No consequences?

At least some teams, owners and assistant coaches will wonder whether they can trust McDaniels' word. We don't know everything about what happened behind the scenes, but clearly the Colts felt comfortable enough with his commitment to make the announcement. And at least some members of his presumptive coaching staff signed deals to join him.

What happens to those assistants?

Matt Eberflus was slated to be defensive coordinator, Dave DeGuglielmo to be the offensive line coach, Mike Phair to be the defensive line coach and Patriots assistant quarterbacks coach Jerry Schuplinski was also expected to be on McDaniels' staff.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday night that Eberflus and Phair have already signed their contracts and will stay with the team while working under the new coach. The Colts should be commended for honoring their commitments to those coaches, but it's not an ideal situation given that they weren't brought in by the team's next head coach.
kudos to the Colts for honoring the contracts of the assistants that were signed for McDaniels

McDaniels better have gotten a lifetime contract guarantee from Kraft because if the Patriots ever do show him the door, I doubt any other NFL team will show an interest after this bullshit
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
WagonForce
MVP

beardownbilly wrote:Absolutely brutal write up on the story by the IndyStar, I've not read a piece as damning as this in a long time!!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/02/06/doyel-josh-mcdaniels-selfish-little-jerk-but-did-colts-indy-favor/304619002/

What an absolute douche, he has pretty much resigned himself to one job opportunity now as the other 31 teams won't touch him after this debacle. It'll be interesting to see how he copes and how he's viewed once he doesn't have Brady.
You weren't kidding beardownbilly, this snippet from the article had me almost snorting coffee out of my nose:

McDaniels will stay with the New England Patriots as their offensive coordinator. Or maybe he knows something we don’t, and will be replacing Patriots boss Bill Belichick. Hell, I don’t know, maybe Josh McDaniels will give in to his primal urges, shed his human skin and burrow into the insulation in Belichick’s basement.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

WagonForce wrote:
beardownbilly wrote:Absolutely brutal write up on the story by the IndyStar, I've not read a piece as damning as this in a long time!!

You weren't kidding beardownbilly, this snippet from the article had me almost snorting coffee out of my nose:

McDaniels will stay with the New England Patriots as their offensive coordinator. Or maybe he knows something we don’t, and will be replacing Patriots boss Bill Belichick. Hell, I don’t know, maybe Josh McDaniels will give in to his primal urges, shed his human skin and burrow into the insulation in Belichick’s basement.

:rofl:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Heard on the radio (rumor) that Kraft is behind this, another way of saying "F*ck you" to the Colts due to Deflategate. Report said he had been working on McD the past 48 hrs. Offered him mega $$ to stay on.

Who knows. I know I don't give a shit. But one thing I will say, good for McD, keep the kids stable and let them grow up where they currently are.

Let the hate continue....................................................
docc
Head Coach

yogag
..keep posting..I'll do better..
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

I am pulling for Dave toub here

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

greg gabriel has been stanning for chris ballard so hard it's embarrassing.
YOGABBA
Rookie

RustyTrubisky:

He's come unhinged. It's quite embarrassing.
Wounded Bear
MVP

If Kraft/McDaniels are doing this as retribution for deflate-gate, then additional kudos should be given to them for delivering this treacherous news to the Colts on the same day they were burying their recently slain linebacker. Probably an occasion for impromptu circle-jerk in Belichick's office.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

More weird fragments of this train wreck:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... urns-colts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • (McD's agent) LaMonte advised McDaniels that he was making perhaps the biggest professional mistake of his career by backing out of the Colts deal so late in the process
  • LaMonte dumped McD after he went ahead with bailing out
  • LaMonte also represented Colts GM Chris Ballard
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

As a Bears fan living in Indy, I'm loving this! Colts fans are weak and only show up when their team is good. Not to mention that if you take the top off their stadium, even more of them would probably stay home.

After pulling the Nagy rug out from under them and McD giving them the finger, I can't wait to see what their Plan C is. I hope it's not Dave Toub. He deserves better. I really want to see the Colts implode!
-Shu
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I just want Toub to get his chance as I think he more than deserves it. Indy is a good job with or without luck as if he doesn’t come back from injury you have cap and high picks to work with along with an excuse for a season or two for losing and if he does come back you have qb settled for the next 7-10 seasons.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bears interviewed McDaniels, had doubts he would leave the Patriots

One of the reasons the Bears preferred Nagy over McDaniels is that Nagy was eager to take the job. But McDaniels, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, left the Bears with apprehensions about his willingness to leave the Patriots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -patriots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wounded Bear
MVP

mshu7 wrote:As a Bears fan living in Indy, I'm loving this! Colts fans are weak and only show up when their team is good. Not to mention that if you take the top off their stadium, even more of them would probably stay home.

After pulling the Nagy rug out from under them and McD giving them the finger, I can't wait to see what their Plan C is. I hope it's not Dave Toub. He deserves better. I really want to see the Colts implode!
I grew up in Indiana (for the most part) and a lot of my friends were Bear fans. But as the Colts became more settled in Indy as the years went by, I was astonished at how many of my die-hard Bears friends flipped to over to the Colts. I still have bitter feelings about the Colts to this day for that very reason. So your reaction is very similar to mine. I have been giggling like a little girl every time I hear of their recent coaching candidate(s) misfortunes.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Yeah what you said!

Christ man. I was SO, SO against McDaniels for this very reason. Crooked trees don't suddenly grow straight. Joshy is who he is, and now his actions in Denver seem to be the norm rather than a growth experience.

Nice work Pace!
I don't remember, but Nagy was either the first HC hire or one of the first HC hires this offseason. Not once have I had buyers remorse or regrets of any kind after watching things this offseason. In fact quite the opposite.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:if this is true, it's totally possible that it's not even on mcdaniels, and instead jim irsay just got cold feet. my guess when i saw this originally wasnt toub but maybe irsay was like "bring me defilippo" after last night? which would be fucking absurd after the pats put up 33 points and almost 600 yards. but it's jim irsay we're talking about.
I was wondering the same thing, except I thought Reich over Flip.
well, turns out it was mcdaniels, but you still get a gold star.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

how do people feel about Reich as a nfl head coach? what's the low down on him?