Patriots DC Matt Patricia named head coach of Lions

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Patriots DC Matt Patricia named head coach of Lions
Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions officially have a new head man.

The team announced Monday that former New England Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia will be tasked with turning around a Lions team that hasn't won a playoff game since the 1991 season.

"This position comes with great responsibility, and I will commit every ounce of my energy to this football team, starting today," Patricia said in a statement. "My family is excited to become part of this wonderful city that displays so much passion for their teams.

"I can't express enough appreciation to the entire New England Patriots franchise, particularly Robert and Jonathan Kraft and their entire family. I will truly cherish these last 14 years as a member of this incredible organization."

Patricia's hiring comes just one day after the DC fell to Nick Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII. It wasn't the finest performance from Patricia's unit, though Sunday's outcome was more outlier than norm for Patricia-led defenses.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

reports are that he's holding on to Jim Bob Cooter:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ob-cooter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wounded Bear
MVP

Oh, that's what it was. I thought I heard he was holding on to Jim Bob's Cooter.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I wonder how the performance of his "defense" in the Super Bowl makes the Lions feel about the hire.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:I wonder how the performance of his "defense" in the Super Bowl makes the Lions feel about the hire.
I wonder if the Loins are going to sign Malcolm Butler???
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:I wonder how the performance of his "defense" in the Super Bowl makes the Lions feel about the hire.
3 Super Bowls in his 6 yrs as DC. 2-1 record in said Super Bowls. That speaks more than one game. I believe they are probably excited as hell.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Otis Day:

Great post.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:
3 Super Bowls in his 6 yrs as DC. 2-1 record in said Super Bowls. That speaks more than one game. I believe they are probably excited as hell.
That's really not a valid argument in favor of Patricia when you consider the Patriots gave up 41, 28 and 24 points in those Super Bowls.

Do you really believe they won those games BECAUSE of his defensive scheme or did Belichick and Brady have more to do with it?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Otis Day wrote:
That's really not a valid argument in favor of Patricia when you consider the Patriots gave up 41, 28 and 24 points in those Super Bowls.

Do you really believe they won those games BECAUSE of his defensive scheme or did Belichick and Brady have more to do with it?
I watch my share of patriots games living out here in Maine (which it turns out is just northern Massachusetts), and I've thought for awhile that Patricia is a bit overrated.

Like, i dont think he's a bad DC! But it's a job made considerably easier when you've got Belichick and Brady. No one remembers his blunders because they still generally win those games.

Couple that with the fact that his college engineering degree is weirdly fetishized and I dunno, it'll be super interesting to see how he does running things in Detroit.
malk
Head Coach

Hiding under Patricia with a beard is Patricia without a beard.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Wounded Bear
MVP

With Matt Patricia on the sideline, it'll just look like Detroit's homeless problem has reached a whole new level. When he gets introduced to the crowd, they should have him climb out of a make-shift tent and sleeping bag on the side of the field.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson