Patriots don't want Malcolm Butler, but he fits these teams

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

NFL free agency: Patriots don't want Malcolm Butler, but he fits these 5 teams
MINNEAPOLIS — Malcolm Butler went from the hero of the Patriots' Super Bowl 49 win to the zero of the Patriots' Super Bowl 52 loss.

It's a virtual lock that Butler has played his last down for New England, as he becomes an unrestricted free agent in March, fresh off being benched in the Super Bowl.

Butler all but confirmed it himself, sharing his reaction to ESPN reporters to what his coach Bill Belichick called a "football decision."

Patriots’ CB Malcolm Butler to ESPN’s @MikeReiss: “They gave up on me. F—. It is what it is.”

There's no doubt Butler's value and cachet was a bit inflated during his time with the Patriots. He developed from undrafted rookie into steady starter after his famed interception of Russell Wilson to seal a Super Bowl victory in 2015. Butler earned a trip to the Pro Bowl with solid coverage in the '15 season, and he was a terrific ballhawk in '16.

But Butler struggled in '17, as he was exposed as not being a true shutdown corner at 5-11, 190 pounds. Playing opposite newly signed No. 1 corner Stephon Gilmore, there was a glaring difference between the two. Now 27, Butler will hope to find a happy home on a new team in a more comfortable role.

So, where might Butler play in 2018 and beyond? Here are five teams that could use services.

Chicago Bears

The Bears have a solid big corner in veteran Prince Amukamara and they retained defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, who likes to mix up his coverage. That would allow Butler to get the best out of his zone and man-to-man skills without being overwhelmed.
the other 4 teams the article thinks he'd be a good fit for are Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, and Tampa Bay

but screw them

would Malcolm Butler be a nice addition to the Bears? Pace may want some additional info as to why he got into Belichick's doghouse right before the start of the Super Bowl, and maybe that is important, maybe not

when he hits free agency, he will have bidders ... I think perhaps the Bears should be one of them
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think I’d prefer to keep Fuller over Butler. But I’d take Butler over Amukamara.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Butler and Fuller would be a nice duo for the Bears
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Does Butler play outside or is he a nickel?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Does Butler play outside or is he a nickel?

started as a nickle, then became a starter on the outside ... and became a hero in the Super Bowl vs Seattle by reading and jumping the route and making the game winning interception

I am really curious wtf went on to get him benched right before the Super Bowl ... Rowe, his replacement, wasn't told until game time he was starting ... I figured part of the second half adjustments the Patriots would make would be to put Butler out there in his rightful place ... hell, they weren't even using him as a nickle ... special teams only

weird stuff
George Carlin
BearDown333
Rookie

But why in the hell did Belichick not play him? He says it was strictly about football but why wait until after the anthem to let him know? I mean he played something like 98% of the snaps this season. Id wanna know the reason behind this benching first.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I give Belichek all the credit in the world for sitting this guy. Many coaches would think of the win and play whoever at all costs. Did it cost the Pats the Super Bowl......................no one will ever know, but it will be discussed for a good long time. Wonder if we ever hear.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I give Belichek all the credit in the world for sitting this guy. Many coaches would think of the win and play whoever at all costs. Did it cost the Pats the Super Bowl......................no one will ever know, but it will be discussed for a good long time. Wonder if we ever hear.

I doubt Belichick will ever volunteer anything more than he has in way of explanation ... so no, I don't think we'll ever know

it would be nice if Butler did, but apparently he wasn't given the why, just that he wasn't playing
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

1. Fuller (turns 26)
2. Butler (turns 28)
3. Callahan (turns 27)

Not bad.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

At the right price, yes, at the expense of fuller, hell no. Great 3rd corner, ok second corner.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Has Butler had an INT within the past three years? Why yes he has!

Goodbye Prince! Hello Malcolm!

I like the idea that he probably feels slighted for not being in the Super Bowl and with the overall situation with Belichick. He'll play like he has something to prove.