Offseason QB Carousel

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:Report: AJ McCarron is Hue Jackson’s preference at QB
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nce-at-qb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Browns coach Hue Jackson said last week that he “would hope not” to be starting a rookie at quarterback in 2018 and Peter King of SI.com reports that Jackson’s “preference” for a starter is McCarron. Per King, the team would also like to select a quarterback in the draft under that scenario and groom him behind McCarron.

I am 100% on the browns continuing to develop kizer, giving mccarron a mike glennon deal, and taking a QB with one of their first rounders. If they sign mccarron and try to eschew taking a qb i will just shake my damn head.
I think they could take Barkley first and then Jackson or Mayfield 4th. Or wait and take Mike White or Rudolph in the 2nd.
Lamar Jackson? I’d bet several years of salary that he won’t be picked that high. He’s a multi year project.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It's tough though, If I'm planning on taking a qb high in the draft, I want to make sure and get him in the first so I can get his fifth year option. To me in a perfect world I trade up into the end of the first round and get my guy, but also I 100% agree with Ryan Pace that if you've settled on your guy, you get your guy no matter what.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:
wab wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nce-at-qb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Browns coach Hue Jackson said last week that he “would hope not” to be starting a rookie at quarterback in 2018 and Peter King of SI.com reports that Jackson’s “preference” for a starter is McCarron. Per King, the team would also like to select a quarterback in the draft under that scenario and groom him behind McCarron.

I am 100% on the browns continuing to develop kizer, giving mccarron a mike glennon deal, and taking a QB with one of their first rounders. If they sign mccarron and try to eschew taking a qb i will just shake my damn head.
I think they could take Barkley first and then Jackson or Mayfield 4th. Or wait and take Mike White or Rudolph in the 2nd.
Lamar Jackson? I’d bet several years of salary that he won’t be picked that high. He’s a multi year project.
Yeah. He’d be a great option behind McCarron.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
wab wrote:

Yeah. He’d be a great option behind McCarron.
They could get him in the second without breaking a sweat. He’s talented, but he’s not a one year project. He’s going to need a couple years of coaching.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Kirk Cousins is now a free agent. How will these 5 NFL teams try to convince him to sign?
Kirk Cousins hitting the open market is a bit of an unprecedented situation. There have been plenty of other big free agents in the history of the NFL, but a Pro Bowl quarterback in the prime of his career being available to all 32 teams isn’t something that happens often ... or ever.

He’s not a perfect quarterback — his record is 26-30-1 as a starter in Washington — but he’s an efficient passer with three consecutive 4,000-yard passing seasons and 99 career touchdown passes with 55 interceptions.

Cousins, 29, would make a lot of teams much better and that means a bidding war is probably on the way. It will likely end with the quarterback becoming the highest-paid player in NFL history.

With so many teams potentially throwing themselves into the mix, Cousins will have options.

For now, ESPN’s Adam Schefter says the Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, New York Jets and Minnesota Vikings are the favorites. But Cousins isn’t ruling any team out. That means the Cleveland Browns and their more than $100 million in cap space have the resources to jump in the fray too.

Each of those interested teams will have to convince Cousins that they’re the ones to pick. Does he want money? Does he want to win a Super Bowl? Is there a perfect blend of both out there?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This should be an interesting off season. Something I mentioned in another post made me think about how many teams could actually be looking for QB's this offseason - as many as 13 teams could be looking for a QB in some way,
shape, or form this offseason (another reason I think Pace wanted to get his guy a year early). So I thought I'd put proverbial pen to paper and get my thoughts out.

Teams that could alter the draft with Free Agency

Cleveland Browns – Clearly the DeShone Kizer thing didn’t work out the way they thought, but he isn’t beyond saving. He just needs time. But, they have to get someone in to play now because they aren’t a terrible team. At least on paper they aren’t a terrible team. I thought that guy would be Alex Smith, but Washington looks like the beat them to the punch.

• Prediction: Sign Kirk Cousins. John Dorsey’s presence makes this possible, because without that structure, I don't think the Browns are all that attractive of a destination. Cousins is a Midwestern dude who has hinted at wanting to play closer to home in recent interviews and gives the Browns a (at a minimum) a stable veteran for 3-4 years. He's also a really good fit in that offense.

Buffalo Bills – I can’t imagine Tyrod Taylor is going to stick around for too much longer after being jerked around by the Bills.

• Prediction: Draft a rookie. The Bills are a solid team but they need a long term QB. They have two picks in the first round to use as ammo to get one. Whether it’s a trade up for a guy like Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield, or sticking around in the 20’s and taking Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson.

New York Giants – Yeah, Eli Manning isn’t young, but his demise has been greatly exaggerated. He’s still got a couple years left in him and the Mara family is insanely loyal. It’s also important to remember that new HMFIC Dave Gettleman was in the front office when Manning was drafted.

• Prediction: No change. They stay with Manning and Webb. Shurmur was brought in for his QB expertise, among other things. They like Webb and should try and develop him.

Denver Broncos – What a mess. Paxton Lynch wasn’t ready and then he kept getting hurt. The Brockstritch is terrible. Trevor Siemian isn’t all bad, but is heading into the last year of his deal and should probably be a backup. They need a steady veteran that they can count on.

• Prediction: Sign Sam Bradford. Bradford is a good player that has had to bounce around the league for various reasons. He’s a good get for the Broncos who still have a championship level defense. This also gives them a chance to see what they have in Chad Kelly.

New York Jets – Signs are pointing to Josh McCown hanging it up, but even though he had a great year, it’s not like he’s a great QB. They also haven’t hit on their last 3 draft picks at the position.

• Prediction: Sign Tyrod Taylor. The Jets have to be tired of swinging and missing on young QB’s and I imagine Taylor would love nothing more than to give the Bills the finger twice a year.

Arizona Cardinals – They have to move on from Carson Palmer. He’s just too unreliable and injury prone. But that doesn’t mean they are ready to hand the reigns of a largely veteran roster to the hands of a rookie. They need a guy who has been there and can keep a team in transition afloat while they try to rebuild around him.

• Prediction: Teddy Bridgewater. Bridgewater was an ascending player before he got hurt. Rumors are that he’s pretty much back to where he was. He’s a veteran, but he’s still young enough to be a long term answer at the position.

New Orleans Saints – Drew Brees is heading into free agency and the Saints haven’t done a lot to prepare for the future.

• Prediction: Re-sign Brees and draft a rookie. It’ll be a pretty big surprise if Drew Brees isn’t back, but he can’t have much more than one or two years left in him.

Minnesota Vikings – The Vikings are a good team in a precarious position. All three of their QB’s are set to hit free agency. One was a first round pick, one cost them a first round pick, and one was an afterthought. They need to choose, and choose wisely, or they risk losing them all.

• Prediction: Re-sign Case Keenum. This is a situation where you dance with the date that brought you. Letting go of the guy that saved their season and took them to the NFC championship is a good way to fracture a roster.

Other teams to keep an eye on in the draft

Jacksonville Jaguars – There are varying levels of comfort surrounding Blake Bortles. He’s not as bad as everyone like to make him out to be, but if one of the top prospects falls to the bottom of the first round, they could snatch one up.

Cincinnati Bengals – The Bengals are in a similar situation to the Jags. Is Andy Dalton the guy to get them over the hump? AJ McCarron is a free agent who might get an offer as a starting QB somewhere. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them take a QB earlier rather than later.

New England Patriots – We are about to enter into the Favre style “will he/won’t he” retirement talk every offseason. After trading away their two youngsters, they don’t have anyone of note behind Brady (no, Hoyer isn’t anyone of note). This sorta feels like a good spot for said AJ McCarron.

San Diego Chargers – Phillip Rivers is still going pretty strong, but he’s getting up there too. The Chargers would be wise to start planning for the future. I suspect they will look at a guy somewhere between rounds 3-5.

Washington Redskins – Yes they traded for Alex Smith, but he’s not a long term solution. If someone is there in the 2nd or 3rd, don’t be surprised if they pounce.
Dominoes are all falling now, so where are these teams?

-Browns: Traded for Tyrod. Still going to probably draft a QB.

-Bills: If you're interested in trading a pick for anything the Bills have on their roster, they'll take it as they continue to try and move up in the draft board. DEONTE THOMPSON COULD BE OURS AGAIN.

-Giants: They are so drafting a QB at 2.

-Broncos: They love Trevor Siemian so much they signed his doppleganger, Case Keenum. They are going to try and get by not drafting a QB. We'll be having this discussion about them next year.

-Jets: "According to Bryant McFadden of CBSSports.com, the Jets are nearing a deal with Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater." It is anyone's guess if they're still taking a QB at 6.

-Cardinals: Signing Sam Bradford and his degenerate knees. Rumours earlier today that they're going to try and sign Mike Glennon too. REMEMBER THAT MIKE GLENNON GUY? Like the Broncos we'll be having this conversation next year. I feel like Steve Keim doesnt get enough shit for never really solving their QB problem.

-Saints: Bringing back Drew for 2 more years. Do they give it one more year before trying to draft his replacement?

-Vikes: Gave Captain Kirk all the money. I just read this and threw up alittle bit in my mouth:
At the conclusion of this contract, Cousins will have earned $127,896,600 million in 5 seasons. That is all.
I also read this joke on Deadspin and thought it was very good:
Vikings have a long tradition of marrying themselves to cousins.

--------------------------

Beyond that, AJ McCarron is still out there. I guess that's something.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-----------------------

What about Wab's wildcard draft teams?
-Pats
-Jags
-Bengals
-Chargers
-Redskins

Man, wouldnt it be cool if Belichick took Lamar Jackson?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Benjamin Allbright
‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL

Keep an eye on the Patriots for AJ McCarron if the price is right.