Update: Tyrann Mathieu signs w/ Houston Texans

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@AlbertBreer

Texted with ex-Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu on what he's looking for in his next destination: "I wanna go somewhere where football and defense matters." Said he'd love to go to a place where he can immerse himself in the game, and a culture of winning.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's awesome (and hopefully would let us slide on that winning culture thing) but can we afford another $10m guy on our cap in 2018? His last contract is typical of high end DBs: 5 year, $62,500,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including a $15,500,000 signing bonus, $40,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,500,000.
xyt in the discord chats
BR0D1E86
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:He's awesome (and hopefully would let us slide on that winning culture thing) but can we afford another $10m guy on our cap in 2018? His last contract is typical of high end DBs: 5 year, $62,500,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including a $15,500,000 signing bonus, $40,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,500,000.
If you cut Sims and Wheaton that opens up about a 10m salary (minus what it costs to replace them), but that’s a lot to be invested in one position group. He’d be a big addition to the defense though.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I doubt we can have him and Fuller. Anything is possible if you get creative with the cap, but that catches up with you eventually
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
IotaNet
MVP

Also -- doesn't he have pretty banged-up knees at these days?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
MoFugger
Head Coach

I absolutely love the kid, but he just doesn't have that lateral quickness anymore. He is still better than JAG, and if they can get creative with the numbers I would love to have him in navy and orange. But I wouldn't be expecting him to play anywhere near like he used to.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
donkeykong
Player of the Month

MoFugger wrote: I would love to have him in navy and orange. But I wouldn't be expecting him to play anywhere near like he used to.
Like he used to? I don’t really follow the Cardinals, but the guy is 25, has his play fallen that far?!
Funkster
MVP

MoFugger wrote:I absolutely love the kid, but he just doesn't have that lateral quickness anymore. He is still better than JAG, and if they can get creative with the numbers I would love to have him in navy and orange. But I wouldn't be expecting him to play anywhere near like he used to.

Yeah, I love me some Tryann. But I agree, he's been pretty banged up. Hasn't really replicated his stellar 15' season. I really like our current secondary and adding someone like Matthieu could disrupt their mojo.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Richie
MVP

He's going to wind up in Pittsburgh. IMO
Funkster
MVP

If we're spitballin' my guess is Tennessee. Butler and Matthieu sounds like a good combo and they have lots of cap.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
MoFugger
Head Coach

donkeykong wrote:
MoFugger wrote: I would love to have him in navy and orange. But I wouldn't be expecting him to play anywhere near like he used to.
Like he used to? I don’t really follow the Cardinals, but the guy is 25, has his play fallen that far?!
It has. He still has a lot he could offer a team,but he isn't the freak he was 3 years ago. And it's hard to say how much of that is permanent, and how much of that is just him needing to get some confidence back.

UOK
Site Admin

Signs w/ the Texans.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Signs w/ the Texans.
That makes sense for him. He's from New Orleans so Houston is only an hour flight or a pretty easy road trip to get home to see the family
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Funkster
MVP

When I saw his contract I was a bit shocked. That's a steal for his potential on a 1 yr 7M deal. I wonder if the Bears were even talking to him?
Last edited by Funkster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckster
Rookie

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
UOK wrote:Signs w/ the Texans.
That makes sense for him. He's from New Orleans so Houston is only an hour flight or a pretty easy road trip to get home to see the family
Not a good idea. A guy who went to LSU and was in the media for all the wrong things. Sometimes it's good for people to get away from their roots and re-invent themselves. Hope he doesn't fall back into the wrong shit.
IotaNet
MVP

Chuckster wrote: ... Not a good idea. A guy who went to LSU and was in the media for all the wrong things. Sometimes it's good for people to get away from their roots and re-invent themselves. Hope he doesn't fall back into the wrong shit.
I hate to admit it but that's exactly what I thought.

To his credit, he has totally re-invented himself. By all accounts he has become a stable family man who has really gotten his head on straight. I'm praying that he stays that way.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell