NFL Institutes Very Strict Rule on Lowering of Helmet

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Let me simply say that the title of this thread pisses me off. This is not the end of anything. It's not even the beginning of the end of anything.

All this "I watched football because it was a man's game, brutal and violent and people were tough! Now society's all soft and so is this pussified league! And now, NOW they're making goddamn rules saying you can't hit each other!? Rabble rabble rabble rabble, etc."

C'mon. I get it - football used to be a lot less of a mess, and the players were far less protected than they are now, but the sport isn't dead just because there are rules in place to sculpt the game into something that won't result in players having dementia when they're 35 and killing themselves at 45. They want players to be available for the fans to enjoy on TV and in person, but not at the expense of risking their bodily functions and quality of life.

The romance of football is partially the bodily sacrifice these guys make, sure, and the brute violence and physicality is special, but I don't want the NFL to devolve into a reckless game where every year or two a few guys drop dead on the field because it's a "man's game," and a week after a player's inducted into the Hall of Fame he blows his head off in his apartment.
Wow. You aren't one to overdramatize, but you went way WAY overboard here. When has any NFL player dropped dead on the field? We've been trending toward changing the game for safety and now you think if we don't go even further, we'll have "every year or two a few guys drop dead on the field"??? What?!? Ease off the bong there, man. :-P

This is a recipe for potential disaster. And by disaster I mean the NFL may have crossed the threshhold of starting to drive fans away by changing the game in ways that make even more regular good football plays into penalties. Of course, the determining factor is how the officials actually call it.

But by the word of the rule, lowering your body to prepare for impact... which biomechanically results in the head lowering... followed by a hit where the helmet makes first contact... leading with the head is the only way to actually run effectively... against a high speed target which may be changing direction at the time of contact... should lead to many such offenses.

Since we'd all anticipate that the NFL doesn't want to turn the game into a penalty fest, this will result in the letter of the law not being followed in many cases, but then followed in others... Without opportunity for criticism since it follows the letter of the law... This could very well end up being even worse than the catch rule, where the same action gets flagged in some cases but not in others and players end up confused as to what they can and can't do, in actions which conflicts with their historical penalty free play and their body's biomechanical nature.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:Lowering your head in anticipation of receiving a hit doesn't sound like initiating contact to me. My understanding is this rule is aimed at the aggressor, not the player on the receiving end.
I don't think so.
The way it's written, it clearly applies to any contact initiation, both offensive players and defensive players.

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... 07#p200007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If a ballcarrier running forward, lowering their head before the collision occurs isn't something they intend to be called, what offensive situation would be?

Yeah, I dont know how you can square this circle with short yardage dives and QB sneaks.

I am always 100% for player safety but the concern here is how the NFL, who has such a broad history of fucking these things up, is going to fuck it up.
This rule is going to make this year miserable.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WP.1
Player of the Month

no sound/voice

and this is the man in charge of explaining the rule.
WP.1
Player of the Month

He found the graphics control.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well that video sure makes me excited for yellow flags.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Al Riveron is a completely useless jackass and the more he explains things the less clear things become

I am so looking forward to all of his explanations regarding how what we saw with our own eyes isn't actually what happened :roll:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
WP.1
Player of the Month

joke also his 3 good plays (third one lesser) the offense player with complete movement stop and standing upright.

its already included in game highlights.
Patriots-Eagles

1:20 just Unnecessary Roughness
but
7:20 Lowering the Head

in all Lowering the Head 4 times

yes its preseason but
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

Too much padding, not enough practice time and too much praise for big hits over good hits. Tinkering with the rules isn't going to do much for player safety.

Endemic use of PEDs can't help either.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

I think this is like when they over-implemented illegal contact in the pre-season a few years back after the Seahawks made the NFL look like idiots.

Once the season starts, I'm of the opinion that they will only throw the flag if it's egregious.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

I will add that I miss the fuck out of how football was played in the 80s and 90s.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"