Manziel says Browns should have known better than draft him

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Johnny Manziel says Browns should have done their 'homework' before drafting him
Johnny excuses.

In an interview with "The Dan Patrick Show" on Wednesday, Johnny Manziel put blame on the Cleveland Browns for drafting him and not realizing he wasn't someone willing to put in the neccesary work to be an NFL starting quarterback.

"If Cleveland did any of their homework they would have known I wasn't a guy who came in every day and watched film," Manziel said. "I wasn't a guy who really knew the X's and O's of football."

When Patrick asked Manziel what he would have done differently his first time around in the NFL, Manziel said he'd get together with someone who can really explain to him how things in the league worked and the amount of film study needed to go into being a great quarterback in the league.

:rofl:

so him being a retarded failure was the Browns fault, not his? I don't think I've heard a dumber case of finger pointing to take blame away from oneself

and let us also not forget he was reaching out to the Browns and begging them to draft him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I'm not a Manziel fan, but that quote is a bit out of context. He wasn't really blaming the Browns, he was talking about how he wasn't ready for the NFL and that the Browns didn't really do their homework.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

yeah well, he backtracked later and said he knows failing in the NFL was ultimately his fault ... but saying now the Browns should have done their homework (which is a good point) and they would have known he wasn't someone ready to be drafted is just odd and seems to be implying they are culpable in the embarrassment he became
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:yeah well, he backtracked later and said he knows failing in the NFL was ultimately his fault ... but saying now the Browns should have done their homework (which is a good point) and they would have known he wasn't someone ready to be drafted is just odd and seems to be implying they are culpable in the embarrassment he became
Any NFL team that signs him this point forward did not do their homework.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:I'm not a Manziel fan, but that quote is a bit out of context. He wasn't really blaming the Browns, he was talking about how he wasn't ready for the NFL and that the Browns didn't really do their homework.
Totally agree, and totally hate Manziel.

The article is clickbait IMO as the way I took in the context of the interview on fox sports radio it was more like he was saying hey, looking back now I see I had these serious flaws, cleveland should have known I had these flaws and if they wanted to draft me probably should have had a plan to address some of them, but in the end it was my definitely my fault.

On a side note, I don't think any plan was going to save him from himself, but he does make a decent point because Johnny Football's numerous flaws were no secret to anyone, and just like any team that takes a risk on a character flawed player they should probably have a plan to try address those issues.
cblaz11
MVP

At this point, I really wanna see him in the CFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Never hated Manziel... I thought the way he diced Alabama apart and the look he put on Nick Saban's face was fucking fantastic.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

I also thought it was interesting where he said it was a toxic QB room with Hoyer and things got much better when McCown showed up and kind of took him under his wing.

If true, I can see why Pace didn't want Hoyer mentoring Trubisky.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:I'm not a Manziel fan, but that quote is a bit out of context. He wasn't really blaming the Browns, he was talking about how he wasn't ready for the NFL and that the Browns didn't really do their homework.
Well, his nickname was “Johnny football” for god sakes.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

hey, if we're impugning maziel's character, we need to go farther back than just the current generation:

But maybe it isn't so weird. It turns out the Manziels are a much more colorful and interesting bunch than any of the profiles thus far have indicated. Their fortune was indeed made in oil—wildcatting, specifically—but there were also family sidelines in cockfighting, small-time grifting, match-fixing, and, if you believe the federal indictments, cocaine-trafficking and murder. In fact, the first great sporting success under the family name wasn't Johnny Football; it was the Manziel grey gamefowl, bred by Johnny's great-grandfather. The Manziels arrived in Texas after cockfighting was outlawed, but they wound up with a breed named after them anyway.

https://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-t ... 1040593220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;