Seahawks postpone workout with Kaepernick

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Seahawks postpone workout with Colin Kaepernick over his stance on protests
Colin Kaepernick hasn’t played in an NFL game since the 2016 season. This week, he was set to work out with the Seattle Seahawks, but it was then “postponed” when he declined to stop kneeling during the national anthem, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

A source familiar with the situation confirmed that and told SB Nation:

Two weeks ago the workout was being arranged. Colin was enthusiastic about it. The trip and the workout was arranged for a significant period of time and on the eve of his travel, Seattle put the situation on hold. Seattle said it wouldn’t be worth his time and shouldn’t bother with the travel and that it’s not worth coming if he continued kneeling or doing on-field activism. He had to agree in advance if he wanted to go. Colin was focused on his workout and his focus was on being the best football player and performing at the workout. He certainly did not agree to the pre-condition. Literally, this was on the eve of it and they cancelled it. It was supposed to be on Monday.

A source told the Seattle Times that the Seahawks asked Kaepernick about his plans for the upcoming season and his “off the field activities” and Kaepernick said he didn’t know. A 2017 report claimed that Kaepernick would be standing for the national anthem, but it was denied by his girlfriend, Nessa.

The Seahawks are in the market for a No. 2 quarterback behind starter Russell Wilson. They released backup quarterback Trevone Boykin after a domestic assault accusation from his girlfriend. Kaepernick visited with the Seahawks last year, but they opted to sign Austin Davis instead. At the time, coach Pete Carroll said, “We have a starter, but [Kaepernick]’s a starter in this league and I can’t imagine that somebody won’t give him a chance to play.”

I think the question anyone should be seeking an answer to is can he play? if that answer is yes, then deal with the protest angle as part of his contract negotiation ... to do it the way Seattle did strikes me more as an attention getting ploy than any actual effort to sign him, and that just seems strange to me
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Eric Reid keeps getting similarly dicked around by the Bengals.

Also if this thread becomes a Trump/MAGA/Cuck/Snowflake thing I will shut it down without hesitation.
Adipost
MVP

Mike Rosenberg
Mike Rosenberg
@ByRosenberg
Just to recap today's NFL news
*Colin Kaepernick won't say if he'll kneel next season, so Seahawaks cancel his tryout
*Linebacker Reuben Foster charged with 3 felonies for allegedly punching his girlfriend in the head 8-10 times, and 49ers keep him on the team
1:03 PM · Apr 12, 2018
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I really don’t have any sympathy for them. When you become trouble in your employers pocketbook you typically get fired.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:Mike Rosenberg
Mike Rosenberg
@ByRosenberg
Just to recap today's NFL news
*Colin Kaepernick won't say if he'll kneel next season, so Seahawaks cancel his tryout
*Linebacker Reuben Foster charged with 3 felonies for allegedly punching his girlfriend in the head 8-10 times, and 49ers keep him on the team
1:03 PM · Apr 12, 2018
I would think the reason foster is still on the roster is that contractually speaking until he is convicted or they have enough evidence of his guilt they do not have just cause for termination. Otherwise they more than likely lose the ability to go after his signing bonus if they terminate him prior to conviction.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Off the field players have any and every right to be politically and socially active. On the field, it should be about the game with room for occasional displays of solidarity. Breaking minor uniform codes can eventually get a player to the point where the ref doesn't let him play, after multiple fines. Seattle might not have thought to ask Kap about that point, and it would have been better for them if they addressed it in the initial phone call. But it's still up to teams if they want the headache.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Off the field players have any and every right to be politically and socially active. On the field, it should be about the game with room for occasional displays of solidarity. Breaking minor uniform codes can eventually get a player to the point where the ref doesn't let him play, after multiple fines. Seattle might not have thought to ask Kap about that point, and it would have been better for them if they addressed it in the initial phone call. But it's still up to teams if they want the headache.
True, to a point.

I can guarantee you that in 100% of all workplaces the moment any of your activities, either in that workplace or outside of that workplace, have a negative effect on that business that is the moment the boss has an equal right to fire you.

Everyone has the right of freedom speech, it is not the right of freedom of speech without consequences.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

The owners saw with their bank accounts what happens when players protest. It is the owners right to not hire someone who could potentially stop the money from coming from consumers. Kaepernick made his bed now he needs to lie in it.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Off the field players have any and every right to be politically and socially active. On the field, it should be about the game with room for occasional displays of solidarity. Breaking minor uniform codes can eventually get a player to the point where the ref doesn't let him play, after multiple fines. Seattle might not have thought to ask Kap about that point, and it would have been better for them if they addressed it in the initial phone call. But it's still up to teams if they want the headache.
True, to a point.

I can guarantee you that in 100% of all workplaces the moment any of your activities, either in that workplace or outside of that workplace, have a negative effect on that business that is the moment the boss has an equal right to fire you.

Everyone has the right of freedom speech, it is not the right of freedom of speech without consequences.
The player made a good point that they are asked to be ambassadors to the community. So I don't mind them being socially active...but you are right there are limits on and off the field that the NFL should have the balls to clearly define and enforce.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Maybe I’m naive but could it just be that he’s simply a statistically average 30yr old QB that people don’t want to bother with at this point?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Maybe I’m naive but could it just be that he’s simply a statistically average 30yr old QB that people don’t want to bother with at this point?
Generally accurate, but Glennon is Getting paid and Kaep is better a better player.

Look I can't say a lot of things in public without getting fired or disciplined at work.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:Maybe I’m naive but could it just be that he’s simply a statistically average 30yr old QB that people don’t want to bother with at this point?
Generally accurate, but Glennon is Getting paid and Kaep is better a better player.

Look I can't say a lot of things in public without getting fired or disciplined at work.
Well I mean that people doing the hiring don't want to take on a statistically average 30yr old QB in conjunction with whatever perceived headache he may be.

Look, the NFL finds places for guys who are really good at football but are a pain in the ass. Again, maybe I'm naive but I don't think he's talented enough to get away with being a perceived pain. If that makes sense?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes it does and is probably accurate.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

looks like Kaepernick has a shoe deal waiting to happen ... all he needs now is an NFL team to be interested :

If Colin Kaepernick lands NFL deal, Adidas leader says company would want to sign him
Adidas wants to sign Colin Kaepernick to an endorsement deal but has held off because the former 49ers quarterback isn’t on an NFL roster.

Mark King, president of the athletic apparel and shoe company’s North America division, said Adidas doesn’t want to give the impression that it’s “taking advantage of this noise or interest that he had generated,” King said. “If he signs on a team, we would definitely want to sign him.”

King was referencing Kaepernick’s kneeling protests that rocked the nation last year. The demonstrations, in protest of perceived heavy-handed law enforcement tactics in minority communities that included the deaths of several unarmed black men, spread across the NFL, and drew condemnation from social conservatives and President Donald Trump, who considered them unpatriotic.

“We love athletes that have a platform to make the world a better place,” King said. “If they’re an activist in a way that brings attention to something that moves the world forward, even if there’s controversy at that moment, we’re really interested in those athletes because I think it represents the world today.”
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:I really don’t have any sympathy for them. When you become trouble in your employers pocketbook you typically get fired.
Exactly. How many of us could get away with making any kind of political statement at our place of employment without facing some sort of repercussion?
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton