Eric Reid files collusion grievance against NFL

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Eric Reid files collusion grievance against NFL
The two men who were at the forefront of the anthem protests now each have collusion grievances against the NFL.

Free-agent safety Eric Reid has filed a collusion grievance, seven weeks to the day after becoming a free agent.

Said the NFL Players Association in announcing the grievance: “Our union is aware that Eric Reid and his legal representatives filed a collusion claim, which will be heard through the arbitration process as spelled out in our Collective Bargaining Agreement. Our union supports Eric and we are considering other legal options to pursue.”

The development isn’t a surprise. And Reid’s argument will be similar if not identical to the argument previously made by former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Put simply, they’ll both contend that the NFL’s teams adopted a coordinated approach to the shunning of players who were deemed to be “bad for business” because of their role in the anthem protests.

Some believe it’s perfectly legitimate to reject players who have protested in the past or who may protest in the future. This overlooks the reality that the NFL has given players the right to protest.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

You have a right to protest. The owners have a right not to employ you. Many people think their actions shouldn't affect their employment. Reality is it does all the time. Now he can protest on Sundays in his living room.
wab
Mod

I'm sure the fact that he was perpetually hurt, was moved to SS, and then to OLB as a last ditch effort to salvage anything from him before he was ultimately benched has nothing to do with his unemployment. Oh, and he was soundly outplayed by Ward at FS and Tartt at SS.

Yes, it's clearly because he peacefully protested.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:I'm sure the fact that he was perpetually hurt, was moved to SS, and then to OLB as a last ditch effort to salvage anything from him before he was ultimately benched has nothing to do with his unemployment. Oh, and he was soundly outplayed by Ward at FS and Tartt at SS.

Exactly
G08
Hall of Famer

PFF gave Reid an 81.4 rating last season, qualifies as "above average"

*shrug*

Kaepernick arguably is the face of all this NFL protesting and I'd argue he's a top 32 QB on this planet -- I'll say top 64 QB because that includes every NFL backup -- but can't get a gig to save his life. NFL teams, of course, have every right to not bring him in because of his views/beliefs when protesting and due to the actual protesting as well.

I'm pretty sure if an owner didn't like his afro they could say they don't want his services (tongue firmly placed in cheek, but my point remains that nobody is guaranteed a job). I believe the Seahawks cancelled a try out for him when he said he wouldn't stop kneeling, yet players that are drug abusers, woman-beaters, drunk-driving-killers etc are still employed. It's an odd dynamic to observe from afar. This is where they draw the line?

Curious to see how this unfolds.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

Eric Reid is a good player, he should definitely have a job by now.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:Eric Reid is a good player, he should definitely have a job by now.
He has been a good player, was phased out last year regardless of the metrics, has had injury issues between biceps, knee's and concussions, even made statements about retiring early if he kept getting concussions, then decided to protest.

Is he good enough to start for an NFL team, probably. Is he so good that outweighs his potential headaches for some teams that have seen impacts to expected growth in their bottom lines due to protests, maybe not.

I predict he will find a job, probably a short term prove it deal. I just think he, like a lot of MLB free agents this year have overshot their values and are getting a lesson in what the pro sports environment is becoming with advance metrics and moneyball philosophies.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:I'm sure the fact that he was perpetually hurt, was moved to SS, and then to OLB as a last ditch effort to salvage anything from him before he was ultimately benched has nothing to do with his unemployment. Oh, and he was soundly outplayed by Ward at FS and Tartt at SS.

Combine that with participating in a controversial public protest which affects (even if minutely) profits... yeah it’s probably collusion.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:PFF gave Reid an 81.4 rating last season, qualifies as "above average"

*shrug*

Kaepernick arguably is the face of all this NFL protesting and I'd argue he's a top 32 QB on this planet -- I'll say top 64 QB because that includes every NFL backup -- but can't get a gig to save his life. NFL teams, of course, have every right to not bring him in because of his views/beliefs when protesting and due to the actual protesting as well.

I'm pretty sure if an owner didn't like his afro they could say they don't want his services (tongue firmly placed in cheek, but my point remains that nobody is guaranteed a job). I believe the Seahawks cancelled a try out for him when he said he wouldn't stop kneeling, yet players that are drug abusers, woman-beaters, drunk-driving-killers etc are still employed. It's an odd dynamic to observe from afar. This is where they draw the line?

Curious to see how this unfolds.
I'll break this down in my cynical world view:

Kap's actions (and the whole movement), divided locker rooms for many teams, and pushed people away from the NFL either because they hated the politics of the whole thing, or didn't agree with the movement itself.

The NFL's goal is to make money 1st, put a good product on the field 2nd, and be ambassadors to the local community 3rd.

So the movement directly hampered NFL Goal #1 and #2. Goal #3, depending on who you ask, could go either way, but he did generate discussion...so I'd give Kap a "moral" victory if nothing else.

Bottom line, IMO, Kap's goals are not the NFL's goals and he has no place in the NFL until his goals align with the company. Even people that beat their wives still have the goal of making money.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

^ Money is 110% accurate.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think it's more complicated then "your boss can fire you for doing something that loses money". There's a union involved, the structure of the NFL is weird (32 owners acting in cooperation), and it seems like there might be pressure by some owners on other owners to not-sign these players.
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:I think it's more complicated then "your boss can fire you for doing something that loses money". There's a union involved, the structure of the NFL is weird (32 owners acting in cooperation), and it seems like there might be pressure by some owners on other owners to not-sign these players.
I don't. I think it's a player that was good, has dropped off and had a myriad of injury issues and then on top of it was part of something that cost his ultimate boss money.

Just like Kaepernick, if you watched him the last couple seasons he played and especially in games like in chicago, between the drop off due to injury, his crappy play and the protest why would anyone want him.

They cry wolf, yell collusion, but if you look at how their games deteriorated their last couple seasons and combine it with their other issues it's a no brainer.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

southdakbearfan wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:I think it's more complicated then "your boss can fire you for doing something that loses money". There's a union involved, the structure of the NFL is weird (32 owners acting in cooperation), and it seems like there might be pressure by some owners on other owners to not-sign these players.
I don't. I think it's a player that was good, has dropped off and had a myriad of injury issues and then on top of it was part of something that cost his ultimate boss money.

Just like Kaepernick, if you watched him the last couple seasons he played and especially in games like in chicago, between the drop off due to injury, his crappy play and the protest why would anyone want him.

They cry wolf, yell collusion, but if you look at how their games deteriorated their last couple seasons and combine it with their other issues it's a no brainer.
I call BS on this for Kaepernick. Look at the scrub QB's that got starts last year or jobs and no starts and compare them to Kaepernick. I get some people don't like the protest, but try and say it's all based on the drop off of his play is false.

One article I found comparing Bortles to Kaepernick from last year.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/8/3/ ... ompetition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spoiler Alert: Kaepernick wins the comparison
BR0D1E86
MVP

Rakshir wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

I call BS on this for Kaepernick. Look at the scrub QB's that got starts last year or jobs and no starts and compare them to Kaepernick. I get some people don't like the protest, but try and say it's all based on the drop off of his play is false.

One article I found comparing Bortles to Kaepernick from last year.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/8/3/ ... ompetition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spoiler Alert: Kaepernick wins the comparison
Bortles has since shown a pretty marked improvement.

Anyway, I don’t think anyone thinks it’s completely due to a drop off in play. He’s not good, and I have a hard time believing anyone seriously considers him a starting quarterback, but it also doesn’t indicate collusion. Passing on a backup quarterback who’s going to generate tons of negative attention for your team doesn’t require a think tank.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:

Yeah, I don't either...I also don't believe it has anything to do with firing (was Reid cut or did his contract run out?), as Kap for sure quit on his team and wouldn't take a few of the lesser contracts that were offered to him.

I also don't know which owners have enough influence over the others to force them to keep these guys unsigned, who also wouldn't relish seeing a "problem" on a rival team.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: They cry wolf, yell collusion, but if you look at how their games deteriorated their last couple seasons and combine it with their other issues it's a no brainer.
You don't think Colin Kaepernick is better than, I dunno, 50% of the NFL's backup QBs?

Career 88.9 rated QB, his final league in the season he had a 90.7 rating.

Maybe I feel like stirring the pot a little bit, but I think he'd a be a STUD in our offense.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote: They cry wolf, yell collusion, but if you look at how their games deteriorated their last couple seasons and combine it with their other issues it's a no brainer.
You don't think Colin Kaepernick is better than, I dunno, 50% of the NFL's backup QBs?

Career 88.9 rated QB, his final league in the season he had a 90.7 rating.

Maybe I feel like stirring the pot a little bit, but I think he'd a be a STUD in our offense.
Nope, here is a case where the numbers lie.

Low completion percentage, lots of negative sack plays, quite a few fumbles, did you watch that game in soldier field that season? He was one of the least accurate QB's in the league his last two seasons, actually 35th according to espn. For an offense predicated on accuracy he would be a disaster.

It's both as far as why he is unemployed, he isn't nearly good enough to be as big of pain in the rear as he is.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

The whole ratings thing is bullshit. There are so many reasons that the ratings have gone down and it has nothing to do with dudes exercising their first amendment rights to free speech.

1) People are dumping cable. Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, HBOgo, blah, blah, blah. People are going elsewhere for their entertainment instead of taking out a 2nd mortgage to pay their obscenely high cable bill.

2) Football fans are watching NFL games on their computers, smart phones, etc. I have NFL game pass where I can watch any game any time of the week and THAT is not reflected in the ratings.

3) Shitty teams in big markets. New York has the Jets and Giants - please just give me a fuckin' Ambien. Los Angeles has two teams they don't want. Have you seen the crowds at a Chargers game? Their average attendance this last year had to be around 25 - 30 thousand a game. The Rams won their division and they weren't exactly packing them in. Does anything think that may reflect the teams popularity? Miami, San Francisco, Chicago....Yeah, I went there. These teams suck. They may be good in the future, but not now.

4) Over-proliferation of games - overexposure. Before 1987, there were 3 times to watch games. 1:00, 4:00, and Monday Night. Now we have Sunday at 1:00, 4:00, Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, and Thursday Night football. There is a football fatigue that hits come Sunday because it's not near as special as it once was.

Is Kaep a top 64 QB? Fuck yeah he is and I don't even like him. I'll be honest, I don't know shit about Eric Reid, but if he's 26 and PFF ranked him above average and he isn't employed, then there is something wrong with that picture. Think of all the fuckin' roadkill we picked up in the past that doesn't measure up to Eric Reid. From Iron Head Heyward to Antrel Rolle, we've picked up some dogs that don't measure up to "above average" on the PFF scale.

So you say he has a history of injuries? So did Cam Meredith.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:The whole ratings thing is bullshit. There are so many reasons that the ratings have gone down and it has nothing to do with dudes exercising their first amendment rights to free speech.

1) People are dumping cable. Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, HBOgo, blah, blah, blah. People are going elsewhere for their entertainment instead of taking out a 2nd mortgage to pay their obscenely high cable bill.

2) Football fans are watching NFL games on their computers, smart phones, etc. I have NFL game pass where I can watch any game any time of the week and THAT is not reflected in the ratings.

3) Shitty teams in big markets. New York has the Jets and Giants - please just give me a fuckin' Ambien. Los Angeles has two teams they don't want. Have you seen the crowds at a Chargers game? Their average attendance this last year had to be around 25 - 30 thousand a game. The Rams won their division and they weren't exactly packing them in. Does anything think that may reflect the teams popularity? Miami, San Francisco, Chicago....Yeah, I went there. These teams suck. They may be good in the future, but not now.

4) Over-proliferation of games - overexposure. Before 1987, there were 3 times to watch games. 1:00, 4:00, and Monday Night. Now we have Sunday at 1:00, 4:00, Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, and Thursday Night football. There is a football fatigue that hits come Sunday because it's not near as special as it once was.

Is Kaep a top 64 QB? Fuck yeah he is and I don't even like him. I'll be honest, I don't know shit about Eric Reid, but if he's 26 and PFF ranked him above average and he isn't employed, then there is something wrong with that picture. Think of all the fuckin' roadkill we picked up in the past that doesn't measure up to Eric Reid. From Iron Head Heyward to Antrel Rolle, we've picked up some dogs that don't measure up to "above average" on the PFF scale.

So you say he has a history of injuries? So did Cam Meredith.
yeah, the whole thing about how players like eric reid and kaep are costing the nfl money is so laughable. it's what the nfl wants you to believe, and it says alot about nfl fans that they so easily eat it up.

the nfl prints money.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... fb8078525b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

NFLPA files two claims on behalf of Eric Reid, players' protest rights
The NFL Players Association on Monday filed two claims on behalf of former San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid, a 26-year-old unsigned free agent who believes that teams are refusing to sign him because he has protested during pregame national anthem ceremonies.

The actions taken by the NFL players' union Monday are separate from the collusion grievance Reid and his attorney Mark Geragos filed against the NFL last week.

Monday's filings by the NFLPA included a noninjury grievance specific to Reid's free-agent visits and a more general "system arbitrator case" alleging that any team that asks prospective signees whether they plan to protest during the anthem is engaged in bad-faith negotiation.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin