New 2018 kickoff rules, explained

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No wedge blocks, no running starts, and personnel groupings have been modified.
makaur
Pro Bowler

I wonder if they will ever pussify kickoffs so much that the rule will state that whoever the 11 slowest players on the team are...those are the ones who are on kickoffs (both kick and return). No tackling allowed and the kickoff team has to pull a flag off the waist of the ball carrier for him to be called down.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

makaur wrote:I wonder if they will ever pussify kickoffs so much that the rule will state that whoever the 11 slowest players on the team are...those are the ones who are on kickoffs (both kick and return). No tackling allowed and the kickoff team has to pull a flag off the waist of the ball carrier for him to be called down.
Eventually the most exciting play in the game will be gone completely. The NFL will eventually ruin it's brand. We will be watching Robot wars getting jerked off by by Alexa 7000.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

First move in removing the KO from the game. It will be gone within 5 yrs. Sad thing.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

while I think their idea may have good intentions, I think their actions are just going to mean more delays and stupid penalties on every kickoff as what usually happens with any rules change as the zebras over react in order to show their NFL honchos they are being active

the possible good thing out of this is maybe more returns for TD's? since the kicking team has to start flat footed until the ball is kicked, their is more opportunity for good return men to maybe line things up to have lanes to run free

but then half the TD' will probably be called back because of double team blocks being determined to be an illegal wedge block
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:First move in removing the KO from the game. It will be gone within 5 yrs. Sad thing.
Yep. They identified it as one of the more/most dangerous parts of the game (read: how can we limit concussions) and they are legislating it to become pointless and boring. Eventually fans will want to just do away with it altogether and the NFL will get what they want.

Sad stuff. I'm going to be so fucking depressed when football dies.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

The game will eventually call a spade a spade and start games at the 25 based on who wins the coin toss.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here: the only reason kicks are ever returnable is because teams are betting that their coverage team can stop a guy before the 25 if the kick is high enough etc.

So now everyone will just kick it deep because the coverage team is at a disadvantage? Lots more kneeling? Are there still collisions on the plays where the guy kneels or does everyone figure it out in time?
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

The only reason kickoffs are still a thing is because of onside kicks as a vital strategy to the game of football.

This formation stuff may be the end of it. They're going to make it so dull that the fans will outcry about how pointless it is, they will then cancel kickoffs saying "well the fans didn't want it anymore!" when they obviously orchestrated its demise.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong here: the only reason kicks are ever returnable is because teams are betting that their coverage team can stop a guy before the 25 if the kick is high enough etc.

So now everyone will just kick it deep because the coverage team is at a disadvantage? Lots more kneeling? Are there still collisions on the plays where the guy kneels or does everyone figure it out in time?
Yeah they will still be blocking up until the whistle. The receiving team won't know it's a touchback at first
Z Bear
MVP

How does starting them flatfoot create less impacts? I bet there are more returns now because that creates a big advantage for the return team. Guys on the coverage team are now getting up to full speed a few seconds after the kick instead of simultaneously to it. A few seconds to a guy who runs a 4.5 forty translates to 15-20 yards. Return guys will be way more likely to take one out from deep in the end zone...hell they all sometimes did it in the past, way more likely to do it now. The only guys taking less of an impact is the first line of blockers. Everyone else will still be hitting at full speed and there will be more opportunities to hit.