Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

Interesting.
UOK
Site Admin

This is largely pointless, as the NFLPA will most certainly require this be dismantled during negotiations at the next CBA.
LacertineForest
MVP

IMO, they should have reverted to the pre-2009 policy of just leaving everyone in the locker room for the anthem.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BearButtseks wrote:IMO, they should have reverted to the pre-2009 policy of just leaving everyone in the locker room for the anthem.
:thumbsup:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Total bullshit. The point of the anthem is that people gave up their lives, SO we could kneel during the anthem if we so chose.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Those dang work place rules. NBA makes their players stand and nobody is having a fit about it.
makaur
Pro Bowler

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Total bullshit. The point of the anthem is that people gave up their lives, SO we could kneel during the anthem if we so chose.
This.

The kneeling bothers me but the reason WHY the players kneel bothers me far more.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

this is a mixed bag of items ... don't want to turn this into a political thread in any way

I do understand both sides of this - respect for the anthem, and respect for the freedoms we enjoy (which includes the freedom for peaceful protest)

I don't understand how the NFL can continue to butcher decisions on policies they think are improvements
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: don't want to turn this into a political thread in any way

I'll be watching this thread intently for this very reason.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote:
Boris13c wrote: don't want to turn this into a political thread in any way

I'll be watching this thread intently for this very reason.
This is precisely why I haven't posted about this (stupid) policy.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Part of me is like, ok...this seems like a happy medium. And then part of me is like, well it kind of defeats the point of the peaceful protest...which is to call attention to it.

I don't know. My red-blooded american side often conflicts with the side that has all the common sense.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I don't see how anyone can think this is a good "policy" that will solve anything
xyt in the discord chats
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Whether anyone agreed or disagreed with the kneeling...it was a distraction. NFL is simply limiting the distraction by this policy.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I guess I really don't give a shit. I don't watch the National Anthem prior to games. That is when I am last minute prepping for food and drink. The media made this a big deal, shocker. I think both teams need to stay in the locker rooms like most college teams and high school teams do. No one was pissed at that thru the years. People would get outraged now though.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I personally think less of people who disrespect the anthem, kneel, sit, talk, don't take hats off, etc. However in protest or not it's your porogitove, and my opinions of that person carry no real weight.

I think it's smart of the NFL to do this. They believe it detracted from their buisness. They don't want their product to be used as a platform. Like most jobs, some shit you can't do on the clock.

The only one that actually really irritated me was the Steelers. Not because they stayed in the locker room. Because the team chastised A fellow Soldier and their teammate for peacefully protesting himself, and being present for the anthem.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I don't watch the National Anthem prior to games. That is when I am last minute prepping for food and drink.
pretty much in line with you on that
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Without having given it much thought, the NFL proposal seems like an OK compromise. But since they circumvented the player's union there will be a lawsuit and much yammering about it. It seems like they want the issue to go away. But now, the NFLPA will see to it that the opposite will occur.

I wonder if they're afraid of the player lawsuits and they're changing the rules so they can walk into court and say that Kaepernick now has an out... He can stay in the locker room if he doesn't want to stand for the anthem.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Those of you who think this issue is now "resolved" are crazy. The players will find a different way to protest or they will accept the fines or teams will break from the NFL and the NFLPA will sue because a policy was changed without their consent etc etc etc. This is not resolved. At all.
xyt in the discord chats
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Kneeling has nothing to do with the sport which is the reason why I watch the game. I don't care about their politics.

They have social media and the internet to express their views. The NFL never should've allowed the kneeling in the first place because its political.
UOK
Site Admin

Don't like where this is going.