Julian Edelman appealing ban for violating PED policy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Patriots' Julian Edelman appealing ban for violating PED policy
New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman is facing a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances, league sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The suspension is currently under appeal as Edelman has taken "hundreds of tests" and has not tested positive before, a source told ESPN.

If he were suspended for four games, Edelman would forfeit $470,588.20 in base salary. The Patriots' first four games are against Houston, at Jacksonville, at Detroit and home against Miami.

Edelman, who has been a regular participant in the team's offseason program, organized team activities and minicamp, is returning from an ACL tear during the 2017 preseason that forced him to miss the entire season. He turned 32 years old last month and is entering his 10th season in the NFL.

Patriots' Julian Edelman apologizes for suspension: 'I am very sorry — I don't know what happened'
Julian Edelman is facing the music after an ESPN report Thursday claimed the New England Patriots receiver is facing a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Edelman wrote in a post from his Instagram account: "I am very sorry — I don't know what happened. I've taken many, many tests obviously over the course of my career, and nothing like this has ever happened."

Edelman, who missed the entire 2017 season after tearing a knee ligament in the preseason, apologized to owner Robert Kraft and his teammates before adding: "I will be ready to play and pursue another championship with our team and for Patriots fans around the world."

The suspension, currently under appeal, would force Edelman to miss September games against the Texans, Jaguars, Lions and Dolphins.

One of Tom Brady's closer friends and favorite receivers, Edelman posted a career-best 1,106 receiving yards in 2016, which ended with a Super Bowl victory. His absence presents an additional challenge to a passing game that already lost wideouts Danny Amendola and Brandin Cooks this offseason.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
skamanfrank
Journeyman

I always find PED violations fascinating!

My first thought is always.... surely these guys KNOW they're going to get caught if they try anything?
...which makes sense why a majority of them deny it and cite "tainted supplements"
...but then surely they can work out which supplements it was and name and shame them... or even take them to court?! Surely that's the only way to prove innocence?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

NFL has a pretty cut and dried policy. Supplements can be changed by manufacturers with no warning, something on the approved list might add something and bang, a guy pops hot.

Could be that, could be a guy taking something special to get back from injury.

99.9% chance the suspension stands.