EDGE Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I believe our #1 need is an impact EDGE rusher to support our developing front 7. Looking at the draft class, however, I don't see many great prospects. I suspect there will be juniors that declare and add numbers to the top 10, but for now I see only one name on big boards that fit the 3-4 OLB spot:

Leonard Floyd LB Georgia
6-3 231
Currently playing ILB in Georgia's 3-4, and moved to ROLB on obvious passing downs

- Runs very well with deceptive "glider" speed
- Surprisingly effective in pass coverage
- Gets swallowed up on running plays and relies on his speed to chase
- Great hands and ability to flatten around the edge
- Breaks out the bull rush and spin moves to surprise defenders and very effective here keeping their hands off his chest

Who do you guys like out there? I'd love to hear some names to research
xyt in the discord chats
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm pulling this stuff off of Walter football. Admittedly haven't seen much of these guys play.
image: http://walterfootball.com/college/OhioState_logo.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joey Bosa, 3-4OLB, Ohio State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 275.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2016): Top-10 Pick.
9/28/15: Bosa recorded six tackles and .5 sacks against Northern Illinois. He was suspended for the season opener against Virginia Tech for either an academic violation or testing positive for marijuana use. Bosa was quiet against Hawaii for his first contest of the season.

8/22/15: Bosa will miss the first game of 2015 over a suspension for violating team rules. It will be interesting to see if this comes back to hurt him in the future. In 2014, Bosa recorded 55 tackles with 13.5 sacks, 21 tackles for a loss, four forced fumbles and pass defended. He simply lived in opponents' backfields. The 6-foot-5, 285-pounder has quickness to go with natural strength. He has a serious burst off the snap with the speed to turn the corner. The sophomore also displayed good hands to shed blocks while working upfield. Many have compared Bosa to J.J. Watt, but that isn't fair to Bosa as Watt has rewritten NFL record books and is the best player in the NFL. That being said, Bosa is a great prospect who looks like he has the talent to be perennial Pro Bowler and double-digit sacker.

Bosa was one of the best freshmen in 2013 and clearly is full of talent. He racked up 44 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss, 7.5 sacks and one forced fumble that season.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016OLB3 ... h9ORBY5.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Michi ... e_logo.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shilique Calhoun, 3-4OLB, Michigan State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2016): 1.
9/28/15: Calhoun notched four tackles against Air Force. A week earlier, he had a solid performance against Oregon with three tackles and a coverage sack. Calhoun has shown an improved set of pass-rushing moves this season, including a spin move and a rip move. In 2015, he has eight tackles, two for a loss, and two sacks.

8/22/15: Calhoun needs to add some weight for the NFL if he's going to remain a defensive end. It would help if Calhoun added some functional strength as well. He also needs to add to his repertoire of pass-rushing moves. After a slow start to 2014, Calhoun played better in the second half of the year. The junior speed rusher recorded 39 tackles with 12.5 tackles for a loss, eight sacks and a forced fumble for the season.

Calhoun was one of the top players on Michigan State's superb defense in 2013. For the year, he recorded 37 tackles with 14 tackles for a loss, 7.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016OLB3 ... h9ORBY5.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Arizona_logo.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scooby Wright III*, 3-4OLB, Arizona
Height: 6-1. Weight: 246.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
Projected Round (2016): 1-2.
9/28/15: Wright had one tackle in the season opener before suffering a knee injury. He underwent surgery for a lateral meniscus tear and is expected to miss some 3-4 weeks, but should return this season.

8/24/15: Wright took college football by storm in 2014. He was a pass-rushing force for the Wildcats and one of the top defenders in the Pac-12. Wright notched 14 sacks with 163 tackles, 29 tackles for a loss and six forced fumbles for the year. He had a huge game against Oregon to help lead the Wildcats to a regular-season upset of the Ducks. Wright is an instinctive linebacker and was all over the field for Arizona. He played a huge part in the Wildcats reaching the Pac-12 Championship. In 2013, Wright had 83 tackles with 9.5 for a loss and an interception.

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

So until all the juniors declare these three are top three right now. Guy from Arizona is intriguing so depending how he recovers he'll go up or down.
wab
Mod

I'm not gonna lie. It's a shit year for rush backers. Boss is more JJ Watt than OLB. Leonard Floyd and Jaylon Smith are the best pure rushers in the draft but they play most downs at ILB.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So far it's not a pretty class. Calhoun looks the part but u have not seen him bend the edge or really dominate like his body looks it should.

Wright is good but medical will be scrutinized.

Boss as Wab stated is great with his hand in the dirt.

Plan on watching the Georgia game this weekend to watch Floyd.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Good note though a lot of guys who can play on the DL in this scheme.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Grab Bosa in 1st then Wright in 2nd I'd be ok with that. Take care of 2 needs and hopefully get 2 impact type players and starters. Why have 1 threat when can hopefully have 2. Fangio would love designing blitz packages for that scenario I could imagine.
Get our QB to groom in 3rd and it looks like a good draft IMO.
wab
Mod

I don't know that I would classify Wright as a 3-4 OLB. Maybe weak inside 3-4 LB.
IE
Hall of Famer

I know this is a top need, but do we think the Bears might just acknowledge the lack of what they want, and just pursue that talent through FA? There are several other big needs that could be addressed in the draft, and it seems to me that an edge guy might be the position where you'd want to buy more of a sure thing.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote:I know this is a top need, but do we think the Bears might just acknowledge the lack of what they want, and just pursue that talent through FA? There are several other big needs that could be addressed in the draft, and it seems to me that an edge guy might be the position where you'd want to buy more of a sure thing.
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a FA. After the Ray McDonald incident, I don't think the Bears touch Aldon Smith with a 10 foot pole. Von Miller will be the prize of FA, but it's doubtful that he gets out of Denver. Courtney Upshaw (Baltimore), Nick Perry (Green Bay), and Andre Branch (Jacksonville) are all young talented guys that really haven't done a lot with their current teams, but might be worth a look. McPhee would know the most about Upshaw's potential. Maybe you hope a veteran like Vinny Curry or Larry English finds a boost...but are they really better than Acho or Houston? Probably not.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
IE wrote:I know this is a top need, but do we think the Bears might just acknowledge the lack of what they want, and just pursue that talent through FA? There are several other big needs that could be addressed in the draft, and it seems to me that an edge guy might be the position where you'd want to buy more of a sure thing.
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a FA. After the Ray McDonald incident, I don't think the Bears touch Aldon Smith with a 10 foot pole. Von Miller will be the prize of FA, but it's doubtful that he gets out of Denver. Courtney Upshaw (Baltimore), Nick Perry (Green Bay), and Andre Branch (Jacksonville) are all young talented guys that really haven't done a lot with their current teams, but might be worth a look. McPhee would know the most about Upshaw's potential. Maybe you hope a veteran like Vinny Curry or Larry English finds a boost...but are they really better than Acho or Houston? Probably not.
You're probably right - hopefully a solid year under his belt Fangio's word on Smith would be enough to take another risk on him (and Smith will stay straight). And then Von Miller... is he a RFA? Dang if he is.

I guess what I'm thinking is if Fangio can do some good work with other guys this year who we wouldn't have considered top FAs (McPhee, Jenkins, Acho), maybe they'd have similar confidence and success with lower-tier FAs next year as well.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

Edge rushers can be pricey if they've produced in the league... if we can land one in the draft and get production for less cost, I'd be all for it.

Maybe spend some $$$ on a premier corner/safety.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

With so much money tied up in Houston and McPhee I can't see spending more on that position. If none of these guys turn out to be 1st round talent, I would double-down in the mid rounds and hopefully we land a situational guy at least. Then we spend money on DBs as G08 mentioned. I would personally favor replacing Rolle.

Curious to see what mmc_35 thought about Floyd (or if anyone else watched the Georgia game..) The cutups show him out in coverage (!) alot. He's... ok out there. Looks blockable when he does get a chance to rush the passer. He's just not very physical.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/leonard ... bama-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xyt in the discord chats
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Curious to see what mmc_35 thought about Floyd (or if anyone else watched the Georgia game..) The cutups show him out in coverage (!) alot. He's... ok out there. Looks blockable when he does get a chance to rush the passer. He's just not very physical.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/leonard ... bama-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I really wanted to watch this game live. It was my first day off switching from my third shift work schedule to a regular person schedule I fell a sleep. Glad the breakdown put this up quickly.

Clearly he needs to add lower body strength and weight overall. Numerous times he beat his guy up field with athletic ability to only lose the physical battle in the end. He was on the ground at least three times due to leg strength. I was surprised how many times Georgia put him out in coverage. I know he is built like a big strong safety but was also the best motor guy getting after the passer. You would think they would have lined him up more on the line not in the bunch set away from the QB. You got to like the kids hips he is able to switch them on a dime. That's a skill that with strength and weight will allow him to bend the edge. He was a step show off the snap on about 50% off the snaps. His arms are amazingly long. Needs to use his super long and to keep blockers off off him.

The unteachable traits are there. Length athleticism motor. I have read about his great first step but don't think it showed this game. Essentially he needs to get bigger and stronger with emphasis on hand usage and he could be really good. Bet he blows up the combine like Beasley. But Beasley was stronger (though also on the ground more then you would like) and had way better hand usage.

Solid pick based off potential. Kid is way more skilled then Gregory whom had a similar body type.

Scattered opinions of a half drunk draft geek based on one game. Take it for what it's worth.
wab
Mod

My problem with Floyd is that he's so tall and lean. Not like Beasley, who had the frame to put on weight. I don't know how much weight Floyd's body can hold. He's maybe 230.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Funny we talked about Floyd quite a while ago and here we are back to the same conversation.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

No. This old conversation includes people watching Floyd playing football and forming an opinion.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

At least I'm consistent :)
Pagan
MVP

I'm going to look through all the tape I can find in him. Sounds like he was played at multiple positions & played coverage quite a bit, which explains his low sack #'s.

I'm interested to see what jumps out.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes. They moved him around a ton. Lining a rush backer to the wide side trips cluster? That's not normal.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:Yes. They moved him around a ton. Lining a rush backer to the wide side trips cluster? That's not normal.
There's two schools of thought with stuff like this.

1 - he's the team's best player and they are using him to cover up deficiencies elsewhere.
2 - he's an athlete and they can't figure out what the hell to do with him.
G08
Hall of Famer

Some scouts have bashed on Georgia for not just sending him off the edge every snap -- I'm inclined to agree.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Yes. They moved him around a ton. Lining a rush backer to the wide side trips cluster? That's not normal.
There's two schools of thought with stuff like this.

1 - he's the team's best player and they are using him to cover up deficiencies elsewhere.
2 - he's an athlete and they can't figure out what the hell to do with him.
And ultimately, that's why I've decided to be cool with the pick. Fangio and Fox will DEFINITELY know what to do with him. I read a quote from Fox somewhere today that said in effect, "We can make him bigger and we can make him stronger but we can't make him faster and we can't make him more athletic."
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
wab
Mod

And I think they gave up one project in McClellin for a flashier one in Floyd. Floyd has a much much higher ceiling than Shea though.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:And I think they gave up one project in McClellin for a flashier one in Floyd. Floyd has a much much higher ceiling than Shea though.
That's the part that irks me. Same fucking numbers except for vertical & broad jump (explosion).
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:And I think they gave up one project in McClellin for a flashier one in Floyd. Floyd has a much much higher ceiling than Shea though.
That's the part that irks me. Same fucking numbers except for vertical & broad jump (explosion).
I'd argue that Floyd has much better instincts. But still he's a project.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:

But that explosion is kind of important when you're talking about pass-rushers.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IotaNet
MVP

Yes, but remember: When we drafted McClellin, we were running a 4-3 and Mel Tucker ( :sick: ) was our DC. By the time, Fangio got to Shea, he had been moved around, position changed, and basically mind-effed into submission. (And IIRC, Fangio never liked McClellin on the edge anyway.) And, oh, by the way, Shea did NOT play in the SEC.

This would appear to be a totally different scenario.
Last edited by IotaNet on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell