QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Adi with little watching and hell even searching its easy to list his flaws that need fixing. Some are fixable, others can be learned. Of those some might not be. To not list them or others seems like a copout.

Simple example.

He doesn't keep weight on his plant foot. Leaving him to throw off his. This causes accuracy issues. Its been shown not to always get better see Cutler.
Im not referring to his mechanical issues. I'm talking about his play style.
But what about his play style? Because it seems you just can't get passed the fact he played in an air raid system but if you ACTUALLY took the time to watch him play rather than just parrot off that air raid QBs have all failed (again, please show me on your list of air raid QBs that ever got the draft buzz Mahomes is getting). Yes, no air raid QB before Mahomes has succeeded but he is not them.

So again, give an example of what about his play style that needs to be changed before YOU feel he could be a successful QB. These two guys can give you a full breakdown on the little things Mahomes does as a QB that will help him translate as a QB on the next level.

[video][/video]
wab
Mod

It's glaringly apparent you have no idea what in the hell you are talking about.
Adipost
MVP

"Mahomes is a weird eval as he is the most exciting quarterback to watch in the draft class, as he makes some head scratching plays, throwing the ball from angles you’d never thought would be a completion, and plays the quarterback position in an exciting and fun way to watch. Unfortunately it doesn’t translate well, and Mahomes II lacks mechanical and mental aspects of his game to be an early impact in the pros, and will likely never be a franchise quarterback. Has a chance to become a spot starter á la Case Keenum down the line, but he will need to learn how to operate inside the pocket, because if not teams will just drop 8 in coverage and contain the pocket making it easy to bring him down, which he struggled with in the pros. I like him as a developmental prospect, but there are too many flaws in his games and unhabits which makes it very unrealistic that he amounts to much outside of a possible spot starter and backup. I don't think it's realistic to think that he'll completely change his playing style as I don't see his playing style translatable to the pros."
wab
Mod

And what is the source of that scouting report?
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

From walterfootball.com's latest mock draft

"The more I hear and read, the more I'm convinced that Mahomes will be chosen a lot earlier than expected. We've spoken to team sources who have likened him to Derek Carr, and others have made the same comparison. Mahomes is also off the charts character-wise, and he may have that "it" factor that quarterbacks need, and several recent busts (Jared Goff, Blake Bortles) don't have."
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

PFF moved him into the first round today:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mo ... mpaign=nfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

25. Houston Texans

Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

The more our analysts watch Mahomes, the more they like what the Texas Tech product may be able to do at the next level. So much of his game is off-the-cuff, but it’s that feel for the passing game and finding open receivers that makes Mahomes intriguing for the next level. He has a strong arm capable of driving the ball down the field or making throws on the run, though he certainly has to do a better job of taking care of the football. Mahomes ranked second in the nation in both big-time throws and turnover-worthy throws, highlighting that boom-or-bust potential, but with so many questions about the future of the quarterback position in Houston, he’s worth the risk at the back end of the first round.

bear's took the first qb (trubisky). Second qb was watson to the jets at 6. mahomes third.
i kind of refuse to believe though that kyle shanahan decides to take a ILB with his first draft pick.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:PFF moved him into the first round today:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mo ... mpaign=nfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

25. Houston Texans

The more our analysts watch Mahomes, the more they like what the Texas Tech product may be able to do at the next level. So much of his game is off-the-cuff, but it’s that feel for the passing game and finding open receivers that makes Mahomes intriguing for the next level. He has a strong arm capable of driving the ball down the field or making throws on the run, though he certainly has to do a better job of taking care of the football. Mahomes ranked second in the nation in both big-time throws and turnover-worthy throws, highlighting that boom-or-bust potential, but with so many questions about the future of the quarterback position in Houston, he’s worth the risk at the back end of the first round.

bear's took the first qb (trubisky). i kind of refuse to believe though that kyle shanahan decides to take a ILB with his first draft pick.
As much as I love Foster, I don't know if I love him enough to use the #2 pick on him. I wonder if this mock is assuming that the 49ers have handled the QB position via trade of FA... New HC, vet QB is opting out of contract and the FA market is thin in terms of starting QBs... if they don't trade for JG or McCarron, I just don't see how they don't go QB right there, unless they just absolutely hate all the QBs coming out.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:PFF moved him into the first round today:

25. Houston Texans

bear's took the first qb (trubisky). i kind of refuse to believe though that kyle shanahan decides to take a ILB with his first draft pick.
As much as I love Foster, I don't know if I love him enough to use the #2 pick on him. I wonder if this mock is assuming that the 49ers have handled the QB position via trade of FA... New HC, vet QB is opting out of contract and the FA market is thin in terms of starting QBs... if they don't trade for JG or McCarron, I just don't see how they don't go QB right there, unless they just absolutely hate all the QBs coming out.
Cutler? Would be interesting to trade Cutler to SF to swap spots with them...heck, offer the same deal to Cleveland and see if we can't get Garrett. We'd have to mortgage a bit to get back into the 1st to grab a QB, but that isn't the worst situation ever
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, i guess i realize that until the FA QB market shakes out none of the qb hungry teams' individual decisions should be looked at too closely.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

butttt, mahomes is definitely this season's carson wentz right? another month and we'll be terrified that he wont make it to #3. :D
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:butttt, mahomes is definitely this season's carson wentz right? another month and we'll be terrified that he wont make it to #3. :D
I really would not be surprised after the combine and pro days to see him rocket up boards. Once coaches get him to a white board and realize how high his football IQ is for a kid who has only been playing football for 5 years. He's pretty much a savant and you just can't teach this...

[video][/video]
malk
Head Coach

We're not getting Mahomes, it'd make me too happy.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:butttt, mahomes is definitely this season's carson wentz right? another month and we'll be terrified that he wont make it to #3. :D
As I previously noted, Daniel Jeremiah had Carson Wentz going top 5 since January of last year.
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:From walterfootball.com's latest mock draft

"The more I hear and read, the more I'm convinced that Mahomes will be chosen a lot earlier than expected. We've spoken to team sources who have likened him to Derek Carr, and others have made the same comparison. Mahomes is also off the charts character-wise, and he may have that "it" factor that quarterbacks need, and several recent busts (Jared Goff, Blake Bortles) don't have."
That "it factor!!! Thanks for the laugh.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
As I previously noted, Daniel Jeremiah had Carson Wentz going top 5 since January of last year.

one guy!
if you're positing that the majority opinion in the months leading up to the draft wasnt "wentz played against shit competition at NDSU and people need to temper their expectations" you're rewriting history.

the consensus came around slowly.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:From walterfootball.com's latest mock draft

That "it factor!!! Thanks for the laugh.
Take it up with the writers at walterfootball.com, it was copied directly from their site... you know what the kicker is, both mocks have Mahomes going before Kizer, I'm sure that will take your laughter up another notch... and still no reference for the scouting report you posted earlier...
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:

one guy!
if you're positing that the majority opinion in the months leading up to the draft wasnt "wentz played against shit competition at NDSU and people need to temper their expectations" you're rewriting history.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2016/2/3/10905068/todd-mcshay-2016-mock-draft-2-0-cowboys-grab-a-quarterback-carson-wentz
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:

one guy!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2016/2/3/10905068/todd-mcshay-2016-mock-draft-2-0-cowboys-grab-a-quarterback-carson-wentz
hey, that cowboys article links to a todd mcshay mock (in february) that says he's coming around on wentz kid from his previous mock (before february)! kind of like how people now, in february, are comin round to this majomes kid.

sounds like you and me agree 100% good to hear!
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:

one guy!

hey, that cowboys article links to a todd mcshay mock (in february) that says he's coming around on wentz kid from his previous mock (before february)! kind of like how people now, in february, are comin round to this majomes kid.

Pat Mahomes - QB - Red Raiders
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline is "concerned" about Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes' "downfield accuracy as well as the fact that the Texas Tech offense does not translate well to the next level."
"I’m mixed on Patrick Mahomes," Pauline wrote. "I understand why people are intrigued by the Texas Tech signal caller; he’s tough as nails, plays the position with vision as well as awareness and is not afraid to challenge defenses vertically. ... Like the other top quarterbacks in this draft, the potential is there for Mahomes but there’s also a large degree of downside and risk." Mahomes is the most divisive of the top-five quarterback prospects in this class. Analysts and NFL teams both disagree about whether his skills neatly translate to the next level. Heck, the Rotoworld NFL Draft team does not agree about Mahomes' NFL value.The
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yup, give em time and they'll all fall in line once they realize that he's going to get drafted in the first.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:

one guy!

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline is "concerned" about Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes' "downfield accuracy as well as the fact that the Texas Tech offense does not translate well to the next level."
"I’m mixed on Patrick Mahomes," Pauline wrote. "I understand why people are intrigued by the Texas Tech signal caller; he’s tough as nails, plays the position with vision as well as awareness and is not afraid to challenge defenses vertically. ... Like the other top quarterbacks in this draft, the potential is there for Mahomes but there’s also a large degree of downside and risk." Mahomes is the most divisive of the top-five quarterback prospects in this class. Analysts and NFL teams both disagree about whether his skills neatly translate to the next level. Heck, the Rotoworld NFL Draft team does not agree about Mahomes' NFL value.The
You think that is devaluing him? Because he doesn't neatly translate, they're saying that because he's different. Seems you just blew past this part

plays the position with vision as well as awareness

Remember your big concern about his field vision... also the guy you are quoting here has Kaaya as a 4th round pick... but I guess he's wrong when he disagrees with your opinion. Again, still no person referenced for your other scouting report.

And all you are showing with this scouting report is that the guy is getting different reviews from different people, not exactly understanding how you feel that is negative or even backs up your claim that

Mahomes is an Air Raid QB, Air Raid QBs have failed, therefore Mahomes will fail

bs reasoning. You still haven't brought a legitimate reason for why you think he will fail other than he was an air raid QB and he doesn't fit in the perfect mold of an NFL QB... wait, I forgot you claimed he couldn't see the field well until no one agreed with you and then you just fell back on "his play style".
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:

one guy!

You think that is devaluing him? Because he doesn't neatly translate, they're saying that because he's different. Seems you just blew past this part

Remember your big concern about his field vision... also the guy you are quoting here has Kaaya as a 4th round pick... but I guess he's wrong when he disagrees with your opinion. Again, still no person referenced for your other scouting report.

And all you are showing with this scouting report is that the guy is getting different reviews from different people, not exactly understanding how you feel that is negative or even backs up your claim that

Mahomes is an Air Raid QB, Air Raid QBs have failed, therefore Mahomes will fail

bs reasoning. You still haven't brought a legitimate reason for why you think he will fail other than he was an air raid QB and he doesn't fit in the perfect mold of an NFL QB... wait, I forgot you claimed he couldn't see the field well until no one agreed with you and then you just fell back on "his play style".
Your right, im sure this guy has no idea what he's talking about. I don't care what he said, i was just highlighting that my concern for his play style is not only mine with the bolded sentence.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:

one guy!

Your right, im sure this guy has no idea what he's talking about. I don't care what he said, i was just highlighting that my concern for his play style is not only mine with the bolded sentence.
Lol that doesn't back up what you're saying. You flat out said he's an air raid QB and that's why he will fail, even with evidence on tape that he is not just an air raid QB and then all you can come back with are a scouting report for which you have no name attached and a snippet of some other evaluator who slightly agrees with one part of your assessment but blows your old assessment out of the water... I'm pretty much done responding to anything else you have to say in this thread, your opinion on talent has been completely voided in my eyes.
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:

Lol that doesn't back up what you're saying. You flat out said he's an air raid QB and that's why he will fail, even with evidence on tape that he is not just an air raid QB and then all you can come back with are a scouting report for which you have no name attached and a snippet of some other evaluator who slightly agrees with one part of your assessment but blows your old assessment out of the water... I'm pretty much done responding to anything else you have to say in this thread, your opinion on talent has been completely voided in my eyes.
My talent evaluation is sound. In the long run, you may be proven right, and I may be proven wrong. But I highly doubt it. And what concrete facts do you have to completely void my evaluation at this point in time?
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:

My talent evaluation is sound. In the long run, you may be proven right, and I may be proven wrong. But I highly doubt it. And what concrete facts do you have to completely void my evaluation at this point in time?
The fact that you were pretty much begging people to agree with your incorrect assessment of his field vision, and when no one agreed with that assessment you jumped over to the vague "play style" argument. Then there is your inane reasoning about Kizer's shortcomings and decision making as a plot by Brian Kelly to destroy him. Not to mention you scoffing at the mere idea that someone could prefer Cook over Fournette.

I'm pretty sure no one here actually thinks your posts hold much value in terms of assessing talent.
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

The fact that you were pretty much begging people to agree with your incorrect assessment of his field vision, and when no one agreed with that assessment you jumped over to the vague "play style" argument. Then there is your inane reasoning about Kizer's shortcomings and decision making as a plot by Brian Kelly to destroy him. Not to mention you scoffing at the mere idea that someone could prefer Cook over Fournette.

I'm pretty sure no one here actually thinks your posts hold much value in terms of assessing talent.
I stand by everything I've said about Mahomes. Just trying to inform you before you get too attached.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Aren't second generation namesake supposed to be "Jr." not "II"? Don't roman numerals come in at 3rd generation? I don't know why that bothers me...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:

I stand by everything I've said about Mahomes. Just trying to inform you before you get too attached.
Meh, again, your opinion on anyone really doesn't carry much, so, guess we're done here.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

alexwilkins wrote:Aren't second generation namesake supposed to be "Jr." not "II"? Don't roman numerals come in at 3rd generation? I don't know why that bothers me...
Traditionally II's were named after their fathers, juniors were named after their uncles. I only know that because I looked it up after watching an old episode of James Bond Jr and was curious why he was James Bond's nephew.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:Aren't second generation namesake supposed to be "Jr." not "II"? Don't roman numerals come in at 3rd generation? I don't know why that bothers me...
Traditionally II's were named after their fathers, juniors were named after their uncles. I only know that because I looked it up after watching an old episode of James Bond Jr and was curious why he was James Bond's nephew.
i would give you a point for this if we still had points.