QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I've said this before...but if the kid puts in the work, he has another month to make his drop backs look better and clean up his delivery a little. I think he has the best arm, if not he's close enough to say he does. I bet he's going to turn some of the draftnits heads at the combine. I'm not saying that I expect him to rise like Wentz did last year, but he has the potential and ability to do so.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Adipost
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:I've said this before...but if the kid puts in the work, he has another month to make his drop backs look better and clean up his delivery a little. I think he has the best arm, if not he's close enough to say he does. I bet he's going to turn some of the draftnits heads at the combine. I'm not saying that I expect him to rise like Wentz did last year, but he has the potential and ability to do so.
So are all the other QB prospects just sitting around the house and eating nachos?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The only reason he isn't thought of as the #1 is mechanics. They are horrid. In those videos not under pressure they are better, but still a work in progress.

So what is fixable and what's not seems to be the theme of this QB class. Mechanics can be fixable, but it takes tons of perfect practice. Still under pressure and exhaustion people revert back to their natural state.

Then comes the offensive philosophy issues this entire class has. Again teachable but it becomes more of a projection.

I really like Mahomes. Projecting his career path is challenging.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:The only reason he isn't thought of as the #1 is mechanics. They are horrid. In those videos not under pressure they are better, but still a work in progress.

So what is fixable and what's not seems to be the theme of this QB class. Mechanics can be fixable, but it takes tons of perfect practice. Still under pressure and exhaustion people revert back to their natural state.

Then comes the offensive philosophy issues this entire class has. Again teachable but it becomes more of a projection.

I really like Mahomes. Projecting his career path is challenging.
What I like the most about Mahomes is even with poor mechanics and footwork, he is pretty accurate. So that leads to the question of if he will be super accurate when his footwork is cleaned up or will it actually break what makes him so accurate. Look at it like this, Bubba Watson does so many things wrong when he swings a golf club, but it is how he learned and it works for him... I mean he does have a green jacket... but that doesn't stop swing coaches from grimacing any time they hear him give advice on golf swings....
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

True. Chuck Liddell style of striking is not coachable and theoretically wrong, yet made him great. That and he had an amazing chin to work with.
Adipost
MVP

Mahomes could turn into a great QB with a great coaching staff. That sure as hell isnt the Bears.
Funkster
MVP

Most likely Mahomes has played football all his life. He's had access to trainers, coaches and special position coaches. Do you think a month is really going to "change" his mechanics? You could see a tweak here or there for the underwear Olympic but as soon as the helmet and pads go on, those tweaks will go out the window. This kid can really spin the ball has good size and wants to throw from the pocket first and foremost but also has the ablitly to use his legs.

It's very surprising in his 2 years as the starter, with his sloppy lazy mechanics, he only threw 25 interceptions(41 TD's) in 1,164 attempts. Not to mention his 741 rushing yards and 22 rushing TD's. This kid once accounted for 819 yards in a single game. I'm definitely going to pay more attention to Mr. Patrick Mahomes II.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:Most likely Mahomes has played football all his life. He's had access to trainers, coaches and special position coaches. Do you think a month is really going to "change" his mechanics? You could see a tweak here or there for the underwear Olympic but as soon as the helmet and pads go on, those tweaks will go out the window. This kid can really spin the ball has good size and wants to throw from the pocket first and foremost but also has the ablitly to use his legs.

It's very surprising in his 2 years as the starter, with his sloppy lazy mechanics, he only threw 25 interceptions(41 TD's) in 1,164 attempts. Not to mention his 741 rushing yards and 22 rushing TD's. This kid once accounted for 819 yards in a single game. I'm definitely going to pay more attention to Mr. Patrick Mahomes II.
He hasn't played football all his life.

Try Googling him, kid has an interesting story.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

He started playing football in 7th grade. Regardless, the point I'm making is he's had access to improve his mechanics for YEARS, a month isn't going to change much.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:He started playing football in 7th grade. Regardless, the point I'm making is he's had access to improve his mechanics for YEARS, a month isn't going to change much.
Mahomes attended Whitehouse High School where he played both sports but didn't start at quarterback for Whitehouse until midway through his junior season.

There's clips of him on twitter throwing the ball, dropping back from center. Looks good.

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:He started playing football in 7th grade. Regardless, the point I'm making is he's had access to improve his mechanics for YEARS, a month isn't going to change much.
Mahomes attended Whitehouse High School where he played both sports but didn't start at quarterback for Whitehouse until midway through his junior season.

There's clips of him on twitter throwing the ball, dropping back from center. Looks good.
Not starting until junior year is pretty typical for a 4A-5A athlete. Doesn't mean he wasn't playing and surely doesn't mean he wasn't working on his skill. I've know coaches that play the quarters game and will split players between jv/varsity just because of player seniority.

Can you share the clip of him under center?
G08
Hall of Famer

It's on the twitters, I'll take a looksie in a bit

G08
Hall of Famer

Appearing as a guest on the Setting the Edge podcast this week, Rapoport stated that Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes might not make it to Round 2. He added that some NFL scouts see Mahomes as the top quarterback in this class. Mahomes has tremendous arm strength and athleticism, but he has to win in interviews and whiteboard sessions. That said, there is nothing keeping him from being the belle of the ball for a team in Round 1.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:

Not starting until junior year is pretty typical for a 4A-5A athlete. Doesn't mean he wasn't playing and surely doesn't mean he wasn't working on his skill. I've know coaches that play the quarters game and will split players between jv/varsity just because of player seniority.

Can you share the clip of him under center?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

I didn't like his throwing motion on the last one, want that cleaner and the ball held up a tick higher.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:This is a very, very early "MY GUY!" from me :arrow: it's telling of how poorly I'm expecting this season to go :(

That being said, here's some very quick thoughts of mine on the kid:

I'm simply enamored by his athleticism, arm strength, size, and really his character: people have raved about it. His father played professional baseball and the kid spent a lot of his youth around professional athletes and it seems like it has rubbed off on him.

6'3" 230 lbs and he has a RIFLE for an arm (no joke, he can throw it 65 yards from his knees). He's this odd mix of Favre/Manziel/Rodgers when you look at his elite traits, but he still needs at least one year on the bench refining his mechanics (I don't like where he holds the ball nor how he stands in the pocket, needs to clean up his footwork as well) but the talent is there. He'll make some throws that will leave your jaw on the floor (across his body, but accurate and with zip) and other 'simple' throws that he will flat-out miss (read: mechanics).

I'm sure he'll move up the boards as the season progresses (of course, assuming his shoulder is healthy) but I'd gladly spend a 2nd or 3rd on the kid if he finishes out this season as I am expecting. He's not Russell Wilson, he's not Johnny Manziel, he's somewhere in the middle with a better arm than either.

Keep an eye on this kid... just turned 21 and is currently a Junior.
I really like Mahomes, but I think he needs to ride the bench for at least a year in the pros. If the Bears can do that I want him.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:Most likely Mahomes has played football all his life. He's had access to trainers, coaches and special position coaches. Do you think a month is really going to "change" his mechanics? You could see a tweak here or there for the underwear Olympic but as soon as the helmet and pads go on, those tweaks will go out the window. This kid can really spin the ball has good size and wants to throw from the pocket first and foremost but also has the ablitly to use his legs.

He's only ever had to learn offensive systems. I doubt anyone in HS or college ever cared that he looked bad as long as he could sling the rock. He wasn't ever under a QB guru who emphasized footwork in the west coast style.

I've taken guys off the street and coached them to play QB. I'm sure a real football coach can teach a guy who's played in a high level structure can teach the kid to take a snap, drop back 3-5-7 yards and throw the ball as the WR makes his cut. His throwing mechanics will never be perfect, but the footwork is what NFL coaches will want to see synced with the WR's route tree. It's not like Mahomes looks like Leftwich when he throws...his release is actually pretty decent...but that arm just looks off some times. And yes, that can be dones easily in a month...good thing he's probably already been working on it these last few weeks!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

This write up right here is exactly how I feel about Mahomes

http://www.forwardfantasyfocus.com/fff- ... rett-favre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:This write up right here is exactly how I feel about Mahomes

http://www.forwardfantasyfocus.com/fff- ... rett-favre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
now what am i supposed to do with this erection?
i'll probably just go watch some brad kaaya cutups to make it go away. easier than bothering my wife.
UOK
Site Admin

This throw here gave me 8/10 wood.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... rmat=1000w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:This write up right here is exactly how I feel about Mahomes

now what am i supposed to do with this erection?
i'll probably just go watch some brad kaaya cutups to make it go away. easier than bothering my wife.
Rusty, your posts are great.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Nice podcast about Mahomes and his pre-draft workout/prep

http://bearsbarroom.com/bears-barroom-r ... l-peppers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Another nice breakdown by two draftniks....

[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

malk
Head Coach

What is the defensive back doing on the second throw?!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:What is the defensive back doing on the second throw?!

looks like he is running along and getting beat
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Probably not thinking he was going to rip it 55+ yards after running around, Favre did that to us once upon a time back in the 90s.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Probably not thinking he was going to rip it 55+ yards after running around, Favre did that to us once upon a time back in the 90s.

Burnt Fart did that to the Bears more than once ... the most egregious one I can recall was a Monday Night game where he was running around in his own endzone before playing bomber pilot on a 90+ yard TD pass (about 50 yards of that in the air)
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:

Burnt Fart did that to the Bears more than once ... the most egregious one I can recall was a Monday Night game where he was running around in his own endzone before playing bomber pilot on a 90+ yard TD pass (about 50 yards of that in the air)
That'st the one that immediately came to mind. Our corner was like "I didn't think he could throw it that far". I want to say it was Jeremy Lincoln.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:

That'st the one that immediately came to mind. Our corner was like "I didn't think he could throw it that far". I want to say it was Jeremy Lincoln.
Donnell Woolford was the victim

[video][/video]

3rd and 10 and the Bears give up a 99 yard TD .... that's some vintage suck right there
George Carlin