QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:This write up right here is exactly how I feel about Mahomes

http://www.forwardfantasyfocus.com/fff- ... rett-favre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
now what am i supposed to do with this erection?
i'll probably just go watch some brad kaaya cutups to make it go away. easier than bothering my wife.
Rusty, your posts are great.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Nice podcast about Mahomes and his pre-draft workout/prep

http://bearsbarroom.com/bears-barroom-r ... l-peppers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Another nice breakdown by two draftniks....

[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

What is the defensive back doing on the second throw?!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:What is the defensive back doing on the second throw?!

looks like he is running along and getting beat
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Probably not thinking he was going to rip it 55+ yards after running around, Favre did that to us once upon a time back in the 90s.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Probably not thinking he was going to rip it 55+ yards after running around, Favre did that to us once upon a time back in the 90s.

Burnt Fart did that to the Bears more than once ... the most egregious one I can recall was a Monday Night game where he was running around in his own endzone before playing bomber pilot on a 90+ yard TD pass (about 50 yards of that in the air)
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:

Burnt Fart did that to the Bears more than once ... the most egregious one I can recall was a Monday Night game where he was running around in his own endzone before playing bomber pilot on a 90+ yard TD pass (about 50 yards of that in the air)
That'st the one that immediately came to mind. Our corner was like "I didn't think he could throw it that far". I want to say it was Jeremy Lincoln.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:

That'st the one that immediately came to mind. Our corner was like "I didn't think he could throw it that far". I want to say it was Jeremy Lincoln.
Donnell Woolford was the victim

[video][/video]

3rd and 10 and the Bears give up a 99 yard TD .... that's some vintage suck right there
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I was thinking of a different one... he went up the left sideline and I recall they were moving left to right.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I was thinking of a different one... he went up the left sideline and I recall they were moving left to right.

that's the unfortunate history, that there are so many of these types of plays he made against the Bears we could come up with multiple examples
George Carlin
Adipost
MVP

Not to rain on the parade of all of these HOF predictione, but here is the list of QB's coming out of the air raid offense:

Tim Couch
Brandon Weeden
Johnny Manziel
Kevin Kolb
Geno Smith
John Beck
Nick Foles
Josh Heupel
Kliff Kingsbury
B.J. Symons
Case Keenum
Dominique Davis
Graham Harrell
Jared Lorenzen
Jason White
Max Hall
Nate Hybl
Sonny Cumbie
Taylor Potts
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Forgot

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson (NC State)
Philip Rivers
Big Ben

Other Spread Systems

Marcus Marriota
Alex Smith
Can Newton
Adipost
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:Forgot

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson (NC State)
Philip Rivers
Big Ben

Other Spread Systems

Marcus Marriota
Alex Smith
Can Newton
I mean the specific Texas Tech air raid.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So specifically Kliff and Lynch players. Because your list isn't compiled of only Tech guys.
Adipost
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:So specifically Kliff and Lynch players. Because your list isn't compiled of only Tech guys.
Pure air raid QB's
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:Not to rain on the parade of all of these HOF predictione, but here is the list of QB's coming out of the air raid offense:

Tim Couch
Brandon Weeden
Johnny Manziel
Kevin Kolb
Geno Smith
John Beck
Nick Foles
Josh Heupel
Kliff Kingsbury
B.J. Symons
Case Keenum
Dominique Davis
Graham Harrell
Jared Lorenzen
Jason White
Max Hall
Nate Hybl
Sonny Cumbie
Taylor Potts
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz should I break out the list of QBs that failed from pro style systems? I'm sure my list would be longer... hey I could also put out a list of QBs who failed that were 6'4" or maybe I could put out a list of QBs with five letter last names that have failed in the NFL since we're making lists of failed QBs that don't matter because those guys aren't Mahomes... point to the one on the list that had Mahomes's arm talent...
Last edited by BamaBear09 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

1st round QBs have an under 50% success rate. Technically picking a QB in the first is a losing proposition.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

or, how about this list:

jimmy clausen
brady quinn
rick mirer
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:Not to rain on the parade of all of these HOF predictione, but here is the list of QB's coming out of the air raid offense:

Tim Couch
Brandon Weeden
Johnny Manziel
Kevin Kolb
Geno Smith
John Beck
Nick Foles
Josh Heupel
Kliff Kingsbury
B.J. Symons
Case Keenum
Dominique Davis
Graham Harrell
Jared Lorenzen
Jason White
Max Hall
Nate Hybl
Sonny Cumbie
Taylor Potts
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz should I break out the list of QBs that failed from pro style systems? I'm sure my list would be longer... hey I could also put out a list of QBs who failed that were 6'4" or maybe I could put out a list of QBs with five letter last names that have failed in the NFL since we're making lists of failed QBs that don't matter because those guys aren't Mahomes... point to the one on the list that had Mahomes's arm talent...
Has every pro style system QB failed in the NFL? Have all 6'4" QBs failed in the NFL??
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Quick look at first round picks spread vs not, bust vs not. I don't know if there is a direct correlation.

Google doc of below info

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota Spread
Blake Bortles ?
Johnny Manziel Spread Bust
Teddy Bridgewater Spread
EJ Manuel Bust
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III Spread ?
Ryan Tannehill Spread ?
Brandon Weeden Bust
Cam Newton Spread
Jake Locker Bust
Blaine Gabbert Spread Bust
Christian Ponder Bust
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow Spread Bust
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez Bust
Josh Freeman Bust
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
JaMarcus Russell Bust
Brady Quinn Spread Bust
Vince Young Bust
Matt Leinart Bust
Jay Cutler
Alex Smith Spread
Aaron Rodgers Spread
Jason Campbell Bust
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers Spread
Ben Roethlisberger Spread
J.P. Losman Bust
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich Bust
Kyle Boller Spread Bust
Rex Grossman Bust
David Carr
Joey Harrington Spread Bust
Patrick Ramsey Bust
Michael Vick
Chad Pennington
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:

Tim Couch
Brandon Weeden
Johnny Manziel
Kevin Kolb
Geno Smith
John Beck
Nick Foles
Josh Heupel
Kliff Kingsbury
B.J. Symons
Case Keenum
Dominique Davis
Graham Harrell
Jared Lorenzen
Jason White
Max Hall
Nate Hybl
Sonny Cumbie
Taylor Potts
Has every pro style system QB failed in the NFL? Have all 6'4" QBs failed in the NFL??
Again, point to the guy on the list who has the same arm talent as Mahomes. Normally guys who have played in the system needed the system to make them better Mahomes could have played in any system, and had he started football before his junior year in high school, he would have gotten more than 3 scholarship offers. You need to dig in a bit more and watch the little things Mahomes does, he understands the QB position beyond someone who's been playing It for only 5 years.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:or, how about this list:

jimmy clausen
brady quinn
rick mirer
I would like to shake your hand sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Adipost
MVP

Mahomes is going to have to change his ENTIRE playing style to have any chance in the NFL. I guess you could hope that he somehow transforms into a totally different qb, but that's not something NFL teams can count on.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:Mahomes is going to have to change his ENTIRE playing style to have any chance in the NFL. I guess you could hope that he somehow transforms into a totally different qb, but that's not something NFL teams can count on.
Why does he have to change his entire playing style? He makes quick reads. Mechanics need to be tuned yes, but what else does he need to do? Go under center more? That's easily learned
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:Mahomes is going to have to change his ENTIRE playing style to have any chance in the NFL. I guess you could hope that he somehow transforms into a totally different qb, but that's not something NFL teams can count on.
Why is he going to have to change? Please, break this down and explain why and where he actually needs to change to become an NFL QB. Give real examples and not just some vague, "cause air raid" reason. Guys who have to change completely don't get drafted into the NFL and they surely don't get projected to go in the early rounds... so please tell us with examples why he has to become a TOTALLY different QB to play in the NFL.
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Why is he going to have to change? Please, break this down and explain why and where he actually needs to change to become an NFL QB. Give real examples and not just some vague, "cause air raid" reason. Guys who have to change completely don't get drafted into the NFL and they surely don't get projected to go in the early rounds... so please tell us with examples why he has to become a TOTALLY different QB to play in the NFL.
The only reason he is draftable is because his arm talent will intrigue a team into drafting him. Everything else is a train wreck.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Adi with little watching and hell even searching its easy to list his flaws that need fixing. Some are fixable, others can be learned. Of those some might not be. To not list them or others seems like a copout.

Simple example.

He doesn't keep weight on his plant foot. Leaving him to throw off his. This causes accuracy issues. Its been shown not to always get better see Cutler.
Adipost
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:Adi with little watching and hell even searching its easy to list his flaws that need fixing. Some are fixable, others can be learned. Of those some might not be. To not list them or others seems like a copout.

Simple example.

He doesn't keep weight on his plant foot. Leaving him to throw off his. This causes accuracy issues. Its been shown not to always get better see Cutler.
Im not referring to his mechanical issues. I'm talking about his play style.