QB Prospect Discussion: Mitchy Mitchy Mitchyy Trubisky, UNC

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I really don't think Rudolph will make it to the 2nd.
Is he already in the first round talk?
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Rudolph has his warts but if these dudes all come out, I'd have to think at least one of them falls to round 2:

Trubisky (my favorite, I think he goes top 10 before it's all said and done)

Kizer (has the size and arm talent scouts will drool over, hasn't played well this season)

Watson (great performances on the big stage, big arm, athletic, smaller in stature, mediocre play this season, fairly simple scheme -- can he read defenses at an NFL level consistently?)

Rudolph (impressive size/strength, floats his deep ball at times, inaccurate and misses high fairly often, nice upside)

Kaaya (mediocre arm strength, unimpressive athleticism, developing bad habits behind an awful line)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Trubisky had 2 time outs in his pocket, 1:51 on the clock, down by 1 with the ball at his 4 yard line. Gets one first down and then throws a pick.

That's called shitting the bed.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(mods, do we have the ability to post vines?)

G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like the Cleveland front office has already given on this season.

They are eyeing UNC QB Mitch Trubisky.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/11/20 ... h-trubisky

"They love him," a top evaluator from another NFL club said. "Trust me, they love him."
:angry:

malk
Head Coach

More chance of Allen then!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

NFL Draft Bites

Rumors swirling Mitch Trubisky is Bears guy. John Fox making 'All I need is a QB' pitch to ownership clearly. Throwing Cutler under the bus.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:NFL Draft Bites

Rumors swirling Mitch Trubisky is Bears guy. John Fox making 'All I need is a QB' pitch to ownership clearly. Throwing Cutler under the bus.
No surprise. Cutler getting blame for an injury plagued & mismanaged season while Fox and co. sail on.

I wish they would get rid of all of them. Fox, Cutler, etc. Just get rid of all of these motherfuckers. Keep Fangio, most of the defense, but anyone that's got question marks, dump their asses.

I hate this fucking team.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
NFL Draft Bites

Mountain of salt aside, that doesn't sound like Fox so would be a big red flag for me.

I think I'm done with him...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

mshu7
Pro Bowler

UOK wrote:
G08 wrote:NFL Draft Bites

No surprise. Cutler getting blame for an injury plagued & mismanaged season while Fox and co. sail on.

I wish they would get rid of all of them. Fox, Cutler, etc. Just get rid of all of these motherfuckers. Keep Fangio, most of the defense, but anyone that's got question marks, dump their asses.

I hate this fucking team.
Completely agree.

If they keep Fox, next year we are still being drug down with Loggains or we are on to yet another new OC. And we are going to trust them with our new franchise (hopefully) QB? Any way you slice it, keeping Fox beyond this year is just setting us back. The Fox regime has been a disaster, except for Fangio. We know how his book is going to end and that's why the Bears should send him out to pasture at seasons end.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

Some big-boy NFL throws here... bomb that covers 58 yards in the air, a 25 yard out from the opposite hash, another 40 yarder sprinting to the right, etc.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Just don't get your hopes up man. As of right now he won't make it, to four.
G08
Hall of Famer

There will be a lot of back-and-forth / up-and-down talk as we move into the off-season, I've read that Cleveland loves him but I just don't think this kid is worth the #1 overall pick.

Who knows... right now he's my favorite prospect for the Bears, the Cutler days are ovah.

malk
Head Coach

I worry about him having to work through progressions but the stats and the arm are lovely. Great zip on his intermediate balls. Anyone know what happened in the Virginia Tech game?

Weirdly the three I like, him, Mahomes and Rudolph all had inaccurate games this week...

EDIT: Can answer that myself. Awful conditions, no protection and lots of drops. Poor decision on his first interception and a few other bad ones but they were mostly after his offence was forced to be one dimensional without protection. Not sure I'd put all of it on him.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Heck looking pretty good in those highlights
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

You know I originally agree with the thought he shouldn't be the first overall. However looking back at a few drafts why not?
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

You know I originally agree with the thought he shouldn't be the first overall. However looking back at a few drafts why not?
Yeah that's a good point, man. He's from Ohio and a die hard Cleveland Browns fan... I'd have to think with how much that organization apparently loves him, this will be the icing on the cake to sell to their fan base.

If we can lock up the #2 overall pick... hello Myles Garrett!!!

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Yeah that's a good point, man. He's from Ohio and a die hard Cleveland Browns fan... I'd have to think with how much that organization apparently loves him, this will be the icing on the cake to sell to their fan base.

If we can lock up the #2 overall pick... hello Myles Garrett!!!
I just think they'll be leery of a #1 overall QB again. There will be a lot of pressure though.

But McPhee, Floyd and Garrett, eye watering!

G08
Hall of Famer

Trubisky and his Tar Heels will be playing on ESPN in about 10 minutes if anyone else has the day off!

G08
Hall of Famer

NFL Executive on Mitch Trubisky:
North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky is one of the 2016 season's biggest risers. He's gone from relative unknown to being widely considered as one of the top prospects at his position.

Just how high has his ascent taken him? One NFC executive says he's a top-10 pick.

"Accurate, good vision, athletic, tough ... I think he's a top-10 pick," the exec told MMQB.

Another NFC exec agreed with that take, telling MMQB that the only concerns about Trubisky are related to questions about his experience (only one season as a starter) and leadership (he's quieter than some scouts would like, per the report).

He's certainly caught the eye of NFL.com analysts and former scouts Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah. Brooks compared him to Chiefs QB Alex Smith last month, and Jeremiah likened him to former Kansas City QB Trent Green.

Trubisky, a junior whose Tar Heels are hosting North Carolina State on Friday, would be available in the 2017 NFL Draft if he applies for and is granted early eligibility. Underclassmen like Trubisky have until a Jan. 16 deadline to apply for early eligibility.

While Trubisky has sparked intrigue within the NFL scouting community, there's long been talk that the 2017 draft, no matter which underclassmen are granted early entry, will be without a franchise QB. Jeremiah wrote last week that "he won't be surprised to see some teams elevate quarterbacks on their draft board because of a severe need at the position."

Jeremiah includes six NFL teams on his list of clubs that could find themselves in that position when the 2017 draft gets underway on April 27 in Philadelphia.

malk
Head Coach

Alex Smith and Trent Green huh...

G08
Hall of Famer

I don't get the Trent Green comp at all. I see Alex Smith/Tony Romo.

malk
Head Coach

Alex Smith and Tony Romo are very different players though?

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Alex Smith and Tony Romo are very different players though?
They are, I think his throwing motion is very similar to Romo. His athleticism resembles Alex Smith... it's a mix and match from each player.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
malk wrote:Alex Smith and Tony Romo are very different players though?
They are, I think his throwing motion is very similar to Romo. His athleticism resembles Alex Smith... it's a mix and match from each player.
+1. Also Romo is a little happy footed in the pocket where as Smith has less movement. Trubisky is similar to Smith in that aspect. Romo is more apt to drive down field then Smith. Trubisky seems more like Romo there.

His team is not very good. There is a concern about experience. I have seen some ball placement issues. That said he is the a really good prospect. High ceiling guy, with a decent floor.
G08
Hall of Famer

Nice read on my early guy, Mitch Trubisky:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/21/nfl- ... uarterback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The more I look at this guy, the more I think he is the guy, if he comes out.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He checks a lot of boxes in eyes. He doesn't have experience, but there are tools to work with. The interviews will be very important for him. He may not have that special gene that the Rogers, Brady, Montana etc have. But that could develop and he could be very good.

The article G08 posted has me think about the Myers-Briggs test conversation we had last year. He sounds introverted which might not line up with the estj type that was suspected to be the best qb type.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

For NFL teams, there’s a significant challenge in evaluating one-year starters. On one hand, there’s Auburn’s Cam Newton in 2010. On the other, consider Akili Smith. A junior college transfer, Smith had 11 spectacular starts at Oregon and was drafted No. 3 overall by the Bengals in 1999. He made 17 career starts and posted a 52.8 passer rating.

I've always had the impression that 1 yr starters had bad track records (maybe because Akili Smith sticks in my head so much).

If somebody with time on their hands wants to investigate, I'd be interested in the results.

I think maybe
Less than 1.5 yrs starting
Drafted in R1 or 2
1993-2012 (20 yrs, leaving at least 5 yrs after to evaluate)

would be a good sample
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

I like the kid, just not at #3 overall.

Also, he might have Trump-hands.