QB Prospect Discussion: Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

He said the same thing about Derek Carr in 2014.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

FWIW, Benjamin Albright (solid twitter follow) thinks the Bears end up with Kizer when it's all said and done... thinks it might be in a trade back into round 1.

I don't love it, but I could live with it if the kid cleans up his mechanics.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

Brian Kelly throws Deshone Kizer under the bus...again. The fact is that none of these QB's are ready to go yet. Either way, this is stuff you say to coaches who inquire, not on some radio show like a jackass. It's no wonder Kizer didn't stay in school.

College coaches pull this card all the time, and it’s never surprising. There’s an argument for giving football players, particularly quarterbacks, a paid developmental league or some stage in between college and the NFL, but Brian Kelly, who led Notre Dame to an absolutely abysmal 4-8 season in 2016, is not in a position to say that QB prospect DeShone Kizer should have stayed at Notre Dame.

Kelly talked about his former player on Sirius XM Radio today. Via NFL.com:

“Well, [Kizer] still should be in college. The circumstances are such that you have to make business decisions and he felt like it was in his best interest,” Kelly said. “I’m going to support him and his decision. But the reality of it is he needs more football, he needs more time to grow in so many areas. Not just on the field, but off the field.”
Sirius XM paraphrased Kelly’s thoughts in two tweets at the time. One read “DeShone Kizer has a strong arm and is physically gifted. I think he has all the tools but needs time.” The second, which was deleted, read: “DeShone Kizer should still be in college. Needs more time to grow on & off field. He isn’t complete yet.” The full quote is less rude than the secondhand version, and yet, there’s no way Kelly sincerely believes one more season at Notre Dame would have helped Kizer. Perhaps Kizer would have gained from a stable, successful program—not the one Kelly was running, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kizer, who played in two seasons with the Fighting Irish, might not make a smooth transition to the NFL. Few quarterbacks do. Once in a while, someone like Andrew Luck or Cam Newton comes along, then people get horny for QBs and assume all of them will be as plug-and-play as these exceptional, unique prospects. Whether Kizer is successful at the highest level of football is besides the point, however, because recent history suggests he would not have improved if he had stayed in South Bend.

For an actual example of how Kelly handled Kizer at Notre Dame, look at the school’s loss to Stanford last October, in which the coach benched Kizer after he threw two picks, then brought him back in after Malik Zaire turned out to be an inferior replacement. That kind of carousel might prepare Kizer for the NFL if he gets picked by the Jets, but it otherwise wouldn’t seem to help the development of a quarterback.

Playing for a man who habitually throws his subordinates under the bus wouldn’t appear to be beneficial, either. Kelly handled a 10-3 loss to N.C. State in a hurricane by calling out center Sam Mustipher’s “atrocious” snapping, and saying this.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com/brian-kelly-thinks-deshone-kizer-needed-more-time-at-th-1793973779/amp
wab
Mod

Nothing Kelly said about Kizer was false.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Don't see how what Kelly said was throwing Kizer under the bus.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

I think people, arguably justifiably, loathe Brian Kelly. Plus I feel like most are upset that his college coach isn't singing his praises to help his own former player out. Going to the media and saying he should've stayed feels like sour grapes.
wab
Mod

Jeff Tedford said similar things about Aaron Rodgers, but Jeff Tedford isn't universally loathed by people that hate the team he coaches.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Does Kelly have any connection to anyone in Halas Hall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Jeff Tedford said similar things about Aaron Rodgers, but Jeff Tedford isn't universally loathed by people that hate the team he coaches.
Before Adipost runs with this saying Kizer is the next Aaron Rodgers, Pete Carroll also said similar things about Mark Sanchez.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Adipost
MVP

90 percent of him is a great prospect, but the other 10 percent could make that 90 irrelevant.

presnapreads.com/2017/04/05/deshone-kizer-and-diverging-traits/
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I'll just leave this here...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703 ... head-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IotaNet
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:I'll just leave this here...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703 ... head-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Truthfully, all the comments around Kizer make me feel a little dirty for even reading them. First his coach Brian Kelly throws him under the bus, then he walks back his comments. but Kizer has to respond to them lest he be perceived to be hiding something.. Now the famous "unnamed" coach steps in with negative commentary. (I wonder if this is the same "unnamed" coach who doubted Teddy Bridgewater's ability to be the face of a franchise.)

The draft is one great big soap opera of misinformation -- which is gleefully enabled by websites that are all searching for more clicks. After a while it feels like a whorehouse.
:flick:
Last edited by IotaNet on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

IotaNet wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:I'll just leave this here...

Truthfully, all the comments around Kizer make me feel a little dirty for even reading them. First his coach Brian Kelly throws him under the bus, then he walks back his comments. but Kizer has to respond to them lest he be perceived to be hiding something.. Now the famous "unnamed" coach steps in with negative commentary. (I wonder if this is the same "unnamed" coach who doubted Teddy Bridgewater's ability to be the face of a franchise.)

The draft is one great big soap opera of misinformation -- which is gleefully enabled by websites that are all searching for more clicks. After a while it feels like a whorehouse.
:flick:
Just gotta love ole unnamed coach that always seems to make the rounds about now... so hard to tell what is legit and what isn't...
UOK
Site Admin

Just your daily reminder that Kizer is garbage and if the Bears draft him, my penis will invert.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:if the Bears draft him, my penis will invert.
I'm willing for you to pay that price in order to get a QB with a high ceiling.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
he'll learn to be accurate later!
it's weird to me that one of the pluses for deshone is that his mechanics are pretty good, but his accuracy is still pretty shitty. like, if you're going to worry that he's going to buck the trend for sub 60% completion percentage college qb's, wouldnt you like him to have mechanics that need alot more work?
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Anyone else think he didn't WANT to play for Brian Kelly anymore? I mean, he was already in the discussion for top QB, so he didn't have much of an incentive to transfer.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
he'll learn to be accurate later!
it's weird to me that one of the pluses for deshone is that his mechanics are pretty good, but his accuracy is still pretty shitty. like, if you're going to worry that he's going to buck the trend for sub 60% completion percentage college qb's, wouldnt you like him to have mechanics that need alot more work?
I think you're overrating raw stats from situations that aren't comparable.
The kind of offense being run and the type of reads and throws matters.
(As well as talent around you.)

Watson has an excellent comp %...and yet poor accuracy is one of the major knocks against him.

If you know that Kizer played 1 game in a hurricane and throw that out, his two years were 63.0 and 60.4.
All things considered - offense, talent, ND's 2016 season - those numbers aren't any big deal. A smidgen of a negative, at most.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:Just your daily reminder that Kizer is garbage and if the Bears draft him, my penis will invert.
What QB's would you be ok with drafting?
Adipost
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:Anyone else think he didn't WANT to play for Brian Kelly anymore? I mean, he was already in the discussion for top QB, so he didn't have much of an incentive to transfer.
That's a no brainer.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
I think you're overrating raw stats from situations that aren't comparable.
The kind of offense being run and the type of reads and throws matters.
(As well as talent around you.)

Watson has an excellent comp %...and yet poor accuracy is one of the major knocks against him.

If you know that Kizer played 1 game in a hurricane and throw that out, his two years were 63.0 and 60.4.
All things considered - offense, talent, ND's 2016 season - those numbers aren't any big deal. A smidgen of a negative, at most.
hey buddy, i dont know how you do things where you come from, but around here we wait til a player puts on a bear's uniform before making excuses for their terrible play.
G08
Hall of Famer

Ya know... I thought he was pretty damned impressive on Gruden's QB Camp. Sounds like a sharp, driven kid.

The tape on the other hand, yeesh. Kid has some work to do but I'd love him in round 2.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"I do have the ability to be the greatest quarterback to ever play. Imagine taking Brady’s intellect and Brady’s preparation and putting it on a guy with Cam Newton’s body."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tons-body/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
malk
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"I do have the ability to be the greatest quarterback to ever play. Imagine taking Brady’s intellect and Brady’s preparation and putting it on a guy with Cam Newton’s body."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tons-body/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wowzers. Bowzers.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Lmao please stay away from this delusional dumb ass
G08
Hall of Famer

I still maintain he impressed me on Gruden's show... Seems like a sharp fuckin kid.

His tape though, bleh.

Adipost
MVP

I love it. Remember, San Fran drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers because they thought Rodgers was too arrogant/cocky.

Hematite
Player of the Month

I hope he's right if the Bears draft him, otherwise...somebody drug test this man, because I think he took too many hits of the bong today!
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:

I love it. Remember, San Fran drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers because they thought Rodgers was too arrogant/cocky.

So now he's Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Cam Newton all in one?