QB Prospect Discussion: Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

He threads the needle in a goal line situation, throwing into bad double coverage. In the NFL that's an end zone pick.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:I don't give a flying fuck about how he interviews or how media savvy and/or charming he is. I don't like how he looks on the field, and just because he'd make a good analyst in retirement doesn't mean he'll be worth a shit as a QB.
Give me a football smart, articulate kid with solid physical traits and I'll find a way to get his machines cleaned up. You can always improve that if the kid is willing to put in the work.

His tape and right now, I hate him. But these dudes aren't finished products.
YOU ARE ALREADY DOING IT!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I don't give a flying fuck about how he interviews or how media savvy and/or charming he is. I don't like how he looks on the field, and just because he'd make a good analyst in retirement doesn't mean he'll be worth a shit as a QB.

and I think it is highly possible he DOES become the next Brady Quinn ... Notre Dame QB drafted with all the hopes and dreams, showed in a short period of time he could not handle the NFL game, and became a studio talking head "expert"

Kizer has a template to follow
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:Showing that GIF over and over doesn't really do much man.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:He threads the needle in a goal line situation, throwing into bad double coverage. In the NFL that's an end zone pick.
Kizer is deadly accurate in the red zone. That's not a pick, he rifled it in there.
wab
Mod

Adipost's dream draft:
1 - Kizer
2 - Conley
3 - Mixon
4 - Brantley
4 - Rae Carruth
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Adipost's dream draft:
1 - Kizer
2 - Conley
3 - Mixon
4 - Brantley
4 - Rae Carruth
-1 for not drafting OJ Simpson
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:Adipost's dream draft:
1 - Kizer
2 - Conley
3 - Mixon
4 - Brantley
4 - Rae Carruth
Yes, I've liked Conley for a while. He was in my Messiah Mock Off-season a while back.

www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10919
UOK
Site Admin

@danwiederer
10) I see little chance Bears would take DeShone Kizer, even at No. 36. Some raise big questions about how he'll invest in the process.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Kizer needs to go to a team with an established successful vet to sit behind and learn from ... I think the Cardinals are a good fit for him ... Arians will straighten out his mental focus
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think Andy Reid is the best option for Kizer.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think Andy Reid is the best option for Kizer.
And Watson, honestly.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Good QB coach is probably good for every young QB.

I would argue Arians would be better for a Kizer, and Mahomes, then Reid. Reid would do better with Webb, and Watson.

Realistically Hue Jackson is a good fit for Trubisky. He has worked with a lot of bad QBs and had some success. He fits that style and Hue has shown designed movement in his style.
malk
Head Coach

And for Fox?

I'll get my coat.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
thunderspirit
Head Coach

malk wrote:And for Fox?

I'll get my coat.
CJ Beathard, probably.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Love that Kizer brought his little sister on to the carpet. I don't want the Bears to pick him, but I wish him the best.
wab
Mod

The only thing that would top this draft is if the Bears took Kizer at 36.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:The only thing that would top this draft is if the Bears took Kizer at 36.
Well maybe they can trade up from 36 to 35 and give up the rest of their picks and then draft Kizer... you know, do it right...
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-i ... -for-a-qb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I spoke to execs from several teams that drafted a quarterback in this process and heard the same thing time and again as to why Kizer, the projected first-overall pick back in September when the season began, fell out of the first round entirely. The more time some teams spent with him and the more work they did on him, it gave them pause.

"The quarterback has to be clean, especially when you are taking him that high," one exec said. "He can't be a pain in the ass. It isn't just what [Notre Dame coach Brian] Kelly said about him. That's not really it. It's that he wasn't really a team leader.

"When you brought in kids from that school and you asked them about Kizer, no one ever really got excited. It wasn't like, 'He's the man! That's my guy! You ask Clemson kids about (Deshaun) Watson, and it's like, 'That's our dog! He is our leader. We'd do anything for that guy.' You talk to kids from UNC about Trubisky and it was the same thing. But with Kizer it was like, 'He's a cool guy.' That's going to be a challenging situation for him, going to Cleveland, having to be the savior."
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-i ... -for-a-qb/

I spoke to execs from several teams that drafted a quarterback in this process and heard the same thing time and again as to why Kizer, the projected first-overall pick back in September when the season began, fell out of the first round entirely. The more time some teams spent with him and the more work they did on him, it gave them pause.

"The quarterback has to be clean, especially when you are taking him that high," one exec said. "He can't be a pain in the ass. It isn't just what [Notre Dame coach Brian] Kelly said about him. That's not really it. It's that he wasn't really a team leader.

"When you brought in kids from that school and you asked them about Kizer, no one ever really got excited. It wasn't like, 'He's the man! That's my guy! You ask Clemson kids about (Deshaun) Watson, and it's like, 'That's our dog! He is our leader. We'd do anything for that guy.' You talk to kids from UNC about Trubisky and it was the same thing. But with Kizer it was like, 'He's a cool guy.' That's going to be a challenging situation for him, going to Cleveland, having to be the savior."
Leading up to the 2005 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers gave an edge to eventual No. 1 pick Alex Smith thanks to his humble nature and a litany of perceived flaws in Aaron Rodgers -- cockiness, arrogance and a goofy throwing motion among them.

"The other thing as Alex at the time was a good kid -- a very good person, a safe choice, always trying to please," former 49ers coach Mike Nolan said Tuesday morning on NFL HQ. "On the other hand, Aaron was very cocky, very confident, arrogant. So you can say, 'Why didn't you take him to begin with?' Because that's really what your best quarterbacks look like. They aren't very pleasing. They aren't very safe."
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:Because that's really what your best quarterbacks look like. They aren't very pleasing. They aren't very safe."
Middleguard
MVP

UOK wrote:
Adipost wrote:Because that's really what your best quarterbacks look like. They aren't very pleasing. They aren't very safe."
Do you consider your illustration to be in support or rejection of Adi's post?
UOK
Site Admin

Middleguard wrote:
UOK wrote:
Do you consider your illustration to be in support or rejection of Adi's post?
Yes.
Middleguard
MVP

What I thought.
Adipost
MVP

Anybody watch Kizer?

[video][/video]
Adipost
MVP

[video][/video]
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Both those plays he did nothing but stare at the receiver the whole time. Nice throws though
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'll raise you:

[video][/video]
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I really thought Hue liked Cody Kessler more. He's not even getting a real chance.