QB Prospect Discussion: Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read that profile and tell me who that sounds like...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:Just to reiterate my stance... I think he'd be a solid get in round 2 but a terrible reach at #3 overall.

If you just watch his highlights, or when he's 'on', he looks top a top 3 pick. The problem is, there are solid chunks of garbage play that separates those highlights.

Give me the dude that slapped Alabama around twice on the big stage every time if I'm looking for a franchise QB. Chicago has no business thinking they can take a talented QB and develop him. We need as close to a finished product as possible so we limit the chances in which we fuck him up.

Kizer would be another Cutler here.
Pace drafts the high ceiling physical freaks in the 1st round.
Ah, so Mahomes it is :)

I'll say this as of today: I'll be shocked if we take Kizer or Watson, knowing what little I know about Pace
So another year of Cutler?
You're talking to arguably the biggest Cutler fan/supporter on this board.

I was also a Cutler apologist up until this season.
Took a new job, Kizer apologist.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Weird I don't see anywhere in that story where Brian Kelly had it out for him... maybe they missed that part, huh?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557983

Read that profile and tell me who that sounds like...

Can be too reliant upon arm strength over mechanics. Wants open throwing window rather than operating with early anticipation. Can improve in leading receivers and throwing stationary targets open.
To me it sounds like Cutty.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Another analysts take on Kizer's issues - http://www.qbmecca.com/deshone-kizer-still-needs-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adipost
MVP

Chris Emma on Deshone Kizer:

2.) DeShone Kizer, 21, Notre Dame — While many Notre Dame quarterbacks have proved to be overrated entering the NFL Draft — perhaps a byproduct of their collegiate surroundings and successes — Kizer is a case of the opposite. He’s being vastly underrated because of the failures his Fighting Irish faced in 2016.

Kizer wasn’t to blame for Notre Dame’s dismal 4-8 season. Those were the failures of his head coach and a poor surrounding cast, which in turn forced Kizer to press. Kizer was forced into a poor situation, and his NFL stock took a hit.

But don’t be mistaken: Kizer would be an excellent fit for the Bears or any other team. He has NFL size and boasts a strong arm and quick feet. He has all the tools needed to be successful as a starter at the next level.

UOK
Site Admin

If I read "NFL size" as a #1 reason a guy should be ranked above others again, I will vomit.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:If I read "NFL size" as a #1 reason a guy should be ranked above others again, I will vomit.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:If I read "NFL size" as a #1 reason a guy should be ranked above others again, I will vomit.
Please stop posting that, I must have seen it 4 or 5 different times today
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Please stop posting that, I must have seen it 4 or 5 different times today
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:Chris Emma on Deshone Kizer:

2.) DeShone Kizer, 21, Notre Dame — While many Notre Dame quarterbacks have proved to be overrated entering the NFL Draft — perhaps a byproduct of their collegiate surroundings and successes — Kizer is a case of the opposite. He’s being vastly underrated because of the failures his Fighting Irish faced in 2016.

Kizer wasn’t to blame for Notre Dame’s dismal 4-8 season. Those were the failures of his head coach and a poor surrounding cast, which in turn forced Kizer to press. Kizer was forced into a poor situation, and his NFL stock took a hit.

But don’t be mistaken: Kizer would be an excellent fit for the Bears or any other team. He has NFL size and boasts a strong arm and quick feet. He has all the tools needed to be successful as a starter at the next level.
ZOMG someone agrees with you, guess what...
5.) Patrick Mahomes, 21, Texas Tech — Meet the sleeper of this quarterback class: Mahomes’ name is about to rise up draft boards. He has been a well-kept secret in part because NFL types are concerned about his system tendencies from the Texas Tech “Air Raid” offense. But he isn’t a system quarterback.

Mahomes has the physical tools that can translate to an NFL offense.
He boasts a strong arm and has athleticism to extend a play in a pro-style system. The NFL’s College Advisory Committee offered a second-round grade for Mahomes, but that could soon change.

In Indianapolis next week, Mahomes could see his stock rise, as the quarterback pecking order is still far from decided. Mahomes has the opportunity to prove his tools worthy at the NFL Combine. Watch as he could fly into first-round projections soon.
Guess you missed that part, huh?
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:Chris Emma on Deshone Kizer:

ZOMG someone agrees with you, guess what...
5.) Patrick Mahomes, 21, Texas Tech — Meet the sleeper of this quarterback class: Mahomes’ name is about to rise up draft boards. He has been a well-kept secret in part because NFL types are concerned about his system tendencies from the Texas Tech “Air Raid” offense. But he isn’t a system quarterback.

Mahomes has the physical tools that can translate to an NFL offense.
He boasts a strong arm and has athleticism to extend a play in a pro-style system. The NFL’s College Advisory Committee offered a second-round grade for Mahomes, but that could soon change.

In Indianapolis next week, Mahomes could see his stock rise, as the quarterback pecking order is still far from decided. Mahomes has the opportunity to prove his tools worthy at the NFL Combine. Watch as he could fly into first-round projections soon.
Guess you missed that part, huh?
Wrong thread.......agayn.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
Wrong thread.......agayn.
wab
Mod

Zierlein doesn't have Kizer in round 1
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -qb-issues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

who the heck is chris emma and why is anything he says relevant?

Kizer is not a 1st round pick by too many accounts at this stage of the evaluation process. The more anyone sees of his film the more underwhelmed they generally get. He still has the chance to whelm people at the combine and perhaps get drafted by Houston (or any team sneaky enough to trade up in front of Houston, but I'd take Kaaya over Kizer at this point because I know Kaaya will at least be a serviceable game manager at worst.

To put this into better perspective, I liked Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty better as a prospects than I do Kizer right now.

I willingly admit that I was down on Mariotta also and he proved many of us wrong so there is no guarantee in this evaluation process, but if I were forced to bet on one and only one prospect in this class, Kizer wouldn't get a sniff of interest from me.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

Atkins&Rebel wrote:who the heck is chris emma and why is anything he says relevant?
I agree with most of your post, as it's anti-Kizer which is a fun hill to fight upon. I hate Kizer. He blows.

Chris Emma is a WSCR guy who covers the Bears. I don't know if he's that tied in the team or if his sources are the same as anyone else's, but he's usually got a good feel for the team. Not sure how much I like Emma (his radio voice is horrible), but I feel like you could do way worse.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:who the heck is chris emma and why is anything he says relevant?
I agree with most of your post, as it's anti-Kizer which is a fun hill to fight upon. I hate Kizer. He blows.

Chris Emma is a WSCR guy who covers the Bears. I don't know if he's that tied in the team or if his sources are the same as anyone else's, but he's usually got a good feel for the team. Not sure how much I like Emma (his radio voice is horrible), but I feel like you could do way worse.
I'm from upstate NY. I've listened to the Score online at times in the past, read both papers when they were the most relevant source of Info for Chicago sports, and I've talked Bears News online for the last 16 years+ and I've never heard of him or seen anything he's had to say quoted before now.

That is why I asked the question. He might have nuggets for the local guys, but I haven't seen him have any national relevance.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

These stories almost always end with a general manager getting fired.
UOK
Site Admin

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
UOK wrote:

I'm from upstate NY. I've listened to the Score online at times in the past, read both papers when they were the most relevant source of Info for Chicago sports, and I've talked Bears News online for the last 16 years+ and I've never heard of him or seen anything he's had to say quoted before now.

That is why I asked the question. He might have nuggets for the local guys, but I haven't seen him have any national relevance.
Eh, he's certainly not that bigtime at all. Just a reporter. One of those guys who will be the tertiary "can confirm" for rumors and crap, but if he says something is valid, I believe him (namely because I don't think he's like Mulligan who could get away with pulling rumors out of his ass).

Biggs is obviously top of the pole right now. As much as people hate Bernstein I do believe he does have one or two people in Halas Hall. Dan Pompei is legit, Rich Campbell is plugged in, and Adam Jahns has a very good beat as well. I trust all of those names to be first.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:

These stories almost always end with a general manager getting fired.
It's important — a player who's undersized is often (not always) an injury risk, and all the talent in the world does the team no good if the guy is stuck in the whirlpool — but certainly not a #1 factor.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

@gamscout
1m
John Lynch said Kizer "blew the doors off" in his interview and is a "very intelligent young man."
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:@gamscout
1m
John Lynch said Kizer "blew the doors off" in his interview and is a "very intelligent young man."
It's time.

UOK
Site Admin

Nah. It just makes me more excited that the 49ers will fuck up and take Kizer at 2.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote:Nah. It just makes me more excited that the 49ers will fuck up and take Kizer at 2.
^ this right here...
wab
Mod

The Niners desperately want to trade out of #2...so this could be a ploy to get the Jets/Bills/Browns to hop up to #2.
Adipost
MVP

[video][/video]
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised Mooch doesn't use a coloring book and 8 set box of crayons ... I think working alongside Micheal Irvin has made him dumber each season
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It sounds like Kizer's combine performance has dropped him behind Mahomes and out of the top 4. Am I reading this wrong? Could he fall to #36?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Could he fall to #36?
Small possibility, and I would be all over it
Mikefive wrote:It sounds like Kizer's combine performance has dropped him behind Mahomes and out of the top 4. Am I reading this wrong?
I would say yes. Their stock may have gone in opposite directions from Combine, but not nearly that much.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Could he fall to #36?
Small possibility, and I would be all over it
Mikefive wrote:It sounds like Kizer's combine performance has dropped him behind Mahomes and out of the top 4. Am I reading this wrong?
I would say yes. Their stock may have gone in opposite directions from Combine, but not nearly that much.
Well I've seen multiple mocks that have Kizer going in the second, Mahomes in the first and one where Kizer went AFTER Nathan Peterman... so I'd say some disagree with you but eh, it's all speculation at this point