QB Prospect Discussion: Brad Kaaya, Miami

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hematite
Player of the Month

This is exactly what Pace talked about when he was hired. When your team has a specific need, you tend to over-emphasize the prospects in the draft that fill that need. The fact that no QB is unanimously projected in the top 10 makes this conversation even more interesting. I'd love to pull a rabbit out of a hat as well, but where do you take the chance?
malk
Head Coach

Hematite wrote:Wab, put it out there. Who is this franchise QB you want to be so fucking excited about? In 3 years you can either boast how you should be an NFL scout or you'll realize you are no different than the rest of us... maybe just bitch a little more, which you somehow justify as you caring more than the rest of us. My guess, your franchise QB will probably be no better than what is available to the Bears right now.
Oh my lord, what's so difficult to understand?

If there isn't anyone good enough, don't spend the money. That's it, it's that simple.

Glennon isn't a franchise QB so we shouldn't have bothered signing him for a team that is barely playoff bound.

If Pace doesn't think any of the QBs in the draft are worth high picks then, um, he shouldn't use one on them. Wab can defend himself but I'm guessing he isn't saying that he knows who the next franchise guy will be but rather he knows who they aren't. Why guarantee not having a franchise QB by signing Glennon.

Now funkster wants us to shore up the position. That's fine but there are ways of doing that that don't cost as much as Glennon does. Christ, Hoyer, who I hate as a starter, would be better. Bloody Sanchez would be better! *cough* Barkley would have been better *cough*.

I'm going to shut up now before I get a forum holiday.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Hematite
Player of the Month

Truth is though, you have no idea how Glennon is going to pan out, only conjecture and opinion just like the rest of us. Nobody expects him to be the franchise but not spending the money this year doesn't solve anything either, it's not like it carries over and they have more than enough cash. Hoyer guarantees field goals, not much of a bar being set for Glennon. Sanchez, C'mon man! Bitching about not having a franchise QB is far different than pretending there is one guaranteed sitting there waiting for the team to draft and complaining that they are ignoring the obvious. There is no fool here that doesn't hope for a franchise QB but its much easier said than done.
Funkster
MVP

The QB money was already on the books, they basically changed Cutler's names to Glennon. Your opinion is he's not worth that money, great, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. The problem is, that's the low side of the going rate for a vet starting QB. Which makes your opinion a moot point. Like I've said, the ONLY other starting QB's that are cheaper are on rookie contracts. Plus, Pace seems to really like him and wanted to secure his signing so maybe, just maybe he offered a bit more guaranteed (which cap space allowed) than others that also wanted his services. If Pace locked him in for 5 years 45 plus million guaranteed, I would be right next to you the with the pitch fork and kerosene. On the grand scheme of things, its pennies on the dollar. Glennon is a low cost high up side signing.

I'm in agreement that the bears need to start the process of "trying" to find and groom their QB. I believe that will be Kaaya. If you have paid any attention to the QB's Pace has been linked too, Kaaya fits the bill. If the bears can walk away from this draft with at least 1 starting defensive stud and a project QB, I would consider this draft successful.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
malk
Head Coach

Hematite wrote:Truth is though, you have no idea how Glennon is going to pan out, only conjecture and opinion just like the rest of us. Nobody expects him to be the franchise but not spending the money this year doesn't solve anything either, it's not like it carries over and they have more than enough cash. Hoyer guarantees field goals, not much of a bar being set for Glennon. Sanchez, C'mon man! Bitching about not having a franchise QB is far different than pretending there is one guaranteed sitting there waiting for the team to draft and complaining that they are ignoring the obvious. There is no fool here that doesn't hope for a franchise QB but its much easier said than done.
Sigh.

1. I don't know how Glennon will pan out but I'm willing to make a prediction. Nevertheless, since the QB market is fundamentally broken, paying him $18m guaranteed is almost certainly a bad idea. Top 30 salary in the league so the level he has to play at to be worth that is almost inconceivable.

2. The cap does carry over.

3. The cap space could have been used elsewhere. Don't sign Glennon and Sanchez, do sign Bouye and Wagner (plus cutting Royal or Porter which we should have done anyway). I'd rather see us starting Shaw with Boye and Wagner locked up for a few years than Glennon and Sanchez.

4. No one is pretending there's a guaranteed franchise QB just waiting for us. Literally no one is suggesting that.

5. To get a franchise QB you need to put yourself in a position to get one. Salaries aside, do you think Glennon has a better shot of becoming one than any of the top QBs from this draft? NB that we could sign a top free agent in virtually any position for Glennon's money so the player we'd not be able to sign at #3 instead is almost irrelevant.

@Funkster. You're wilfully missing the point. I believe the QB market is utterly broken so that means you have to take a rookie or a retread rather than a "starting" QB. They are the other, genuine options. Now if you think the number of wins Glennon brings over replacement is worth the players we've not been able to sign because of him then we can argue about that but your point about the going rate for a starting QB is irrelevant to me (except that there's no good reason that Glennon should even be on that rate having proved virtually nothing!).

Pace is bafflingly poor at both cap management and free agency in general.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Hematite
Player of the Month

Your perceived frustrations (sigh!!) are what make these conversations unbearable. God forbid, someone disagree with you. I pray that you do not treat your wife and children, if you have them, the same. You are no more right than me or anybody else on this message board so save your imagined slights for yourself.
wab
Mod

What makes these conversations unbearable is the fact that fans of this team are fine with the lowest common denominator at QB.
Hematite
Player of the Month

I agree wab. Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley would have guaranteed what we already know, which was 3-13 last year. I'm glad we agree on something.
malk
Head Coach

Hematite wrote:Your perceived frustrations (sigh!!) are what make these conversations unbearable. God forbid, someone disagree with you. I pray that you do not treat your wife and children, if you have them, the same. You are no more right than me or anybody else on this message board so save your imagined slights for yourself.
Dude, you wade in here with an aggressively posted straw man argument and then, to back it up, state that no one is any more right or wrong than anyone else on the board. On the latter point, it's either something where inference can be drawn from past events and therefore one could be more right or wrong than another or it's a matter of pure opinion in which case your comment is superfluous. That said, I don't care which it is, I don't give an Fe2O3!

By the by, I do treat my wife occasionally, maybe a special dinner, maybe looking after the bairn unexpectedly so she can go for a run. I'm pretty awesome thanks. Why you'd pray that I don't do that is beyond me, is your deity an arsehole? If so, I'd find a new one, there seem to be loads out there.

wab
Mod

I like you Malk.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

My fear, and current prediction for the Bears, is that Glennon will be the guy Funkster wants. He will have an 85 rating in honor of Ditkas champs. Howard will have a great season in honor of sweetness. The defense will be healthier and tougher though not amazing. The team will win 8 games in a tough schedule and miss the playoffs behind the Lions and Packers. We will draft in the middle of the round and be with so many other teams trying to find our Prescott or Wilson. We won't find him because there aren't many and Pace isn't that lucky or smart. We will stay with Glennon or find another guy who can manage the game into 8 wins and so forth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
malk
Head Coach

Looked nervous in game changers and his accuracy went to hell at the end. Mahomes just exudes confidence. Webb looked a plodder but serviceable.

Funkster
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:My fear, and current prediction for the Bears, is that Glennon will be the guy Funkster wants.
Just because I can see the thought pattern of Pace signing Glennon doesn't mean I'm advocating him as the Bears QB. Glennon is not the QB I wanted the bears to sign. I would love to see a Carr or Cousins type of QB under center but really don't want to see a Wilson or Watson type of QB.
Last edited by Funkster on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Funkster
MVP

malk wrote:Looked nervous in game changers and his accuracy went to hell at the end. Mahomes just exudes confidence. Webb looked a plodder but serviceable.
I agree with you on Mahomes. Like I've said before, he flashes too much Culter and this front office obviously is moving away from that type of QB.

I believe if the bears draft a QB it will be one of these 3 names in no particular order. IMO, the only QB out of those 3 that doesn't fit the Pace MO is Trubisky.

Watson
Trubisky
Kaaya
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think Watson is much more like Mariota and we know Pace wanted Mariota back in 2015. Everything Pace and Fox have said about what they look for in a QB - Watson has fit the description. If Watson is available at 3, I really wouldn't be surprised if he were the pick.
Never Die Easy
malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:
malk wrote:Looked nervous in game changers and his accuracy went to hell at the end. Mahomes just exudes confidence. Webb looked a plodder but serviceable.
I agree with you on Mahomes. Like I've said before, he flashes too much Culter and this front office obviously is moving away from that type of QB.

I believe if the bears draft a QB it will be one of these 3 names in no particular order. IMO, the only QB out of those 3 that doesn't fit the Pace MO is Trubisky.

Watson
Trubisky
Kaaya
I don't see Mitchy Biscuits as a Pace guy, just the one year of starting I'd imagine is a red flag for him. Perhaps that's my bias showing though?

Watson or Kaaya I can absolutely see Pace going for. Watson I could get on board with, even at #3, Kaaya I kept trying to talk myself around to but I just don't like anything I see.

Hematite
Player of the Month

I could see Pace drafting Watson if a trade down develops but not at 3. Personally, I like Mahommes the most but am usually wildly off on QB's so who knows. Trubisky scares me as there just isn't enough tape to evaluate him. Although his name hasn't been brought up lately, I can see the Bears being interested in Nathan Peterman in the 4th if he's still available.
Funkster
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:I think Watson is much more like Mariota and we know Pace wanted Mariota back in 2015. Everything Pace and Fox have said about what they look for in a QB - Watson has fit the description. If Watson is available at 3, I really wouldn't be surprised if he were the pick.
I agree. However, if I put on my GM hat, I can also see Pace being worried about Watson's longevity. He seems like he wants a QB that will start for 10 years without a hiccup. I just don't see Watson having a long career. If this guy protected himself better, I believe Pace would be all over him at 3.

malk wrote: I don't see Mitchy Biscuits as a Pace guy, just the one year of starting I'd imagine is a red flag for him. Perhaps that's my bias showing though?

Watson or Kaaya I can absolutely see Pace going for. Watson I could get on board with, even at #3, Kaaya I kept trying to talk myself around to but I just don't like anything I see.
No, I think you're on the right page regarding Biscuit. I just don't think he has enough experience. And if you throw any of Foxy's input into the mix, experience goes along way with him. Kaaya makes a lot of paper scenes given the Bears situation and would be a good start for the bears grooming a young QB.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Gil Brandt's top 150

112. Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami

If selected at 112, that would put him in the 4th round... or a day 3 prospect...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... aft-101150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote:Gil Brandt's top 150

If selected at 112, that would put him in the 4th round... or a day 3 prospect...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... aft-101150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QB's outside of the top 2-3 rated prospects tend to go a full round or more than they rightfully should
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:

QB's outside of the top 2-3 rated prospects tend to go a full round or more than they rightfully should
Oh I know, just felt like putting this here to try and trigger ole Alex Wilkins, seeing as how bent out of shape he gets over anyone calling Kaaya a 3rd day prospect...
wab
Mod

Oh he is...
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

Oh I know, just felt like putting this here to try and trigger ole Alex Wilkins, seeing as how bent out of shape he gets over anyone calling Kaaya a 3rd day prospect...
Gil Brandt is 1,000 years old. I don't give a goddamn what he has to say. Let me guess, he has "Dink and dunk" Peterman ahead of Kaaya? Also, prospect rankings have nothing to do with where they'll get drafted. You have to look at team needs, who TEAMS like. Brad Kaaya is a first-fucking-round talent. Not getting me started, tho. Nice try. ;)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

Gil Brandt is 1,000 years old. I don't give a goddamn what he has to say. Let me guess, he has "Dink and dunk" Peterman ahead of Kaaya? Also, prospect rankings have nothing to do with where they'll get drafted. You have to look at team needs, who TEAMS like. Brad Kaaya is a first-fucking-round talent. Not getting me started, tho. Nice try. ;)
Lawl... you call out Peterman for dink and dunk and act as if Kaaya has much more arm strength lol... they both threw the ball 53 MPH... so Kaaya is just as much dink and dunk as Peterman... lolol so have fun watching Kaaya's name get called on day 3...
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

Lawl... you call out Peterman for dink and dunk and act as if Kaaya has much more arm strength lol... they both threw the ball 53 MPH... so Kaaya is just as much dink and dunk as Peterman... lolol so have fun watching Kaaya's name get called on day 3...
Good, it only helps the Bears if they get him at a better value.
G08
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's forgotten more about football than you'll ever know.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

BamaBear09 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

Kaaya better translates his strength to accuracy than Nathan. Also, look up Philip Dorsett's Miami tape and tell me Kaaya can't drop dimes like the best of them.
Adipost
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

Kaaya better translates his strength to accuracy than Nathan. Also, look up Philip Dorsett's Miami tape and tell me Kaaya can't drop dimes like the best of them.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

Just make sure you tell everyone around you about Kaaya's dime dropping when you're watching him get picked... in the 5th round...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

alexwilkins wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:

Day 3 prospect, locked in now...