QB Prospect Discussion: Brad Kaaya, Miami

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

—A source in the Miami Hurricanes' coaching staff tipped me off to an interesting nugget: The Chicago Bears have been at the last two games and are asking about quarterback Brad Kaaya. A person close to Kaaya confirmed the news when asked and said he's already spoken with general manager Ryan Pace about the quarterback.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2675 ... es-to-know#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

Beat me to it.

I mean...I don't know a lot about the kid, but if the Bears turn their season into a 6-10/7-9 season, Kaaya would likely be the only QB in the mix around where they'd pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't like Kaaya at all as a first rounder. I don't even really like him as a second rounder but I suppose I'd deal.

I don't like his arm, I hate how unathletic he is, and I really don't like how he's been checking into bad plays this season. Dude just... isn't a good QB right now.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

Hate. Hate. Hate.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I only watched the va tech game but I never thought for one second he looked like an NFL qb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears should be looking hard at the top 6-7 QBs who might declare.
It would be grossly negligent if they weren't investigating Kaaya closely.

Good size, good stats, experienced, good scheme. Checks a lot of your key boxes.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

Footworks looks a bit lazy to my untrained eye, doesn't show great arm strength and seems to limit YAC with a bit of inaccuracy.

And that's from watching his highlights.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

More reports coming in today about Pace seemingly targeting Kaaya.

http://nfltraderumors.co/bears-reported ... rad-kaaya/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt Miller of B/R reports that the Bears are already planning for the future and doing “extensive research” on Miami QB Brad Kaaya.

According to Miller, the Bears have been to multiple Miami games and have been in contact with sources close to the quarterback.
Miller mentioned last week that a person close to Kaaya said he’s already spoken to GM Ryan Pace.
Recent reports have said that Jay Cutler‘s poor performance only adds to the belief that the Bears will cut him loose after the season, which should come as no surprise, considering that he’s failed to live up to expectations since they traded for him several years ago and later signed him to a big-money contract.

As of now, the Bears would hold the No. 4 overall pick, which should leave them in a good position to grab a quarterback in round one. However, there has been some question as to whether any of the quarterback prospects in next year’s draft class would be worth using a high first-round pick on.

Clemson’s DeShaun Watson, Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, and UNC’s Mitch Trubisky have all come up as potential first-round options along with Kaaya.

During his college career, Kaaya has thrown for 9,004 yards while completing 60.3 percent of his passes to go along with 61 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. He’s posted a passer rating of 144.5 during his three years at Miami.

We’ll have more regarding the Bears’ quarterback options as the news is available.
G08
Hall of Famer

I just don't fucking like him.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:I just don't fucking like him.
Well, he's going to be a Bear in late April, so better just get used to it.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
If he's a 2nd round pick I suppose I'll find a way to deal, but if we take him in the first round I'm just done with this team.

This is all assuming that Kaaya declares.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:
If he's a 2nd round pick I suppose I'll find a way to deal, but if we take him in the first round I'm just done with this team.

My thinking is that Bears already have their hearts set on another position with their inevitable top 5 pick and will look to either move up for Kaaya late in the 1st or take him early in the 2nd.
malk
Head Coach

Don't like his TD to INT ratio or that completion percentage.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:

My thinking is that Bears already have their hearts set on another position with their inevitable top 5 pick and will look to either move up for Kaaya late in the 1st or take him early in the 2nd.
If you get me Jonathan Allen in round one, you could draft UrlachersOranjKleats for all I care in round 2!

In all honesty, though, if Brad Kaaya really is a target then that tells me they want a short-to-intermediate passing game that gets the ball out quickly with the occasional deep shot sprinkled in. This dude has terrible feet/mobility so you won't be getting him on the edge and you can't expect him to extend plays a la Aaron Rodgers. It's safe, I suppose, and you can see if the kid will grow along with the system as time goes on.

I don't like that kind of football, I think it's boring and it's not the way the NFL is moving, but whatever.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I understand the "could be a better pro then collegiate player" aspect with Kaaya. That offense is not good especially the line. However I don't find him impressive from what I have seen.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I watched some of his highlights and every pass against Pitt from what could tell. I'm not sure he scans the field outside 2nd read. Dumps off a lot (hoyer). Has good midranged throw ability. His long out throws scare me. Looked like had ok deep ball but accuracy not sure.
G08
Hall of Famer

I watched all of his ND game and his Virginia game. He's just not good, he's almost robotic in his mechanics, he's very limited athletically, and he misses his deep throws fairly consistently. If you're into the short/intermediate passing game, 5 step drops and the ball is out right as your back foot hits, then I think he'll be okay.

I just don't think you win with that type of QB play.

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I watched all of his ND game and his Virginia game. He's just not good, he's almost robotic in his mechanics, he's very limited athletically, and he misses his deep throws fairly consistently. If you're into the short/intermediate passing game, 5 step drops and the ball is out right as your back foot hits, then I think he'll be okay.

I just don't think you win with that type of QB play.
I hope he isn't the 1st QB that Pace takes. If we're talking 2nd round is rather take a Rudolph, Mahomes, Falk or maybe a 1st rounder drops. Who knows maybe it's a smokescreen too. He's never really tipped his hand before not sure he'd do it now.
malk
Head Coach

Rudolph, Trubisky or Mahomes would do nicely for me and I want to see Connor Shaw back too. None with our first rounder though, either after a decent trade down or our 2nd (maybe back up to the 1st...).

Not sure where I see Jonathan Allen in our defence G08?

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Rudolph, Trubisky or Mahomes would do nicely for me and I want to see Connor Shaw back too. None with our first rounder though, either after a decent trade down or our 2nd (maybe back up to the 1st...).

5-technique all day and I let Jonathan Bullard stay fresh and bring him in whenever Hicks or Allen needs a blow. The front 7 makes Fangio's scheme go, and if you can get pressure with your 5-techniques (think McDonald and Justin Smith in San Francisco) it will make McPhee and Floyd that much more dangerous.

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
malk wrote:Rudolph, Trubisky or Mahomes would do nicely for me and I want to see Connor Shaw back too. None with our first rounder though, either after a decent trade down or our 2nd (maybe back up to the 1st...).

5-technique all day and I let Jonathan Bullard stay fresh and bring him in whenever Hicks or Allen needs a blow. The front 7 makes Fangio's scheme go, and if you can get pressure with your 5-techniques (think McDonald and Justin Smith in San Francisco) it will make McPhee and Floyd that much more dangerous.
I haven't watched him so presumed he'd be a 4-3 end. Of course you're right for our scheme and so, let's get it done!

karhu
Head Coach

Yeah, Allen's an elite prospect. You get a chance at one of those guys, you take him and figure out the rest later. I love Bullard's potential, but in a Hicks-Goldman-Allen line, he's a backup deluxe who can spell either end or push Hicks to NT when Goldman needs a breather.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.thesportsbank.net/nfl-mock-d ... nfl-draft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

Thank God.

mshu7
Pro Bowler

YES!!!

Whatever keeps him out of Chicago...
-Shu
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Probably every non-SR QB, with the possible exception of Kizer, ought to go back another year.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:Probably every non-SR QB, with the possible exception of Kizer, ought to go back another year.
A weakish class means I'd declare early if I had some hype, there's always someone who will bite for a QB!

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Nope. Mans looked pretty fuckin' sharp against West Virginia. All aboard!!!
IotaNet
MVP

Nope -- he's coming out ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

IotaNet wrote:Nope -- he's coming out ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shit