Bears will pick 3rd in 2017 NFL Draft

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
G08 wrote:No cheating... any guesses what QB this is?
Benefits from an offense that is predicated on simplified reads. Offense able to create wide-open receivers after busted coverages at times. Needs to improve resetting feet when maneuvering pocket to improve accuracy and power. Tends to "see" pass rush too often. Will drop eyes and look to escape pocket rather than stepping to available pocket space. Frequent trips outside pocket increase opportunity for injury. Pocket feel is very average. Stepped into sacks he had no business taking. Didn't have to throw to tight windows often. Average processor on field. Still learning when to get rid of the ball and move to next play. Slow to make anticipatory throws and can improve patience in allowing combo routes to mature rather than rushing the read. Missed obvious pre-snap blitzes. Drive accuracy needs work. When cutting it loose, ball tends to sail on him a bit. Arm strength is adequate but inconsistent to field side. Needs to bring hips through throws to increase zip into tight windows in NFL. Fumbled 27 times during his career.
Is this from this year's draft class?
Marcus Mariota. I remember the fuss about his 27 fumbles.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
Benefits from an offense that is predicated on simplified reads. Offense able to create wide-open receivers after busted coverages at times. Needs to improve resetting feet when maneuvering pocket to improve accuracy and power. Tends to "see" pass rush too often. Will drop eyes and look to escape pocket rather than stepping to available pocket space. Frequent trips outside pocket increase opportunity for injury. Pocket feel is very average. Stepped into sacks he had no business taking. Didn't have to throw to tight windows often. Average processor on field. Still learning when to get rid of the ball and move to next play. Slow to make anticipatory throws and can improve patience in allowing combo routes to mature rather than rushing the read. Missed obvious pre-snap blitzes. Drive accuracy needs work. When cutting it loose, ball tends to sail on him a bit. Arm strength is adequate but inconsistent to field side. Needs to bring hips through throws to increase zip into tight windows in NFL. Fumbled 27 times during his career.
Seriously.

Every fucking time :lol:

You're not allowed to partake in these anymore!! :rofl:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
UOK
Site Admin

I don't like the scouting report game. It takes obviously pre-NFL career evaluation and puts it in the context of comparing it other guys who haven't played an NFL game yet. I dunno. I get it, I really do, but it feels like a fruitless form of evaluation.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
Seriously.

Every fucking time :lol:

You're not allowed to partake in these anymore!! :rofl:
Ok ok ok... I'll wait at least until someone makes a guess next time.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I don't like the scouting report game. It takes obviously pre-NFL career evaluation and puts it in the context of comparing it other guys who haven't played an NFL game yet. I dunno. I get it, I really do, but it feels like a fruitless form of evaluation.
Well, the underlying point is that this is what was being said about the #2 overall pick from the 2015 draft, whom our GM apparently coveted, and you can see how that player is performing in the NFL now.

Does that mean similar players in this draft will have the same success? Of course not... but it also doesn't mean that they won't.
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McShay's latest mock has Bears taking Allen.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

UOK wrote:

Not a fan of Allen at 3 - hope it doesn't happen in real life.
Never Die Easy
ysleblanc
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:
UOK wrote:

Not a fan of Allen at 3 - hope it doesn't happen in real life.

Yeah, not that he is bad player, but he doesn't strike me as an impact player.

I'd take a QB or one of the top safeties by potentially trading back.
malk
Head Coach

Just out of interest, does anyone else think that Mason Rudolf would have been the 1st QB taken if he'd declared?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

malk wrote:Just out of interest, does anyone else think that Mason Rudolf would have been the 1st QB taken if he'd declared?
I think so, but I've been a Rudolph homer for a while now.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Just out of interest, does anyone else think that Mason Rudolf would have been the 1st QB taken if he'd declared?
No, not at all.

Before he chose to stay, he was R2-3 and falling.
Biggs was reporting teams not high on him.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

'taken' meaning clubbed over the head and dragged by wab into his bedroom?

Absolutely :lol:
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
'taken' meaning clubbed over the head and dragged by wab into his bedroom?

Absolutely :lol:
I would prefer he consent. But...
UOK
Site Admin

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... n-on-espn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESPN’s Super Bowl-winning coach and Monday Night Football analyst discusses each of the quarterbacks who will be part of his eighth Gruden’s QB Camp:

On Dobbs: “Dobbs is a dual threat. He’s from a no-huddle offense. He can really create plays with his legs. He played some of his best football when the team was behind and when the game was on the line. He brought the Volunteers back to win from double-digit deficits more than any guy in the country. He’s a great kid, very intelligent, and I think he caught peoples’ attention at the Senior Bowl.”

On Kaaya: “Kaaya is interesting. The Hurricanes combine the I-formation with the college spread system, and he’s an accurate passer. He got hit a lot this year, but when he has protection, he can throw the football. He relies on timing and he’s going to be a pocket-passer for someone who really wants to accentuate that.”

On Kizer: “Kizer is an underclassman like a lot of these guys. He has perhaps the biggest arm in this draft. He can really throw the football. Notre Dame had a difficult season and I am a little bit surprised that Kizer is coming out, but he can do some damage with his arm and he has some athleticism.”

On Mahomes: “Another underclassman, Mahomes is the guy who has really popped off the film for me. He’s very athletic – a baseball player. They throw it every single play at Texas Tech. He can get rid of the ball from awkward positions with a lot on it. He’s a gunslinger.”

On Peterman: “Peterman is a transfer from Tennessee. Coach (Pat) Narduzzi at Pitt recruited Kirk Cousins to Michigan State and I heard he compares Peterman to Cousins. He’s a pocket-passer. They run a very creative offense at Pitt and this is the one guy who beat Clemson – and they did it on the road. He’s one of the most improved quarterbacks in the country this year.”

On Trubisky: “Trubisky is a lot more athletic than people think. He can run for first downs and touchdowns. If you look at him on tape, he displays some real courage. He’s stay in the pocket under intense fire and throws strikes. I just wish I had more film of him. He’s had just one year of work, but I am impressed with him.”

On Watson: “Watson has the best resume of anyone. He has an unbelievable amount of production and an impressive record – 32 wins in three years as a starter. He shredded some of the best teams in the country. He’s a dual threat with loads of intangibles. I am really looking forward to working with him to see how he spins it.”

On the overall 2017 QB Camp class: “There’s some unknowns this year, but this class starts with Deshaun Watson. His body of work is as impressive as any quarterback we’ve had come through QB Camp. I got the chance to see him live and I think he has a ton of ability. There are some underclassmen coming out who have questions that need to be answered. That’s why this process is exciting. But three or four years from now, I expect people will be saying this is a pretty good quarterback class.”
G08
Hall of Famer

I love watching Gruden's QB Camps... absolutely love it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

On the overall 2017 QB Camp class: “There’s some unknowns this year, but this class starts with Deshaun Watson. His body of work is as impressive as any quarterback we’ve had come through QB Camp. I got the chance to see him live and I think he has a ton of ability. There are some underclassmen coming out who have questions that need to be answered. That’s why this process is exciting. But three or four years from now, I expect people will be saying this is a pretty good quarterback class.”
and it won't surprise me a bit if that last bit holds true

all of these guys have some legitimate talent, but there are a lot of questions ... and you never know who will be able to progress and who ends up playing themselves out of football ... this class more than any I can recall in the past seems to be underwhelming everyone ... but I think all can answer the bell eventually

so I'm on board with Gruden's scenario ... I say in 3-4 years, all 7 of these guys will be starting for someone in the NFL and being fully competent with their responsibilities
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:

all of these guys have some legitimate talent, but there are a lot of questions ... and you never know who will be able to progress and who ends up playing themselves out of football ... this class more than any I can recall in the past seems to be underwhelming everyone ... but I think all can answer the bell eventually

so I'm on board with Gruden's scenario ... I say in 3-4 years, all 7 of these guys will be starting for someone in the NFL and being fully competent with their responsibilities
The NFL better hope so at least...within 3-4 years, Cutler, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Palmer, Manning, Brees, and possible Rodgers will all be out of the league. And a few of the go to back ups will be out as well like McCown, Fitzmagic etc. If this and the next class doesn't pan out, offense league wide is going to experience a down turn and the running game will become more prevalent.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:

Well...it's possible.

But you also have to keep in mind that Gruden isn't saying this as an unbiased expert analyst.
He's saying it as the pimp who's getting good money from these guys and needs to sell them all as part of what they pay him for.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

Well...it's possible.

But you also have to keep in mind that Gruden isn't saying this as an unbiased expert analyst.
He's saying it as the pimp who's getting good money from these guys and needs to sell them all as part of what they pay him for.

even as a paid pimp, Gruden generally has a better clue than most all of the other talking heads

I hate Gruden as a game announcer, but I respect his player eval abilities
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-combine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Williams won't run the 40.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK you are in rare twitter form today :lol:
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:UOK you are in rare twitter form today :lol:

Lot of buffoon Irish fans who are happily throwing Kelly & all the ND receivers under the bus, because it's obviously not Kizer's fault they couldn't catch a ball underthrown by 3 yards.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:

Lot of buffoon Irish fans who are happily throwing Kelly & all the ND receivers under the bus, because it's obviously not Kizer's fault they couldn't catch a ball underthrown by 3 yards.
I can always count on you to throw a shot at Kizer
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:

Well, fuck Kizer. I'm taking on all these gold helmet wearing idiots who would rather lose with an Irish at QB than win with someone else.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:

Well, fuck Kizer. I'm taking on all these gold helmet wearing idiots who would rather lose with an Irish at QB than win with someone else.
Present company excluded of course.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:

Present company excluded of course.
You're my guy. You like ND and hate Kizer.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote:

Well he definitely kept that streak alive at the combine as ALL his deep throws caused the WR to slow up to catch them...
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
UOK wrote:

Well he definitely kept that streak alive at the combine as ALL his deep throws caused the WR to slow up to catch them...
Yeah I noticed that too in the highlight reel. Thought Kizer had a cannon arm?
G08
Hall of Famer

Kizer has a cannon for sure, accuracy is his bugaboo.
wab
Mod

If I see one more mock draft with the Bears taking Allen even AFTER his injury concerns were verified.