Bears will pick 3rd in 2017 NFL Draft

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:Kizer has a cannon for sure, accuracy is his bugaboo.
Processing and timing were off bad... add on top his placement, he is going to need a lot of work to succeed at the next level. If he ends up in Zona, I think he could thrive but if he ends up in a WCO system, he won't be around very long.
UOK
Site Admin

@ArifHasanNFL
9s
Below 55 is supposed to be #bad so that's pretty interesting re: Watson
Dane Brugler @dpbrugler
Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine:

60 - Mahomes
59 - Webb
56 - Kizer
55 - Trubisky, Evans
53 - Peterman, Kaaya
49 - Watson
malk
Head Coach

Is that a set test into a speed gun or measurements based on general throws they made?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

He wasn't rifling balls, though. When Watson is focused upon accuracy, his velocity tends to go down. He can rip it when he wants, I've seen it.

Glennon had a 49 at the combine as well, and that dude has a rifle.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

W/ the trade they just made, the Saints now have the 11th and 32nd overall pick in the draft. I think Bears would happily do 3 for 11+32 (along with some other pieces) to move back. I have no idea who the Saints would covet enough to move that high, however.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:W/ the trade they just made, the Saints now have the 11th and 32nd overall pick in the draft. I think Bears would happily do 3 for 11+32 (along with some other pieces) to move back. I have no idea who the Saints would covet enough to move that high, however.
The problem is that after Garrett, most players are ranked similarly from 3 to 33.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:W/ the trade they just made, the Saints now have the 11th and 32nd overall pick in the draft. I think Bears would happily do 3 for 11+32 (along with some other pieces) to move back. I have no idea who the Saints would covet enough to move that high, however.
The problem is that after Garrett, most players are ranked similarly from 3 to 33.
Basically this. It's like the worst possible year to have a shitty record and naturally the Bears have that kind of luck.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
Basically this. It's like the worst possible year to have a shitty record and naturally the Bears have that kind of luck.
That's why I worry about taking someone like Thomas. In any other year, he's probably going to go somewhere between 10-20.

I know people compare him to JJ Watt, but I just don't see it.
G08
Hall of Famer

I see more of an Aaron Donald in Solomon Thomas than I see Watt... JJ is a freaking monster.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
USSGlennon
Rookie

I don't think Foxy is gonna reach for a QB using the #3 pick in this draft. And these guys are all reaches this early. He's way smarter than that...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

USSGlennon wrote:I don't think Foxy is gonna reach for a QB using the #3 pick in this draft. And these guys are all reaches this early. He's way smarter than that...
If all of them are reaches early and there's no way to trade down, then I say reach for a QB like Watson. At least reach at a position that can potentially give you the most return on your investment.
Never Die Easy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:
USSGlennon wrote:I don't think Foxy is gonna reach for a QB using the #3 pick in this draft. And these guys are all reaches this early. He's way smarter than that...
If all of them are reaches early and there's no way to trade down, then I say reach for a QB like Watson. At least reach at a position that can potentially give you the most return on your investment.
That would be Mahomes then. Watson is simply the safe choice, but with Glennon set up for this year, you at least give Mahomes a year to learn and develop
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Why aren't we talking more about Marshon Lattimore potentially being the pick at #3?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Why aren't we talking more about Marshon Lattimore potentially being the pick at #3?
Because the Bears have 12 defensive backs and Lattimore is gimpy.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Why aren't we talking more about Marshon Lattimore potentially being the pick at #3?
The only CB I really liked in the top 10 was Sidney Jones.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have mentioned it, and it'd been poo poohed quickly. I wouldn't count him out.
Middleguard
MVP

In several other threads, posters have expressed their opinion that the Bears would be best served by trading out of #3. Often they have been challenged by opinions that no other team would offer anything worthwhile to complete the trade. But I am unaware of any discussion of possible trade scenarios.

I would like to provoke discussion by suggesting a scenario myself, but I can't find anything likely. I've seen Fournette mocked at #4. Is it possible that the Panthers could be persuaded to move up from #8 by not demanding demanding full draft chart compensation?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Or maybe there's a particular CB or TE you love most? I expect a few of them to be drafted 4-10 so the teams in the teens are looking at the third best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

here's the 2016 1st round salary projections
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelze ... 1139116b8a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and what joey bosa is making over his four year contract, fwiw
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles- ... osa-18951/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UOK
Site Admin

https://theringer.com/ringer-2017-nfl-m ... 5191858e6c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So THIS isn't somebody I've seen the Bears take.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:https://theringer.com/ringer-2017-nfl-m ... 5191858e6c

So THIS isn't somebody I've seen the Bears take.
I've seen him go to the Bears in a few mocks in the 2nd. But 3rd...no. That's just being different for the sake of being different.
UOK
Site Admin

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout
“If you believe the Bears want a QB (at 3), I got a bridge in Arizona for you” - An NFL executive to me today
G08
Hall of Famer

One dude says we are in love with Watson, another dude says no interest at all at QB.

I'm officially at my wit's end. Next Thursday can't get here soon enough.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Matt Miller @nfldraftscout
“If you believe the Bears want a QB (at 3), I got a bridge in Arizona for you” - An NFL executive to me today
Key point (at 3). That was out in for a reason.
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aaron Leming kept a list of players the Bears visited with or worked out by position.
karhu
Head Coach

Then again, London Bridge is in Lake Havasu City.

Millering!
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
malk
Head Coach

karhu wrote:

Millering!
I love the old wife's tale that they thought they were buying Tower Bridge! Mind you, Fergie definitely doesn't know the difference...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

karhu
Head Coach

malk wrote:
karhu wrote:

Millering!
I love the old wife's tale that they thought they were buying Tower Bridge! Mind you, Fergie definitely doesn't know the difference...
Ha! Never heard that, but it makes sense. Then again, the London Bridge that got sent to Arizona was a simple, straightforward Isambard Kingdom Brunel joint, right? Whatever replaced the older, cooler, house-crowded one.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
malk
Head Coach

karhu wrote:
malk wrote:
karhu wrote:

Millering!
Ha! Never heard that, but it makes sense. Then again, the London Bridge that got sent to Arizona was a simple, straightforward Isambard Kingdom Brunel joint, right? Whatever replaced the older, cooler, house-crowded one.
It was a little before Brunel's time, designed by Rennie. Pretty standard masonry bridge from the time. From a quick check, the Arizona one is a reinforced concrete structure clad in the old London Bridge stone.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so here we are, almost at draft day, and I still have no idea whatsoever what the Bears may be doing

we can all usually get a general sense even if we don't get the exact player, and usually long before the week of the draft ... this year, the alleged "signs and inside information" are all over the place

I guess we'll all find out together
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin