QB Prospect Discussion: Deshaun Watson, Clemson

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote: God damnit Iota... don't pull me back into my Watson at #3 obsession again :lol:
I can feel the conflict within you, let go of your DOUBTS! :evilgrin:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The goal IMO is to get three starters and two backups... it doesn't matter how
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

How do you not love this kid...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's great. He's going to give it everything he's got.

I just keep feeling like... it's worth taking a swing. God willing we're never drafting at #3 again in our lifetimes. It's like... fuck around and draft a QB at #3 in the draft. Just to do it.
xyt in the discord chats
Umbali
MVP

One thing you cant teach is clutch. He sure seems to thrive on the big stage. I am kinda leaning towards him.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm all in for Watson at 3. Just don't think the Bears are taking a QB in R1.
Never Die Easy
Adipost
MVP

IotaNet wrote:
Ryan Pace wrote:"I think you want a guy who has elevated his program," Pace said. "I know I've talked about this player a lot because he had a big impact on me. But I think about [Drew] Brees when he was at Purdue. He elevated that program. He took them to the Rose Bowl. I think that means something. I think that's something that we have to pay attention to."
John Fox wrote:Asked what he looks for in a quarterback, Fox said: "A guy that raises all boats as far as work ethic. When the horn goes off, he's not track shoes out of the building. We call it first-in, last-to-leave type of mentality. That raises all boats with your teammates. Successful teams I've been a part of had that intangible and that's something we're trying to build on."
I'm telling you - out of all the QB's in this draft, that sounds/feels like Watson to me.
Actions speak louder than words. Ryan Pace showed us what he values in a QB when he signed Mike Glennon to be the starting QB. An accurate pocket passer.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Except maybe he just signed the best available FA quarterback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Adipost
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:Except maybe he just signed the best available FA quarterback?

Nah, Pace has been targeting Glennon for a while now.
malk
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:Except maybe he just signed the best available FA quarterback?

Doesn't stop it being a bad move. There's absolutely no value in the deal.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I was just arguing that we may be reading too much into the signing. Pace needed to sign a guy, and he had limited options. So maybe he did the best he could. Adipost was talking like Pace sleeps in a mike Glennon jersey with the sweet sound of glennon college highlight vids playing on his Sonos

xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I was just arguing that we may be reading too much into the signing. Pace needed to sign a guy, and he had limited options. So maybe he did the best he could. Adipost was talking like Pace sleeps in a mike Glennon jersey with the sweet sound of glennon college highlight vids playing on his Sonos

yeah, a local new orleans paper mentions that his scouting office had a "high" grade on him and the internet runs with it. look at the 2013 qb class:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -disaster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's very possible that mike was their scouting department's top graded qb that year. it's also very possible that in context that doesnt really mean anything.
G08
Hall of Famer

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Lombardi talking about Watson from the 8:00 minute mark to the 13:00 minute mark.

malk
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:I was just arguing that we may be reading too much into the signing. Pace needed to sign a guy, and he had limited options. So maybe he did the best he could. Adipost was talking like Pace sleeps in a mike Glennon jersey with the sweet sound of glennon college highlight vids playing on his Sonos

I don't quite understand Pace needing to sign a guy being fulfilled by Glennon. Glennon is already under the cosh from the fans so he's got no leeway there. The only thing making him a viable starter right now is the implied value from his contract.

It's better that we can get away from this shitty deal sooner rather than being trapped but if we don't draft a QB high we're seeing two years of Longneck the Red regardless of how he plays.

I'll say it again. Signing mediocre players to expensive contracts is bad regardless of whether those contracts are market rate.

Does anyone want to give me an over/under on how many years before a top five paid QB wins a ring again?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

britbear
Player of the Month

Have a listen, if you haven't already, to the latest Bear Download podcast by Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer of the Trib. Available from the usual podcast sources or at http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
This week the guys talk through the Bears QB situation and make some very persuasive comments about why the Bears should go for Watson at #3. Rich points out that Pace and Fox are both on record as saying that they want a QB who elevates the program,and he doesn't think that guy is in the QB room yet. But he reckons Watson is that guy. He is a winner and both Rich and Dan seem to think his accuracy issues can be coached out of him.
For me the most telling point they made was - let's assume the Bears don't pick Watson (or Trubisky or Kizer for that matter) at #3, and then that guy goes on the become a star somewhere else. They said that would be catastrophic for the Bears organisation.
I have to say, I am really starting to get on board the Watson train. If they do pick him, that will be the marquee guy the fan base needs to pin their future hopes on. If they don't, you really have to wonder where this franchise is headed.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
IotaNet
MVP

britbear wrote:Have a listen, if you haven't already, to the latest Bear Download podcast by Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer of the Trib. Available from the usual podcast sources or at http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
This week the guys talk through the Bears QB situation and make some very persuasive comments about why the Bears should go for Watson at #3. Rich points out that Pace and Fox are both on record as saying that they want a QB who elevates the program,and he doesn't think that guy is in the QB room yet. But he reckons Watson is that guy. He is a winner and both Rich and Dan seem to think his accuracy issues can be coached out of him.
For me the most telling point they made was - let's assume the Bears don't pick Watson (or Trubisky or Kizer for that matter) at #3, and then that guy goes on the become a star somewhere else. They said that would be catastrophic for the Bears organisation.
I have to say, I am really starting to get on board the Watson train. If they do pick him, that will be the marquee guy the fan base needs to pin their future hopes on. If they don't, you really have to wonder where this franchise is headed.
Haven't listened to the podcast yet but the logic is spot on. I think that Glennon is a placeholder who can get the Bears to .500 or slightly above while Watson sits for a season to get ready for his NFL star-turn.

People keep mentioning Barkley or Hoyer as "should-have-been" placeholders but they both stunk and Pace can't afford another stinky season. OTOH, the fan base will accept 8-8/9-7 if the QB of the future is waiting in the wings and Glennon is just serviceable enough to get us there.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

Taking a QB with the 3rd pick in the draft and essentially making him the scout team QB for at least a year is how GM's get fired.
G08
Hall of Famer

My/our Watson pipe-dream is over, unless he somehow falls to us at pick #36.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i'm a nice guy, and i like you fellows ok, so i want you to know that when we take a qb in the first two rounds, i am absolutely not going to dig up all the times you said we werent going to.

scouts honor.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hey if we end up with one of Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes I will gladly eat crow.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Hey if we end up with one of Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes I will gladly eat crow.
Samsies.

It would completely confuse me based on the moves the Bears have made, and I'd be convinced that they don't have any semblance of a plan...but I'd happy join G08 in the eating of the crow.
IotaNet
MVP

britbear wrote:Have a listen, if you haven't already, to the latest Bear Download podcast by Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer of the Trib ...
I broke down and listened to the podcast. They make an excellent case for taking Watson. I especially liked the part where they challenged the notion of "Watson being a better value later in the first round." Like them, I say that if Watson is your guy -- the guy you think us your future -- you take him wherever you an get him.

This whole concept of "trade back, trade back, trade back" ... like you can wave a wand and magically somebody will hand you the trade of your your dreams.

The Bears don't need the QB of the future to start today ... they just need him to be visible and developing. Joe Montana couldn't take this team to the SB this year -- we need too many pieces. Draft Watson, let him develop, and when he's ready (and we have a few more pieces around him), send him out there.

- Colin Powell
UOK
Site Admin

https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-qu ... 0d45a52fa5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those wanting some Watson fap material.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-qu ... 0d45a52fa5

For those wanting some Watson fap material.
soooo, i'm going to take a wild guess that kizer isnt lombardi's top qb in this draft.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

hey im starting to like this lombardi guy:

Why They Did It:
Matt Barkley, QB, San Francisco 49ers (no terms released)

I know, I know. The end of the 2016 season wasn’t kind to Barkley. He made Jay Cutler look like a ball protector, giving the ball away 12 times in his final three Bears games. But there were also real flashes of good play in Barkley’s six starts. And since new 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan can bring out the best in quarterbacks, I actually like the move. Barkley needs the right scheme to succeed, and Shanahan’s fits him perfectly. Unless the Niners overpaid (and I doubt they did), they made a solid gamble on a young QB with potential. Could Barkley become a late bloomer like Rich Gannon or Trent Green? It’s worth the risk to find out.

https://theringer.com/why-nfl-teams-she ... e60519216b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Could Barkley become a late bloomer like Rich Gannon or Trent Green? It’s worth the risk to find out.
I would have preferred the Bears had been smart enough to take that risk to find out ... keep Barkley, draft the future with the #3 pick ... and I know I am not the only person here who had that thinking

I'm with Lombardi on Barkley, and I think he will be the just fine and will most likely beat out Hoyer for the 49ers starter job
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
Could Barkley become a late bloomer like Rich Gannon or Trent Green? It’s worth the risk to find out.
I would have preferred the Bears had been smart enough to take that risk to find out ... keep Barkley, draft the future with the #3 pick ... and I know I am not the only person here who had that thinking

I'm with Lombardi on Barkley, and I think he will be the just fine and will most likely beat out Hoyer for the 49ers starter job
You're not and I'm still salty about it!

wab
Mod

I would have preferred Hoyer/Barkley/Shaw/#3 pick...and letting the four of them fight it out in camp. I mean, that's basically what Shanny is doing. And he's the guy many around here wanted.

But hey. Mike Glennon, Mark Sanchez, Shaw, and some UDFA level pick taken about 3 rounds too high should do it.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Wildcard Charlie. Awesome.
ysleblanc
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

I would rather have Barkley on the roster than Sanchez.