QB Prospect Discussion: Deshaun Watson, Clemson

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to think we're going defense in round 1 and will just see what QB falls.

I hope it's Watson, but I'm not holding my breath.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I'm starting to think we're going defense in round 1 and will just see what QB falls.

its kind of an emotional rollercoaster
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm starting to think we're going defense in round 1 and will just see what QB falls.

its kind of an emotional rollercoaster
It's like this every off-season. I'm tinkering with the approach of "I don't care anymore, let's just see what the draft brings" but it takes away from too much fun of looking at players.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is not that I don't care, it is rather, surprise me. Don't follow a lot of college football and don't have time to get into the draft and the trappings of it, so when it comes to the pick, I am usually surprised and then start digging. Plus, the way this team has drafted in the first round over the years, not too exciting.
Funkster
MVP

I've compared these two before, Watson is RG3 minus the pure passing ability.

Even their measurements are very comparable.
RG3 - 6'2", 223, 9 1/2 hands
Watson - 6'2", 221, 9 6/8 hands
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

I would argue RG3 is the better athlete with a slightly stronger arm, but he's also a me-first pompous douche.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:I would argue RG3 is the better athlete with a slightly stronger arm, but he's also a me-first pompous douche.
Definitely heard rumors that he didn't go out of his way to endear himself to his teammates...
G08
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:
G08 wrote:I would argue RG3 is the better athlete with a slightly stronger arm, but he's also a me-first pompous douche.
Definitely heard rumors that he didn't go out of his way to endear himself to his teammates...
His teammates, he always knew where the cameras were, and he had the balls to go up to Mike Shanahan's office and tell him he's not going to run his plays and that they are going to do things his (RG3's) way. That takes a special type of asshole when you look at the rings that Shanahan has.

wab
Mod

RG3 is a better QB. Watson will be a better pro.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:RG3 is a better QB. Watson will be a better pro.
I'm enamored with his intangibles, his toughness, and his leadership.

I worry about his mechanics, his footwork, his ability to stand tall in the pocket and read NFL defenses (because he hasn't put any of that on his college tape).

So... how does Pace and Friends justify to themselves that he can succeed in each of those areas?

Funkster
MVP

I would say RG3 WAS better and that's my only fear with Watson. RG3 is not the dynamic player he was a few short years ago. QB's that play that style of football, at that size, don't last to long in the NFL.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
I would say RG3 WAS better and that's my only fear with Watson. RG3 is not the dynamic player he was a few short years ago. QB's that play that style of football, at that size, don't last to long in the NFL.
I don't think Watson and RG3 have similar styles. Watson stays in the pocket more. RG3 had trouble staying in the pocket and bailed out too soon and too often.

Most of Watson's runs were designed runs. He, by his own admission, considers himself a pocket passer first.

Also, as far as his size goes...he's literally the same exact size as:
Donovan McNabb
Dak Prescott
Andy Dalton
Jimmy Garoppolo
Matt Barkley
David Carr
Aaron Rodgers (height-wise anyway...Rodgers is 11lbs lighter)
Tony Romo
Kirk Cousins

Plus many many more.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
I don't think Watson and RG3 have similar styles. Watson stays in the pocket more. RG3 had trouble staying in the pocket and bailed out too soon and too often.

Most of Watson's runs were designed runs. He, by his own admission, considers himself a pocket passer first.

Donovan McNabb
Dak Prescott
Andy Dalton
Jimmy Garoppolo
Matt Barkley
David Carr
Tony Romo
Kirk Cousins

Plus many many more.
Are you trying to tell us height doesn't matter? That Super Bowls can be won by quarterbacks 6'2 and shorter?

"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
G08
Hall of Famer

If he can clean up that throwing motion and get it out quicker and show an understanding of reading NFL defenses, I pounce at #3.

wab
Mod

RING4CHI wrote:
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:

Donovan McNabb
Dak Prescott
Andy Dalton
Jimmy Garoppolo
Matt Barkley
David Carr
Tony Romo
Kirk Cousins

Plus many many more.
Are you trying to tell us height doesn't matter? That Super Bowls can be won by quarterbacks 6'2 and shorter?

You know I think there is a baseline when it comes to a height/weight/speed at a position.... but I think the QB position is a little different when it comes to that. It's not like having....say...a tiny left tackle (ahem). Because historically, tiny offensive tackles have a propensity to wear down and get hurt. That's not really a correlation when it comes to QB.

Historically, QB's 6'2 and up are right in the wheelhouse. There are exceptions obviously (Brees/Wilson).

Hell...everyone is clamoring over Connor Shaw being given a shot and that dude is 6ft.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

eh, just to be safe, fire up the old CRISPR machine and lets grab that dna from mike glennon's neck
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

RustyTrombone wrote:eh, just to be safe, fire up the old CRISPR machine and lets grab that dna from mike glennon's neck
Glennon would be 6'2 without that extra 4 inches of neck.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:

Donovan McNabb
Dak Prescott
Andy Dalton
Jimmy Garoppolo
Matt Barkley
David Carr
Tony Romo
Kirk Cousins

Plus many many more.
It's more so how each player carries their weight. Look at a pic of Watson and compare it to a pic of Mcnabb. Then look at a pic at RG3 and then compare to Watson, then tell me which looks more similar. I'm talking stature.
G08
Hall of Famer

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:It's more so how each player carries their weight. Look at a pic of Watson and compare it to a pic of Mcnabb. Then look at a pic at RG3 and then compare to Watson, then tell me which looks more similar. I'm talking stature.
In fairness, McNabb was listed at 220 but he was probably closer to 260.
G08
Hall of Famer

michael lombardi‏
@mlombardiNFL

Deshaun Watson is impressing every team with his knowledge of the offense his understanding of coverages and personnel and leadership skills

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:It's more so how each player carries their weight. Look at a pic of Watson and compare it to a pic of Mcnabb. Then look at a pic at RG3 and then compare to Watson, then tell me which looks more similar. I'm talking stature.
In fairness, McNabb was listed at 220 but he was probably closer to 260.
thank god he was always puking
UOK
Site Admin

The quarterback shaming of Deshaun Watson is real.

Despite a decorated career and a national championship title, NFL scouts are skeptical that Watson, who played at Gainesville High and Clemson, has what it take to be a successful pro quarterback.

“All the coaches that I’ve heard from want to know if I can change the protections, run the offense and recognize defensive coverages,” Watson said on Friday at the scouting combine. “Every team that I went to asked me those questions.

“I answered their questions and they were very impressed. They know I’m not just another quarterback running the spread offense. I’m a guy who can operate and make good decisions and recognized what the defense is trying to do.”

Recent spread quarterbacks like Jared Goff, Paxton Lynch, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel and Robert Griffin III made those same pronouncements, but have struggled in the NFL.

Watson’s interceptions are also alarming to NFL scouts. He sometimes threw passes into coverage and didn’t recognized when a defender was baiting him into a throw.

“I understand that was going to come up,” Watson said. “It happened. It’s something where they are obviously going to poke holes. If I was in their shoes, I’d poke holes, too.

“But I take full responsibility in all of that. Sometimes I make a bad throw and on one, two or three, it was a bad decision. Those are lessons that I learned and mistakes that I’ve corrected. I plan to move forward.”

Watson has been through his medical exams with the 32 teams and has starting interviewing with teams. He measured just under 6-foot-3 inches tall and weighed 221 pounds. More importantly, he passed the hands test when his hands were measured at 9 ¾ inches.

“The first thing I look at in recruiting (a quarterback) is what size hands does he have?,” Gil Brandt said, the former NFL executive turned broadcaster. “I don’t want to have a quarterback that has eight or seven inch hands. I want a quarterback that had 9 and ¾ inch or 10 inch hands.”

Watson and North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky are considered the top quarterbacks at the combine. Notre Dame’s Deshone Kizer, Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes, Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman and California’s Davis Webb are considered solid prospects.

“I tell you, Watson, from my perspective, I’m fascinated with the kid,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. “I’m not bullish on the quarterbacks this year because I don’t think any of them are ready day one. I think they all have different issues. But when you look at Deshaun Watson, I see a kid that went 28-2 in his last two years as a starter.”

Watson also played his best at Clemson in the big games.

“His two games of ‘15 and ‘16 against Alabama, put the tape on and watch the kid play,” Mayock said. “He’s a competitor. When the game’s on the line, he gets better. He does not shrink.”

Watson finished his storied career with a 32-3 record as a starter. He finished third in ACC history in total offense (12,094), behind only N.C. State’s Philip Rivers and former Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd. He passed for 10,163 yards and 90 career touchdowns and finished first in Clemson history in career completion percentage (.674), passing efficiency (157.5) and total offense per game (318.3).

Watson believes he’ll be just fine making the transition to the NFL.

“It depends on what the team wants,” Watson said. “That’s not really the goal, to be the No. 1 pick. I just want to be drafted. Hear my named called, pack up and go play.”

He’s heard the shaming of the rest of this quarterback class, too.

“If you ask the other quarterbacks in this draft class, it just going to make the documentary and stories in five to years even better when they start talking good about it,” Watson said. “It’s a motivation. It’s humbling. They can say what they want to say. That’s just opinion. It’s not fact. We haven’t step foot on a NFL field yet so they don’t know what’s going to happen.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/wats ... 0x8bTWKCK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Funkster
MVP

Watson is looking really good! His ball placement is on point.

He also looks much taller than 6'2 standing next to other QB's.
Adipost
MVP

Funkster wrote:Watson is looking really good! His ball placement is on point.

He also looks much taller than 6'2 standing next to other QB's.
Very impressive.
malk
Head Coach

He did look good.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

The only QB I'd be comfortable with at 3 would be Watson. If the Bears think highly of him and he's available - they shouldn't waste too much time running the card up to the commissioner. Then again, if they sign Glennon - I don't know if they spend the 3rd pick on a QB.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

I thought he was leading receivers beautifully, looked really good to me.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Deshaun Watson comes in as a Combine Winner

Winners and losers from the 2017 NFL scouting combine
Clemson QB Deshaun Watson — The feeling coming into combine week was that there probably wasn’t much Watson could do for himself that 3.5 years of starting, two national title games, one championship title and being a Heisman finalist weren’t going to do already. But Watson tested and interviewed with teams very well, perhaps even better than expected. When teams asked other players about the best or toughest player they ever faced, Watson was a frequent response. The feeling coming out of the week was that Watson’s floor as a player is even higher than it might have been. He’s almost certainly a first-round pick, and now the question comes with which team liked him the most.
he has very likely improved his stock and draft position with his efforts at the Scouting Combine ... if the Bears want him, it appears they'll need to spend that #3 pick to get him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin