QB Prospect Discussion: Deshaun Watson, Clemson

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Loggains runs the same system that Shanahan runs, which can be molded to a QB's style of play. Case in point would be how different the play calls were with Cutler at the helm compared to Hoyer/Barkley, RGIII compared to Cousins when he was coordinating Washington's offense, etc.

Give me the dynamic playmaker every single time.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Funkster
MVP

Which brings us back to he's dynamic because of his legs. Do you really think he will be able to throw caution to the wind like he does and run against NFL defenses at his size? How did that work out for RG3? Who was a far superior passer. I'll pass 1st, 2nd and 3rd on Watson. IMO, the bears will be right back where they are in 2 years drafting this QB.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm sure there will be some zone-read install for him, similar to Wilson early in his career, Kaepernick as well. Again, if you actually watched all his games you'd have a better understanding of how he runs and when it is utilized.

I'm more impressed with his ability to get out on the edge with speed yet still throw with accuracy.

Think Aaron Rodgers in that regard. I'm not advocating for RGIII's game and taking all those hits, so he can keep the 120 rushes/815 yards. I'm more intrigued by the 3200 yards passing, 20 TDs and 5 INTs. Let's start with that and build. If you look at just his career passing numbers in this offense, he completed 62.66% of his passes for 6403 yards (7.54 YPA), 36 TDs and 17 INTs. 91.5 rating.
Funkster
MVP

I can say I've watched a fair amount of his film. I went back and took a look at some of his older film as well. I think he was a better passer as a true freshman. The thing that stands out to me is he didn't progress much as a QB durning his time at Clemson. His eyes need a lot of help and doesn't have the best accuracy. And again, take away the design runs and the behind the LOS passes and I see your typical duel threat spread college level QB. I think picking him at 3 would be stretching like inspector gadget.
Last edited by Funkster on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:I can say I've watched a fair amount of his film. I went back and took a look at some of his older film as well. I think he was a better passer as a true freshman. The thing the stands out to me is he didn't progress much as a QB durning his time Clemson. His eyes need a lot of help and doesn't have the best accuracy. And again, take away the design runs and the behind the LOS passes and I see your typical duel threat spread college level QB. I think picking him at 3 would be stretching like inspector gadget.
I agree. I think watson is the overhyped college system QB that will greatly struggle to convert in the pro's with his tools and body size.
Adipost
MVP

Man, Watson has been getting crucified these last few weeks. I feel sorry for him.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Adipost wrote:Man, Watson has been getting crucified these last few weeks. I feel sorry for him.
??
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

I honestly can see arguments for and against Watson. I'd be a ton more confident in my belief in him if he was in a pro system in college -- there's no way in hell to know how he will translate to the NFL game.
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

I think this 2015 game against Florida State summarizes some of Watson's deficiencies. You see him miss wide open throws (focus on his front foot, specifically the stride and whether or not he follows through onto that foot) as well as leave the pocket a bit sooner than he needs to.

On the other hand, you'll see his arm strength, his play making ability, how the zone-read and his threat of running opens up simple slants and dump-off passes. You won't see any deep shots in this game.
G08
Hall of Famer

Watson interview starts at 1:53, talks about his training and his responsibilities in the Clemson offense

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:Watson interview starts at 1:53, talks about his training and his responsibilities in the Clemson offense

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good stuff!
G08
Hall of Famer

Some nice nuggets in there... I think Watson has missed his fair share of deep shots, but I've seen him drop plenty in the bucket as well. I really do think the overall accuracy knock on him is, uh, inaccurate.
Adipost
MVP

Daniel Jeremiah has Watson as the 1st QB taken in his new mock draft.
G08
Hall of Famer

Sean Payton talked about his admiration for Deshaun Watson, his admiration for Drew Brees, and about when it’s time to start looking to replace a Hall of Fame quarterback Friday on The Dan Patrick Show.

The topics weren’t exactly related, since they came up during different parts of the conversation. But they are linked in the sense that the Saints could be in a position to draft a quarterback like Watson with the 11th pick this year if they decide the time and the player are right.

Watson’s name came up while Payton was talking about living in the heart of SEC country, and Patrick asked him how much he watches college football and if he takes notice of guys like Watson, who led Clemson to the national championship this year.

“There’s something special about him, right?” said Payton, who had just happened to meet Watson for the first time about two minutes earlier while both were doing Super Bowl appearances in Houston. “And when you watch the game, it’s always interesting to hear him talk afterward. And I think he appears to have all those things that we’re looking for.”
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I might have the opportunity to go see Watson train next week in Orange County. I live in San Diego and I have a friend who's a trainer that has some connections with pro athletes. He mentioned that I could potentially attend a Watson training session because he knows how much I love the draft. I'll keep you guys in the loop if I'm able to go.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:I might have the opportunity to go see Watson train next week in Orange County. I live in San Diego and I have a friend who's a trainer that has some connections with pro athletes. He mentioned that I could potentially attend a Watson training session because he knows how much I love the draft. I'll keep you guys in the loop if I'm able to go.
Dude!

Take all the notes and if you can get video clips I'll gladly pay you :)
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote: Dude!

Dude, you need help :) :)
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:I might have the opportunity to go see Watson train next week in Orange County. I live in San Diego and I have a friend who's a trainer that has some connections with pro athletes. He mentioned that I could potentially attend a Watson training session because he knows how much I love the draft. I'll keep you guys in the loop if I'm able to go.
Dude!

Ha! I'll see what I can do. I would love to video tape the session but who knows if they'll let me. BTW, Jordan Palmer is the QB coach he's working with.
Never Die Easy
Adipost
MVP

Funkster wrote:

LMAO
Adipost
MVP

Watson vs. Garoppolo

[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:

I'm glad this is what you came up with after your edits ;)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:Watson vs. Garoppolo

[video][/video]

holy shit ... an actual segment where Stephen A Smith makes sense
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Why does scrambling and extending plays matter? Because in the clip below if Deshaun Watson didn't convert that first down, he would never have had the opportunity to make the tremendous throw for a TD on the very next play:

[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

3rd and 9, National Championship game... this throw is anticipation personified:

[video][/video]
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:3rd and 9, National Championship game... this throw is anticipation personified:

[video][/video]
Damn, that was nice.
malk
Head Coach

The interception later on is bad though! I just can't get on board with Watson even though I think we'll draft him. Seems to misread the field far too often.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Every QB that has ever played has thrown that interception. More than once.
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:The interception later on is bad though! I just can't get on board with Watson even though I think we'll draft him. Seems to misread the field far too often.
That INT was horrible.

I think he just read 24 and saw his RB beat him on the wheel route. 4 left the TE and just did a great job of reading the play.

Still... can't throw that ball.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:Every QB that has ever played has thrown that interception. More than once.
How many times has Watson thrown it in just a few years at college? That interception percentage petrifies me!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)