Top 10 QB Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

Mikefive wrote:When you talked about Mahomes, the gimmicky offense gets mentioned, but not with Trubisky. They both run fairly similar spread, all shotgun offenses and that's a fair criticism.

The one thing that really stuck out for me with Mahomes is that he's a VERY "smart on your feet" player. That doesn't seem to get mentioned for him, but I notice it and that's a hugely valuable trait in my book. The comment that "he looks like he's never been coached" is true with his delivery mechanics, but not with other facets of his play which DO reflect good coaching.
I did mention that when he's scrambling in and out of the pocket, he's always looking down field ready to fire. That is a very big plus. Also, as far as coaching goes, did you notice how when he runs it seems like he's always rushing with one hand on the ball just dangling it around?
EricTighe
MVP

My list is different.

1. Deshuan Watson- He is a leader and gamer. Been doing it for three years against some of the top competion in the country. By the way has been doing it with his arm not his legs. He is a pocket passer they may hold the ball a little to long at the begining of the game but if he is getting hit makes the adjustment at half time and quickens hs release. Just watch the two Alabama games the last two years. AT this point right now he is the only QB I would take in the first round. I am sure once Gruden gets this kid in the film room he is going to go goo-goo gaa gaa over him. Think of a More athletic, better arm yet less accurate Peyton Manning, Yes the accuracy concerns are legit but when the game is on the line this kid doesn't miss a flippin pass and does what ever it takes to win a game. That is stuff that is ungradeable and makes legends, LEGENDS.

Right now if available he is the #3 pick in this draft.

2. Pat Mahomes- I actually physically he is your prototypical QB in this draft. But by all records is going to take time to develope. But he has a track record that is more then one year long. Plus I believe he is another guy who is gonna jump out at yeah when you talk to him. Hell his daddy played pro baseball so he is acustom to the show.

If he is available and no QB takin in round 1 this is my pick in round 2.

3. Jerod Evans VT. I know he only played one year but he was named the starter after the first week he showed up on campus and practiced. Only reason he had a long route was due to tearing his ACL in 2013. Went to Trinity City College to re coup before transfering to VT where he was named the starter after one week of paractice. This kid may jump up the draft boards but as of right now he is a 2nd round pick for me if Mahomes goes in the first which may happen. Luv this kid he is a sleeper but luved watching him play was shocked to see him come out this early. If the pre draft work outs show his arm isn't what i think it is then he could drop down to 4th or 5th round cosideration. But form watching him on TV he ranks here right now.

4. Mitch Trubisky*, QB, North Carolina
THis is no knock on the kid. I just like Mahomes, Watson and Evans better. I had rated as a 2nd round pick early in the season and it has not changed as of yet. Just didn't see the Moxy that I saw in Watson. Not sure he if he is a starter in the NFL or not right now. Lots of questions around him and I watched games cuz he was on a sleeper list at the begining of the season so I watched. Nothing stood out though.

5. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss - Everything screams future NFL starter and possible pro bowl QB. Except he is a flippin arrogant, an idiot and pampass ass hole that deserves not to get drafted at all. Trust me I do not say those things about kids very often but his track record is what it is. If someone takes this kid and can babysit him maybe you get the real deal. Or maybe just maybe the light goes on and grows the F up. But with Manzel, McNown and others that this mark had been put on very few players over come the stigmatism that is there.

Undrafteable. But as a FA he could end up being a starter in this league if he grows up. Big if.

I don't have any other QB worth being a starter later. Though there are some guys who could suprise it looks like a weak year for QB in depth. This is why I believe Watson may go number 1 after all. Hi is in my opinion the only bonefide risk worth taking in the first round. To many questions everywhere else. But as workouts happen and the combine comes and goes we should get a better picture of what will happen and what won't.
wab
Mod

I thought I was the only one that liked Evans. I think he could rise to the 3rd round.
Adipost
MVP

EricTighe wrote:My list is different.

1. Deshuan Watson- He is a leader and gamer. Been doing it for three years against some of the top competion in the country. By the way has been doing it with his arm not his legs. He is a pocket passer they may hold the ball a little to long at the begining of the game but if he is getting hit makes the adjustment at half time and quickens hs release. Just watch the two Alabama games the last two years. AT this point right now he is the only QB I would take in the first round. I am sure once Gruden gets this kid in the film room he is going to go goo-goo gaa gaa over him. Think of a More athletic, better arm yet less accurate Peyton Manning, Yes the accuracy concerns are legit but when the game is on the line this kid doesn't miss a flippin pass and does what ever it takes to win a game. That is stuff that is ungradeable and makes legends, LEGENDS.

Right now if available he is the #3 pick in this draft.

2. Pat Mahomes- I actually physically he is your prototypical QB in this draft. But by all records is going to take time to develope. But he has a track record that is more then one year long. Plus I believe he is another guy who is gonna jump out at yeah when you talk to him. Hell his daddy played pro baseball so he is acustom to the show.

If he is available and no QB takin in round 1 this is my pick in round 2.

3. Jerod Evans VT. I know he only played one year but he was named the starter after the first week he showed up on campus and practiced. Only reason he had a long route was due to tearing his ACL in 2013. Went to Trinity City College to re coup before transfering to VT where he was named the starter after one week of paractice. This kid may jump up the draft boards but as of right now he is a 2nd round pick for me if Mahomes goes in the first which may happen. Luv this kid he is a sleeper but luved watching him play was shocked to see him come out this early. If the pre draft work outs show his arm isn't what i think it is then he could drop down to 4th or 5th round cosideration. But form watching him on TV he ranks here right now.

4. Mitch Trubisky*, QB, North Carolina
THis is no knock on the kid. I just like Mahomes, Watson and Evans better. I had rated as a 2nd round pick early in the season and it has not changed as of yet. Just didn't see the Moxy that I saw in Watson. Not sure he if he is a starter in the NFL or not right now. Lots of questions around him and I watched games cuz he was on a sleeper list at the begining of the season so I watched. Nothing stood out though.

5. Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss - Everything screams future NFL starter and possible pro bowl QB. Except he is a flippin arrogant, an idiot and pampass ass hole that deserves not to get drafted at all. Trust me I do not say those things about kids very often but his track record is what it is. If someone takes this kid and can babysit him maybe you get the real deal. Or maybe just maybe the light goes on and grows the F up. But with Manzel, McNown and others that this mark had been put on very few players over come the stigmatism that is there.

Undrafteable. But as a FA he could end up being a starter in this league if he grows up. Big if.

I don't have any other QB worth being a starter later. Though there are some guys who could suprise it looks like a weak year for QB in depth. This is why I believe Watson may go number 1 after all. Hi is in my opinion the only bonefide risk worth taking in the first round. To many questions everywhere else. But as workouts happen and the combine comes and goes we should get a better picture of what will happen and what won't.

I agree with Evans being a sleeper but I don't see Mahomes/Watson going in the 1st round.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think this draft is going to be pretty whacky

how many of those 10 names listed here are actually ready to play in the NFL? I see most all of them needing work before they can step in at QB in the NFL, and that to me means most all of them should not be considered in the first round

but to counter that, since there is no real must have QB on that list, many will be drafted higher than they deserve ... question is, will this draft go bonkers with teams scrambling to be the ones to overpay for a bunch of guys who would normally be 2nd and 3rd rounders? or will teams allow these guys to fall and there not be a first round frenzy for them?

another question - of those guys, who will be the next Prescott or Wentz? guys not expected to step in and rock and roll as rookies but who will?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Mason Rudolph not top 10 QB prospect material?
Never Die Easy
Adipost
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:Mason Rudolph not top 10 QB prospect material?
He's returning to college.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So this class will be win with meetings and coaches opinions. What QB demonstrates the best ability in meetings to understand NFL offenses, and which coaching staff thinks the mechanical flaws are correctable.

I would probably rate them something like....

Trubiski (late first)
Mahomes 2
Watson 2
Kizer 3
Kelly 3
Kaaya 3
Webb 4
Evans 4
Peterman 5
Dobbs 7
Adipost
MVP