QB Prospect Discussion: Nathan Peterman, PITT

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

He seems like he could be the guy if Pace is true to his BPA philosophy in rounds 1 and 2...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

malk wrote:He seems like he could be the guy if Pace is true to his BPA philosophy in rounds 1 and 2...
If Pace drafts Peterman to be "the guy", he will never get another job in the NFL again.
wab
Mod

I don't want anymore mid-late round hopefuls. I want a top 5 QB, risks be damned. A 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick isn't going benefit the Bears any more than keeping Cutler/Barkley/Shaw/Hoyer.

Shoot for the moon, if it doesn't work, I can't fault them for trying.
malk
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
malk wrote:He seems like he could be the guy if Pace is true to his BPA philosophy in rounds 1 and 2...
If Pace drafts Peterman to be "the guy", he will never get another job in the NFL again.
I didn't use the definite article.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:I don't want anymore mid-late round hopefuls. I want a top 5 QB, risks be damned. A 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick isn't going benefit the Bears any more than keeping Cutler/Barkley/Shaw/Hoyer.

With the rookie pay scale the risk of a first round QB pick has been reduced greatly.
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:I don't want anymore mid-late round hopefuls. I want a top 5 QB, risks be damned. A 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick isn't going benefit the Bears any more than keeping Cutler/Barkley/Shaw/Hoyer.

With the rookie pay scale the risk of a first round QB pick has been reduced greatly.
Agreed. And with the state of QB play in the NFL, the risk that the player will only be average is an acceptable one. Because a lot of teams would like to have simply an average QB right now. Missing on a top 10 QB used to set your team back years, now it's absolutely no different than missing on any other player. If he doesn't develop, you move on.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I agree and feel like the Bears are in a unique position this year drafting at #3. As much as I'm worried about the tough schedule next year, I'm still assuming we win 6 or 7 games and that means no top QB available until the NEXT time there's a complete meltdown of a season. We might as well take a shot this year at 3 and the next two years our first rounders (who will be more like #10 or #12) can be different types of playmakers while we see what happens with Watson/Trubisky.
Last edited by crueltyabc on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I agree and feel like the Bears are in a unique position this year drafting at #3. As much as I'm worried about the tough schedule next year, I'm still assuming we win 6 or 7 games and that means no top QB available until the NEXT time there's a complete meltdown of a season. We might as well take a shot this year at 3 and the next two years our first rounders can be different types of playmakers while we see what happens with Watson/Trubisky.
That's my take as well.

I'm going to dive back into Trubisky, I'm on Watson-burnout at this point with everything I've been reading/watching.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Peterman getting Dak Prescott comparisons.

Personally if the Bears don't get Watson or Mahomes, Peterson (or maybe Evans) would be the only other QBs I'd like them to consider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... t.amp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Peterman getting Dak Prescott comparisons.

Personally if the Bears don't get Watson or Mahomes, Peterson (or maybe Evans) would be the only other QBs I'd like them to consider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... t.amp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are my preferred top three (in that order) as well.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

I forgot I had a Senior Bowl practice recorded so I went back and focused on Peterman and he was the only QB that was actually interacting with Loggains. I'm talking after each practice rep he'd go back and have comments/thoughts and even ask if a WR ran a route incorrectly and you'd see Loggains' head snap up and he'd reply "yeah he was about 2 yards off". It was interesting to observe.

I don't know... they say coaches take a TON out of these interactions at the Senior Bowl and I could see Loggains pounding the table for this kid IF he really views him as a fit for his offense.

I don't love his college tape, but he's got a quick release, a decent arm, and he's more athletic than some give him credit for in draft circles. I'll maintain until I'm blue in the face that I want an elite, game-breaking QB... I just don't think that is what our franchise wants/deserves/knows how to develop or handle.

He's been called Derek Carr without the strong arm, and he's been called the next Kirk Cousins. Wouldn't shock me to see us take him or Kaaya in round 2 or 3.
Adipost
MVP

[video][/video]
wab
Mod

He's no Alex Tanney.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I forgot I had a Senior Bowl practice recorded so I went back and focused on Peterman and he was the only QB that was actually interacting with Loggains. I'm talking after each practice rep he'd go back and have comments/thoughts and even ask if a WR ran a route incorrectly and you'd see Loggains' head snap up and he'd reply "yeah he was about 2 yards off". It was interesting to observe.

I don't know... they say coaches take a TON out of these interactions at the Senior Bowl and I could see Loggains pounding the table for this kid IF he really views him as a fit for his offense.

I don't love his college tape, but he's got a quick release, a decent arm, and he's more athletic than some give him credit for in draft circles. I'll maintain until I'm blue in the face that I want an elite, game-breaking QB... I just don't think that is what our franchise wants/deserves/knows how to develop or handle.

He's been called Derek Carr without the strong arm, and he's been called the next Kirk Cousins. Wouldn't shock me to see us take him or Kaaya in round 2 or 3.
Yeah but Loggains got his last QB choice wrong. Good catch though.
Ditka4Prez08
Rookie

Personally, I think Bears draft Kaaya (pls god no). They've done a ton of work on him going all the way back to last year, they seem super intrigued by him (not sure why).
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So some of us need to go back and read about Peterman, and then watch the games. I think in a murky class people over look him. This might be my second favorite qb. He is really accurate, reads the field, etc. He just doesn't have a cannon.
wab
Mod

I like Watson (obvi), then Mahomes, then Peterman.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm good with Peterman in the second. I don't think he last until 3rd though.
Nanky
Journeyman

Honestly, I think he's our guy and we'll move up from the 3rd round into the top of the 2nd to grab him. He seems to fit what the Bears are looking for and have some experience with him at the Senior Bowl. That's my guess anyways.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

His Clemson tape definitely shows him "elevating his team", and the familiarity from the Senior Bowl makes it make sense from Pace's POV, and I happen to like him. His arm isn't great, but he can probably find some power for deep balls with technique... the way Brees does.

I'm with wab on the list Watson, Mahommes, Peterman.
xyt in the discord chats
Adipost
MVP

Peterman is a huge reach at #36 with several first round talents still on the board, but he will probably be gone by #67.
Nanky
Journeyman

I saw this pop up this morning. A good read on why the Bears may be targeting Peterman in the draft.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears ... l-suspects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:I saw this pop up this morning. A good read on why the Bears may be targeting Peterman in the draft.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears ... l-suspects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything that gets people off the ludicrous idea that kayaa is a foregone conclusion.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lets take a trip back to 2017
wab
Mod

I forgot how convinced I was that the Bears were taking this cat in the 2nd if they didn’t take Watson.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I went back and looked at my grades. I had him as the 4th best QB. Mahomes Trubisky Watson Peterman. The draft outlets had Trubisky #1 pretty much except PFF. They had it Mahomes Watson Trubisky then kelly and Dobbs. Really a QB class of 2 I guess
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:16 am lets take a trip back to 2017
G08 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 am I just don't like him... he's a more athletic Matt Barkley, with a better arm.

His best game was against Clemson and he barley completed 60% of this passes, I think 6 of them were shovels.
:wink: