If Garrett & Allen go 1st and 2nd, who do you want for #3?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Cager
Rookie

Hello everyone,

This is my second post and first topic. I don't recall the subject being discussed much over several forums, but if it has, mods please feel free to delete or merge.

My question to you folks on the forum is this:
If Garrett and Allen go in the first two picks, barring a trade, who do you want the Bears to go with?

Are they forced to pick the first QB off the board, or are there other talents there you would prefer?
BearDen
Journeyman

Watson or Trubisky and celebrate winning the draft.
wab
Mod

Watson.

But with the Niners taking back to back 3-4 defensive ends, I can't imagine they'd take a 3rd.
G08
Hall of Famer

I want Deshaun Watson with pick 3 unless Myles Garrett is sitting there.

I've got rounds 2-7 to add to my pass rushers and upgrade my secondary.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
BearDen
Journeyman

G08 wrote:I want Deshaun Watson with pick 3 unless Myles Garrett is sitting there.

This... even if Garrett IS sitting there.
Funkster
MVP

TRUBISKI!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Adipost
MVP

BearDen wrote:
G08 wrote:I want Deshaun Watson with pick 3 unless Myles Garrett is sitting there.

BearDen
Journeyman

Adipost wrote:
BearDen wrote:

This would be the first time the Bears ever had a chance to pick the first QB of a draft IIRC. Elite defenders are all well and good, but you don't get many chances like this.
UOK
Site Admin

dapianna
Journeyman

What the hell is it with you guys taking a QB AT 3??? No QB in this draft deserves to go in the first round, much less #3! Hooker or Adams or trade down.
dapianna
Journeyman

BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BearDen wrote:

This would be the first time the Bears ever had a chance to pick the first QB of a draft IIRC. Elite defenders are all well and good, but you don't get many chances like this.
A chance on a QB who only reads one side of the field and is terribly inaccurate? No way we can pass up on him right?
Funkster
MVP

BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BearDen wrote:

It sounds great, warm and fuzzy, I just wish the top QB talent was better. Of course the bears are in this position when the top QB's are Trubisky, Watson and Kizer. I don't like Watson's nor Kizer's style of play and they don't scream NFL QB's to me. I feel more like an old quote I once heard. "Let's say you're riding a motorcycle. A burst of flame comes out of the tail pipe. Where do you want that burst to go? Burn the tip of your peter really bad or burn your bum hole?" No matter where that burst of flame goes, it's not going to turn out so good. Which ever QB the bears pick, with the 3rd overall pick, it's not Luck, Newton, Manning, Roethlisberger, Ryan or even Tannehill talent.

That leaves me with Trubisky and he is very green but at least shows me the most NFL talent. Assuming at least Hoyer is retained, I would have to go with Triubisky and let him sit. IMO, his skill set transfers better to NFL prototypical pocket passer. Which is tried and true and long lasting.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

dapianna wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BearDen wrote:

A chance on a QB who only reads one side of the field and is terribly inaccurate? No way we can pass up on him right?
Do you have anything to back "terribly inaccurate" up?

6th in the nation in passes 20+ yards in the air, this past season (prior to the National Championship game) he was around 67% completions, and if you removed every WR/TE screen he was still around 63%, and that doesn't take into account the 20 or so drops from his targets.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I don't like any of the QB's in the top 5. Take Hooker at 3 and then trade back up into the 1st to grab Mahomes.
Never Die Easy
dapianna
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
dapianna wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BearDen wrote:

6th in the nation in passes 20+ yards in the air, this past season (prior to the National Championship game) he was around 67% completions, and if you removed every WR/TE screen he was still around 63%, and that doesn't take into account the 20 or so drops from his targets.
Have you watched any of his games? Watson can't throw near the sideline at all and over/underthrows all his deep routes. Don't look at the stats, instead watch as Watson overthrows a wide open Kevin White in the endzone by 10 yards. I remember a game where he overthrew easy 30-40 yard TDs and got picked off under-throwing a slant route where the receiver had so much space in front of him in the endzone. Hell even during the 1st half of the Championship Game he was atrocious. Overthrew a simple 10 yard out-route. Had me fucking dying of laughter. Just watch this: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

I just want everyone to know, that you are ruining the draft for me. It's like telling a 3 year old that there's no Santa Claus.
wab
Mod

Also I'm moving this to the War Room.
G08
Hall of Famer

dapianna wrote:
G08 wrote:
dapianna wrote:
BearDen wrote:
Adipost wrote:
BearDen wrote: This... even if Garrett IS sitting there.

Have you watched any of his games? Watson can't throw near the sideline at all and over/underthrows all his deep routes. Don't look at the stats, instead watch as Watson overthrows a wide open Kevin White in the endzone by 10 yards. I remember a game where he overthrew easy 30-40 yard TDs and got picked off under-throwing a slant route where the receiver had so much space in front of him in the endzone. Hell even during the 1st half of the Championship Game he was atrocious. Overthrew a simple 10 yard out-route. Had me fucking dying of laughter. Just watch this: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Every single one I could get my hands on, which as of right now is 20 games.

Have you?
wab
Mod

Watson can make any NFL throw, saying otherwise is just silly.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Watson can make any NFL throw, saying otherwise is just silly.
It's people that regurgitate what talking heads say on TV/draft websites, and then watching links like the one dapianna just posted. I was completely against taking him at 3 because that was the general consensus on him and I hadn't yet sunk my teeth into all his "tape". Once I watched all his games, I came away with an entirely new respect for him.

Watch the games for yourself, for every overthrow I can show you a dime that he dropped 35-40 yards downfield. Which is not to say Watson is perfect by any means, he has a lot to clean up in that department, but when I'm looking at QBs I'm looking at size, speed, arm strength, accuracy, and ability to make NFL throws (to name a few). In my course of his 20 games, I saw every single throw that I needed to see to think his game can translate to the NFL.

The biggest question is if he can play in an NFL offense and read NFL defenses. That's something none of us can ever know/project.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Watson can make any NFL throw, saying otherwise is just silly.
It's people that regurgitate what talking heads say on TV/draft websites, and then watching links like the one dapianna just posted.
Says the guy who regularly post "highlight reel" clips to make a case for the QB that makes him "giddy" this week :)
G08
Hall of Famer

If you'd like, I can post every single video I watch here, might help you to get informed :)

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/deshaun-watson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here's a good place to start
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:If you'd like, I can post every single video I watch here, might help you to get informed :)

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/deshaun-watson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here's a good place to start
As someone who has gotten paid to evaluate talent, no thanks. I don't need 20 games to know what I'm looking at. Film break down is why I got out of that game, it consumes life. Plus it was way more rewarding taking young players that have been told they can't play the position and helping them achieve scholarship through actual field work.
G08
Hall of Famer

Is that why you like Brian Hoyer so much?

Hey, feel free to not watch any of these guys and then make snide comments to the people that do :thumbsup:
wab
Mod

I coached JFL too :)
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:Is that why you like Brian Hoyer so much?

Hey, feel free to not watch any of these guys and then make snide comments to the people that do :thumbsup:
Says the guy that got a boner for Barkley :)

Dapianna, provided a nice link that showed both some good and bad. In my world that has more weight than a highlight reel...just saying!
G08
Hall of Famer

Try actually watching all his tape before you let someone else decide what is and isn't important, just some friendly advice :)

Ahh Barkley, my purple unicorn... he at least made the final few weeks of last season somewhat enjoyable (something to root for). He's a perfect example of looking at NFL throws but not knowing how he will be able to read defenses/not knowing his limitations. Still not giving up on that kid, I think he needs to learn to play within his limitations. He really needs to stop looking at the deeper shots as often as he does, and he needs to realize he doesn't have the arm to hit some of the throws that his mind tells him he can hit (that early INT week 17 against Minnesota was awful).

More wishful thinking with him than anything else.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Try actually watching all his tape before you let someone else decide what is and isn't important, just some friendly advice :)

Ahh Barkley, my purple unicorn.

Still not giving up on that kid, although he really needs to stop looking at the deeper shots as often as he does, and he needs to realize he doesn't have the arm to hit some of the throws that his mind tells him he can hit (that early INT week 17 against Minnesota was awful).

More wishful thinking with him than anything else.
Barkley is the Bears fan's plight. We see a glimpse and we fall in love. Thinking maybe, just maybe the Bears have done what so many other teams have done...stumble onto a QB. But no, we get burned just like always and we keep hoping against hope that one of these mid to late round picks or scrap heap players will turn out to be our diamond in the rough. And that's why I feel that taking a chance on Watson, or whoever at #3 is absolutely worth it. Just to stop the ridiculous search for something, anything resembling a QB. At least for a while.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Barkley is the Bears fan's plight. We see a glimpse and we fall in love. Thinking maybe, just maybe the Bears have done what so many other teams have done...stumble onto a QB.
Yeah... that definitely crossed my mind as well. I should have just realized what franchise we are and saved myself the trouble :lol:

Still, gave me some more "tape" to look at on draftbreakdown. This is slowly becoming an unhealthy addiction.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:Barkley is the Bears fan's plight. We see a glimpse and we fall in love. Thinking maybe, just maybe the Bears have done what so many other teams have done...stumble onto a QB. But no, we get burned just like always and we keep hoping against hope that one of these mid to late round picks or scrap heap players will turn out to be our diamond in the rough. And that's why I feel that taking a chance on Watson, or whoever at #3 is absolutely worth it. Just to stop the ridiculous search for something, anything resembling a QB. At least for a while.
I don't see how anyone that claims to know what they're looking at could fall in love with Barkley? I question the same thing with Watson. The one thing I will say about Watson is, he comes to play and he does elevate the people around him. I don't think his style of play is what the bears are looking for. I see him as a poor mans Newton without the size or strength. I seriously think Trubisky or Kayaa would fit better in Loggains systems. This system requires fast decisions making skills and the ability to distribute the ball on time and accurately. I totally agree with you the bears have to try to find a QB. But we can't expect the powers that be to use the noodle theory.