If Garrett & Allen go 1st and 2nd, who do you want for #3?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

Allen is starting to drop. Multiple shoulder surgeries. Seen a few mocks having the kid from Stanford racing up the boards.
Nanky
Journeyman

I was thinking about this last night. If one of the top QB doesn't make a huge statement in the Combine (like Wentz last year), I don't see any worthy of a top 3 pick, and Pace may see things the same way. With that in mind, I was thinking of the predicament with Alshon, maybe we decide to let him go and pick Mike Williams at #3 as his replacement. He'd be a much cheaper option with even more upside and really no other concerns. Ultimately, Pace has shown he will not just pick a player based on need, so it won't shock me to see him pass over any of the QBs to pick Williams, Adams or maybe Hooker. I think he'll go for the biggest impact player and make a move in the 2nd or jump up a bit from there to grab a QB.
G08
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:I was thinking about this last night. If one of the top QB doesn't make a huge statement in the Combine (like Wentz last year), I don't see any worthy of a top 3 pick, and Pace may see things the same way. With that in mind, I was thinking of the predicament with Alshon, maybe we decide to let him go and pick Mike Williams at #3 as his replacement. He'd be a much cheaper option with even more upside and really no other concerns. Ultimately, Pace has shown he will not just pick a player based on need, so it won't shock me to see him pass over any of the QBs to pick Williams, Adams or maybe Hooker. I think he'll go for the biggest impact player and make a move in the 2nd or jump up a bit from there to grab a QB.
I've been letting this simmer for a little while and I think I'm flipping back to going QB at #3.

Why?

Our biggest needs are at: QB, FS, CB, TE

This draft is deep at FS, CB, and TE. You can find quality players in rounds 2-4.

If that's the case, I'm taking my highest rated QB at 3 (or in a brief trade down), and then going FS/CB/TE with my next three picks.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think if the QB is not a selection at 3, and the Bears have not addressed the position in FA, the likely hood of a trade down becomes the best option.

At 3 I think your looking at Trubiski. If the QB position has been addressed then its a play maker at a position of need. Pace has done this in each of his 1st picks. Athletic playmakers at a position that doesnt have that guy. Safety and Corner need that guy.

Safety
Hooker, Adams

CORNER
Lattimore, Jones
wab
Mod

with the amount of young defensive backs the Bears alreasy have on the roster, I'm convinced that they will take care of corner and safety in FA with short term vets.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:with the amount of young defensive backs the Bears alreasy have on the roster, I'm convinced that they will take care of corner and safety in FA with short term vets.
So then what's the draft target in rounds 1-4? QB, EDGE, WR (?), TE?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

QB / 5T / Edge / TE / OL / WR

That's how I'd do it anyway.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Nanky wrote:I was thinking about this last night. If one of the top QB doesn't make a huge statement in the Combine (like Wentz last year), I don't see any worthy of a top 3 pick, and Pace may see things the same way. With that in mind, I was thinking of the predicament with Alshon, maybe we decide to let him go and pick Mike Williams at #3 as his replacement. He'd be a much cheaper option with even more upside and really no other concerns. Ultimately, Pace has shown he will not just pick a player based on need, so it won't shock me to see him pass over any of the QBs to pick Williams, Adams or maybe Hooker. I think he'll go for the biggest impact player and make a move in the 2nd or jump up a bit from there to grab a QB.
I've been letting this simmer for a little while and I think I'm flipping back to going QB at #3.

Why?

Our biggest needs are at: QB, FS, CB, TE

This draft is deep at FS, CB, and TE. You can find quality players in rounds 2-4.

If that's the case, I'm taking my highest rated QB at 3 (or in a brief trade down), and then going FS/CB/TE with my next three picks.
I think 5T is up there with those needs, unless you're super high on Bullard.

I don't think TE can be fixed in free agency so that has to be a draft priority. FS and CB can be plus the Fuller x factor we've been posting about. I disagree with Wab about them being short term though. Bouye, Claiborne, Newman, Berry, Swearinger, McDougald... there are long term solutions out there.

I'm still hoping we can get a corner, safety and lineman (maybe someone like Chris Baker?) in free agency and then can go into the draft without many obvious holes... bar for QB.

I do like the idea of going after the Browns' picks. If they take Garrett #1 and they don't go QB in free agency then it could be mighty tempting for them to go after a Trubisky or Watson with #3.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:QB / 5T / Edge / TE / OL / WR

So in looking at White and Floyd, what prospect, other then QB, fit that mold, at those positions in the first in your opinion.

5T
McDowell, Thomas, Allen

Edge
Garrett, Barnett, Charlton

TE
Howard, Njoku

OT
Robinson, Ramczyk

WR
Ross, Davis

Obviously not all of those guys are #3 values. If its not a QB I am inclined to think its a DB at this point.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:QB / 5T / Edge / TE / OL / WR

So in looking at White and Floyd, what prospect, other then QB, fit that mold, at those positions in the first in your opinion.

5T
McDowell, Thomas, Allen

Edge
Garrett, Barnett, Charlton

TE
Howard, Njoku

OT
Robinson, Ramczyk

WR
Ross, Davis

Obviously not all of those guys are #3 values. If its not a QB I am inclined to think its a DB at this point.
Out of that group, Garrett would be the only one I would select at 3... maaaaaaybe Barnett... I like McDowell a lot more now but I don't know if sticking a guy who pretty much quit on plays last year playing for a down MSU team (yeah he definitely didn't have help and I can see how that would be disheartening but you can't quit on plays/games) in the locker room of a team coming off a 3-13 record... just seems like a bad idea
wab
Mod

I don't think Thomas is a 5T. Reports are that he's going to struggle to keep weight on at the next level. I don't think he's going to translate to OLB all that well. Very similar to Chris Long. Maybe Tamba Hali.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I know but he kind of fits the physical specimen and loosely scheme need.
G08
Hall of Famer

What intrigues me about him at #3 is that you can stick him at 3T in sub packages, which we are in about 65 to 70 percent of the time. This dude can play end as well as nose (not in a traditional 3-4 sense, mind you)

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

At this point I am hoping Cleveland wants to trade back up into the top 5.... take the 12th pick and draft Mahomes, I'd be happy if the draft wrangles out like this

http://nflmocks.com/2017/01/28/chicago- ... ing-picks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;