DL Prospect Discussion: Solomon Thomas, Stanford

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:Nice to see people coming around on this kid! Pace has said in the past his ideal end has 33" arms and weights around 280 lbs.

This kid is perfect and would be another chess piece for Lord Fangio.

I'm just scared the 49ers are going to take him with Lynch's ties to Stanford.
He'd almost have to exclusively play LB in their system.
It gives us options. He could play end in nickel, he could play 3T, he could play OLB in base, if we get him rocked up to 285 or 290 he could play 5T (he just needs to get MUCH stronger in his lower body).

I just like that he's another twitched up pass rusher we can deploy all over the field.

Again, this is me loving Ferraris.
I don't think he's going to be able to sustain that weight. Unlike Phatty McKees, his body type is so much different. He's from just a few miles away so I hear a lot of stuff about him on the news and local sports radio. The main concerns are A) that he's not going to be able to bulk up, and B) he's never really played LB.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Just going to put this here for comparison's sake:
[b][/b]
HtWtArm LHandWing40yd10ydbenchVrJBrJ3cnShS
Solomon Thomas6025273339.37578.8754.70 1.663035.010.5006.954.28
Pernell McPhee602527834.3759.2581.254.801.722028.58.9177.134.59
It's not a stretch to think that Fox/Fangio see Thomas as an upgraded version of McPhee.

i could totally get excited about him and floyd manning the outside for the next 8 years
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:Nice to see people coming around on this kid! Pace has said in the past his ideal end has 33" arms and weights around 280 lbs.

This kid is perfect and would be another chess piece for Lord Fangio.

I'm just scared the 49ers are going to take him with Lynch's ties to Stanford.
He'd almost have to exclusively play LB in their system.
It gives us options. He could play end in nickel, he could play 3T, he could play OLB in base, if we get him rocked up to 285 or 290 he could play 5T (he just needs to get MUCH stronger in his lower body).

I just like that he's another twitched up pass rusher we can deploy all over the field.

Again, this is me loving Ferraris.
I don't think he's going to be able to sustain that weight. Unlike Phatty McKees, his body type is so much different. He's from just a few miles away so I hear a lot of stuff about him on the news and local sports radio. The main concerns are A) that he's not going to be able to bulk up, and B) he's never really played LB.
The weight stuff I can't speak to, but I like his burst, arm length, and strength quite a bit as a pass rusher. If he can't play the 5, that's fine with me, have him drop 10-15 lbs and stick him outside.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Is he really the 3rd best player in the draft though?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Is he really the 3rd best player in the draft though?
I mean, what else is out there man? I look at it like these QBs aren't really deserving of a #3 overall pick when you look at the number of holes our defense currently has. Myles Garrett is the dude I want but we simply aren't going to get him.

With how deep this draft is at corner and safety, I see no need to draft one of those at #3. So that really whittles it down to Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas (for me). Allen has questionable shoulders so our medical department will have to really vouch for the kid. Solomon Thomas by all accounts is a great guy off the field, high character dude, and a tazmanian devil on the field.

Is he raw? Sure, especially for what I would do with him (OLB and 3T) but if you can develop this kid, who shows the athletic traits of being a dominant EDGE rusher (again, or 3T) then I absolutely make him the pick and pray that Floyd and Thomas can wreak havoc for at least the next 6-8 years.
wab
Mod

I think I'm firmly in the "trade down" camp. I don't love Allen at 3 and I don't love Thomas' fit in this defense.
UOK
Site Admin

@Ky1eLong
I try not to watch a ton of college film with guys coming out but the most NFL ready looking dude is Sol Thomas he's has twitch +GM strength
G08
Hall of Famer

I've fallen in love with this dude so of course that means he goes 1 pick before us or we skip him for some fucking hack.

Keep the tradition alive:

Aaron Donald
Leonard Williams
Vic Beasley
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:I've fallen in love with this dude so of course that means he goes 1 pick before us or we skip him for some fucking hack.

Keep the tradition alive:

Aaron Donald
Leonard Williams
Vic Beasley
Don't think so, man. I think SF is going to take Trubisky OR someone will trade up.

I think Solomon Thomas will be right there for the Bears and he'll be their guy.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

wab wrote:I think I'm firmly in the "trade down" camp. I don't love Allen at 3 and I don't love Thomas' fit in this defense.
I agree completely. If you can trade down but stay within the top 10 you can probably still get:

Watson, Allen, Thomas, Lattimore, Adams, or Hooker. Plus the pick you got in the trade.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So this maybe just me but I think Hasaan Redick screams Paces type.

I think Thomas could also be Paces type, and could be an interesting addition. Kind of a round peg that fits in the octagonal hole. We have not seen Fangio be overly creative here like in San Fran. Most likely talent reasons.

I also think Lattimore fits Paces style. I know the team has 50 corners but only a few that can play, and of those few only a couple under contract next year.
wab
Mod

I don't know that Redick fits unless it's inside. He's too short to play OLB in a 3-4.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I agree he is not an every down OLB on this team, and is not a dire need. However he never does what I think.

Reddick scored very high marks at the combine.

They coached Reddick and here is what Mayock said,
Haason Reddick, ILB, Temple: He had a really impressive week. He was a hand-in-the-dirt 4-3 defensive end with a lot of sack production at Temple, but down here they asked him to stand up and play two different positions, and every day he got better. And his attitude about the switch was terrific; I got a kick out of how he embraced it. The last two days of practice, I don't think he lost a rep. He bounced around and made plays all week. At 6-foot-1 and 237 pounds, most see him as a tweener, but I think he showed versatility. I came into the week wondering what he would be at the next level, and at the end of the practice sessions I left thinking he could be an inside linebacker in a 3-4, an inside linebacker in a 4-3, and an occasional edge rusher. Bottom line: He showed he can do a bunch of things and do them well. He might not have to come off the field.
UOK
Site Admin

@mattbarrows
4m
Bears D.C. Vic Fangio, Panthers HC Ron Rivera among the NFL glitteratti at #Stanford pro day.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Just saw that Kyle Long is in Thomas's corner. Likes him over Allen
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
karhu
Head Coach

That's not what he said.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

karhu wrote:That's not what he said.
"I try not to watch a ton of college film with guys coming out but the most NFL ready looking dude is Sol Thomas he's has twitch +GM strength"

Sooooo Long likes him over Allen...because Allen is included in everyone else not being the "most NFL ready." Putting someone first, means that he is favored over everyone else...including Allen.

So what I said is accurate.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
karhu
Head Coach

Sure, as long as you ignore the first fifteen words he wrote.

Long hasn't presumed to scout most players and isn't offering an opinion about anyone else. He's impressed with Thomas, like the rest of us.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

"Try" doesn't say he doesn't watch, just says try
"A ton" so he's probably not micro-analyzing punters, but he probably watches film on guys he might have to face...
"Most NFL ready Dude" again encompasses Allen.

So no I didn't ignore his first 15 words.
G08
Hall of Famer

God shut up :lol:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lol