How the draft experts rated Aaron Rodgers in 2005

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

With all the talk about this being a weak QB year I did google search on other years to test the accuracy of these ratings. I came across this article from right after the 2005 draft on what scouts thought about Aaron Rodgers. In hindsight some of them the are laughable (i.e. Jerry Angelo who picked Cedric Benson that year). This does not mean the the scouts this year are wrong, but it does tell me to take their opinions with a grain of salt. And their opinions are probably more valid than mine.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pack ... 16571.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What NFL scouts told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn before the draft about quarterback Aaron Rodgers:

Marc Ross, Buffalo: "He's a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

AFC scout: "I like him. He's a very talented guy. A lot of quarterbacks that were system people have not done very well. That puts up a red flag. Not that he is one of them. He could be an exception. But I can't get it out of my craw."

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "I like him. I just don't know if he's maxed out. He's more accurate than (Kyle) Boller but probably not as athletic. He's a better player than Akili Smith. He's more athletic than (Trent) Dilfer was. He's a little more mobile than Joey Harrington. He had to go to a JC because no one would recruit him because they said he was too small. He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."

NFC scout: "(Alex) Smith is the better athlete."

AFC scout: "I think he has some upside although there are some things that are just ordinary about him."

Jerry Angelo, Chicago: "I'd give Rodgers the edge (over Smith) just because he was easier to evaluate. And there's a little more arm. But the edge is negligible."

NFC scout: "I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn't have great ability to change the release of the football. He's mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better."

NFC scout: "The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They're too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don't know if they become good pro players. I think Rodgers is in that same mold."

AFC scout: "I don't like him. He's a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don't think he's as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year."

AFC scout: "I don't think he's in the class of the quarterbacks that came out last year. Strong arm. Pretty good athlete. Still has some holes in his game."

Bill Polian, Indianapolis: "I see a guy who has good arm strength. I see some athletic ability. I see a guy who was pretty good with a good team. I see a guy who's in a pretty efficient offense. Am I certain that he's going to come in and lead my team to the Promised Land? I can't say that. I'm not even sure I can say that about Alex Smith."

AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don't think there's a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I'm dead serious. None of them are worth it."

NFC scout: "He fit right into the Cal system. He probably executed that as well as anybody. He doesn't have as strong an arm as Boller but can make the same reads and play the scheme as well as Boller did.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The fact he was able to sit for a long time behind Favre was a huge advantage to his development
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:The fact he was able to sit for a long time behind Favre was a huge advantage to his development
I think sitting is an important step. Unfortunately to often QB are rushed.
IotaNet
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:The fact he was able to sit for a long time behind Favre was a huge advantage to his development
I think sitting is an important step ...
you mean like Jimmy Garoppolo has been doing?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

IotaNet wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
I think sitting is an important step ...
you mean like Jimmy Garoppolo has been doing?
The difference here is the Packers didn't have to give up a 2nd round pick and give a large contract extension before seeing what they had with Rodgers... he was still on his rookie contact when he took over. If he failed, so be it, move on to a different guy, Garop fails after giving up a pick and 20-30 million guaranteed sets team back 3 or so years...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Not sure they have to give him that much. He has one year left and they have two tags.

Either way not about Jimmy. QBs are rushed two quickly.
SC Bear
Journeyman

yikes-spend two tags on Jimmy.