Malik McDowell vs. Jonathan Allen

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

The CB/WR situation reminds me of the ILB situation last year. Address it in FA with two vets then take a flyer on a guy later in the draft.

Cooper was a pro bowl alternate...he and Amukamara are your day 1 starters based on contracts alone. Fuller will be traded or cut as the Emery purge continues. Porter might play more FS than corner...assuming he makes the roster. LeBlanc is a hedge against Callahan staying healthy. Hall is your developmental/depth guy. McManis is your special teams ace.

I could see it being:
Amukamara
Cooper
Callahan
LeBlanc
Hall
McManis

Doesn't leave much room for a rookie. UNLESS...they want to take Sidney Jones in the 5th and stash him on IR for the year.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
Doesn't leave much room for a rookie. UNLESS...they want to take Sidney Jones in the 5th and stash him on IR for the year.
That would be a nice play... that kid has some great upside, if he can recover fully from the injury...
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I know everyone is worried about Allen's health long term but I still like him 2nd best of dlinemen (behind Garrett). If he only plays one contract before his shoulders start to give him trouble, so be it. I'm confident he'll go to at least one pro bowl in those four years and he fills a need.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't know many people with arthritis prior to the age of 40-50, so for him to have it be an issue at 21 is hard for me to comprehend.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I don't know many people with arthritis prior to the age of 40-50, so for him to have it be an issue at 21 is hard for me to comprehend.

There are things they can do now for youths whom develop it. I listened to a sports doctor talk about it and forgot the majority of the info. I think cold therapy, turmeric, fats, fixing imbalances for blood flow, etc. Hell Urlacher had it in his hips and it didn't slow him down.
karhu
Head Coach

Hate to repeat myself, but almost all linemen have arthritis or a pre-arthritic condition.

Allen benched at the combine. He's got the most effective hands of any interior lineman in this draft. The only question is whether the stuff they found indicates or allows the strong possibility of a pathology that'll hurt him during his professional career. And I haven't heard anything like that.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
G08
Hall of Famer

Random question:

If you could draft Justin Smith at #3 and get his SF career production under Vic Fangio, would you do it?

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Random question:

If you could draft Justin Smith at #3 and get his SF career production under Vic Fangio, would you do it?

Yep.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

well that's an inauspicious start to his career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ss-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:well that's an inauspicious start to his career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ss-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, very unfortunate.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Seems that accident may have derailed his career completely...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... y-seahawks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wow. I use to ride a lot. Grew up on them. Always had a helmet. I have seen a bunch of crashes. Been involved in 2 good ones. A career ended or year in recovery seems crazy.