Malik McDowell vs. Jonathan Allen

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

Saw this cool new scouting report video on YouTube of Malik McDowell the other day. As I've said, I think he's going to be better than Jonathan Allen. I hope the Bears agree.

[video][/video]
Adipost
MVP

McDowell measures in at 6-6 1/4, 295 lbs, 83 inch wingspan.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:McDowell measures in at 6-6 1/4, 295 lbs, 83 inch wingspan.
Something like 35 inch arms... that's Wilkerson shit
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:McDowell measures in at 6-6 1/4, 295 lbs, 83 inch wingspan.
Something like 35 inch arms... that's Wilkerson shit
Dude is going to be a force.
Adipost
MVP

Couple this with Jon Allen's arthritis issues, and I can see McDowell skyrocket into the top 5.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

good stuff
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:good stuff
McDowell destroyed 2 of the top 3 OT's in college, ND's Mcglinchy and Wisconsin's Ramczyk. He also destroyed top center Cole of Michigan.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i watched the malik hooker video as well. dude does a good job imo.
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:i watched the malik hooker video as well. dude does a good job imo.
Did you see his McPhee video?
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:Couple this with Jon Allen's arthritis issues, and I can see McDowell skyrocket into the top 5.
You don't draft guys who quit on their team in the top 5... what's gonna happen when a bad team doesn't win and he gets those same old quittin' feelings again...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote: McDowell destroyed 2 of the top 3 OT's in college, ND's Mcglinchy and Wisconsin's Ramczyk. He also destroyed top center Cole of Michigan.
I don't remember him destroying Ramczyk but I could be v wing. Physically he is top 10, but definitely disappeared at times. The question is he a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane guy. Questions of MSU coaching staff will be important.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Top 5 pick, huh?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I don't care what measurables say, this kid is not a top 5 pick, hell I wouldn't pick him in the first round, could he be great, sure but there is no way in hell could I imagine giving him a 1st round contract....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/winners-an ... 33601.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michigan State DL Malik McDowell — Allow us to explain how a 6-foot-6, 295-pound prime athlete with long arms and big hands who runs a 4.85 40 is on the “losers” list. Said one team: “Worst interview we did.” Added another: “Awful interview. Awful.” What concerns scouts most is that for all his tremendous upside — watch him destroy Michigan, for instance — McDowell’s production and tape don’t always match up. Scouts feel like he takes plays off too often. And when they asked him about that, he got defensive. They also asked him about his attitude and work ethic, which were concerns. Many of those questions remain unanswered.

“The cautionary tale is Clowney,” one team explained. “You see him now, he’s dominant; we had those same questions [for McDowell] when he came out. Does he love football? Is he going to work?

“With [McDowell], I can’t figure out what makes this kid tick. He might be the type who, maybe he falls [in the draft] and it lights a fire under him. I don’t know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.

“McDowell might never fully show his full skill, but passing on him also means you’re missing out on a potentially rare talent.”
wab
Mod

I'd take him in the 2nd, definitely in the 3rd. But not anywhere near the top 15
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:I'd take him in the 2nd, definitely in the 3rd. But not anywhere near the top 15
I'd take him anywhere 3rd and beyond... but I also feel a drop in his draft stock will have a "fff it, I don't even want to be a first round pick anyway" kinda effect on him and he will probably be ruined before he even starts. The guy quit on his team, no matter which way you cut it... he said his coaches decided to just give up on changing him and let him play his way... doesn't sound coachable...
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:I don't care what measurables say, this kid is not a top 5 pick, hell I wouldn't pick him in the first round, could he be great, sure but there is no way in hell could I imagine giving him a 1st round contract....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/winners-an ... 33601.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michigan State DL Malik McDowell — Allow us to explain how a 6-foot-6, 295-pound prime athlete with long arms and big hands who runs a 4.85 40 is on the “losers” list. Said one team: “Worst interview we did.” Added another: “Awful interview. Awful.” What concerns scouts most is that for all his tremendous upside — watch him destroy Michigan, for instance — McDowell’s production and tape don’t always match up. Scouts feel like he takes plays off too often. And when they asked him about that, he got defensive. They also asked him about his attitude and work ethic, which were concerns. Many of those questions remain unanswered.

“The cautionary tale is Clowney,” one team explained. “You see him now, he’s dominant; we had those same questions [for McDowell] when he came out. Does he love football? Is he going to work?

“With [McDowell], I can’t figure out what makes this kid tick. He might be the type who, maybe he falls [in the draft] and it lights a fire under him. I don’t know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.

“McDowell might never fully show his full skill, but passing on him also means you’re missing out on a potentially rare talent.”
Yes, he's a bad interview. But who cares. And whenever you are being compared to a freak like Clowney, it's a good thing.
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:I'd take him in the 2nd, definitely in the 3rd. But not anywhere near the top 15
I'd take him anywhere 3rd and beyond... but I also feel a drop in his draft stock will have a "fff it, I don't even want to be a first round pick anyway" kinda effect on him and he will probably be ruined before he even starts. The guy quit on his team, no matter which way you cut it... he said his coaches decided to just give up on changing him and let him play his way... doesn't sound coachable...
He was misquoted.
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:Yes, he's a bad interview. But who cares.
The majority of NFL teams.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lol
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
He's not a QB. If you have Clowney skills, they don't care if you can even speak English.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:
He's not a QB. If you have Clowney skills, they don't care if you can even speak English.

What?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:

What?
Chicken Butt
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:
Meh, you have an excuse for everything. There are plenty of guys who have been NFL talent that didn't love the game and were out of the league before their rookie contracts were up... it doesn't matter how talented you are if you don't have the desire and work ethic to get better...

Charles Rogers, Trent Richardson, Vernon Gholston, and JaMarcus Russell come screaming to mind... all the talent and size in the world but didn't want to keep working to improve... McDowell can easily be one of those guys and I doubt there are a lot of teams that want to take that risk, especially in the top 10 picks... and I don't recall any time I can remember a guy interviewing poorly at the combine and getting drafted highly. But hey keep on plugging just like with Kizer who not one team raved about post combine, guess maybe he isn't obviously the most talented QB coming out then, huh?
karhu
Head Coach

McDowell isn't anywhere near the athlete Clowney was. Not close. He's a bit bigger and his arms are half an inch longer or something. That's it. The only combine measure in which he wasn't embarrassed by Clowney was the bench, where they were both below average.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
haliker
Rookie

I am hoping they just draft Allen at this point. invest in the defense, and piece the offense together until we know we have a QB worth building around.
wab
Mod

haliker wrote:I am hoping they just draft Allen at this point. invest in the defense, and piece the offense together until we know we have a QB worth building around.
Not at #3 with arthritic shoulders.
haliker
Rookie

Unfortunately I had not seen the information about shoulder issues prior to my post yesterday. Hmm, are we all in on S from LSU or OSU at this point?
G08
Hall of Famer

Greg Gabriel reporting that Vic Fangio and our DL Coach were at the Alabama Pro Day... probably looking at Allen, right? Does that mean we approved his medicals?

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:Greg Gabriel reporting that Vic Fangio and our DL Coach were at the Alabama Pro Day... probably looking at Allen, right? Does that mean we approved his medicals?
Could have been looking at Foster, Anderson or Williams as well... Hopefully Anderson...
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Greg Gabriel reporting that Vic Fangio and our DL Coach were at the Alabama Pro Day... probably looking at Allen, right? Does that mean we approved his medicals?
Maybe. But not at #3.