College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I'm good with:

FS - Demps
SS - Adams

Amos can come in if we play big nickel and Adams can cover the slot

Bush is a work in progress, and DHC looks to be a 4 phase ST guy. I guess this would keep Hall at corner.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:I don't mind taking a Safety at all given who we have on the roster.

I think people in general look at guys on the roster and try to convince themselves that we won't take player X because we have a guy on the roster. That is Pace's MO...to fill the roster prior to the draft then take who he has rated high. After the guaranteed money is gone, no one's job is safe of the whole roster including QB. So if you have a guy with 1 guaranteed year and the primary backup only on a 1 year deal, then hell yes QB is in play for anyone with enough upside to start in 2 seasons.
And that's fine...but you start getting log jams at positions and have to let guys go while they are still on rookie contracts. That's cheap labor. The foundation of the team in the salary cap era is built on those guys. You also run the risk of letting young players go before they are fully developed and evaluated.
I own my own business and I know for a fact that "cheap labor" is not always "profitable labor". We are a team full of cheap labor, with a really good salary cap margin, with 3 wins to our name this last year. That's not profitable football unless you're ownership just leeching off the fans.

I'm rooting for everyone who puts on the Navy and orange to succeed and in turn help the team succeed, but the cheap labor hasn't produced. We need game changers who can stay on the field. We don't have one in our secondary. It would be a great problem to have if the young guys suddenly "developed" and were able to run basic coverages without fucking up...But they haven't risen to the challenge yet.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

update: Jamal Adams will be a busy man in the coming days.
According to Ross Dellenger of The Advocate, Adams is set to meet with the Chicago Bears for a private workout. The report also indicates Adams is meeting with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday and he will also meet with the Tennessee Titans. No dates were mentioned for his visits with the Bears and Titans.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

Does anyone have an idea of an order in which the Bears held private workouts?
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Does anyone have an idea of an order in which the Bears held private workouts?
No idea... why?

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:Does anyone have an idea of an order in which the Bears held private workouts?
No idea... why?
Just curious. Trying to get an idea of their priorities.
wab
Mod

I know they've spent the most time with Allen.
G08
Hall of Famer

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Jamal Adams is well aware of the history. He thinks he was a junior in high school when he first looked it up.

No safety has been selected among the top four picks in the NFL draft since Eric Turner at No. 2 in 1991. And the guys who have been picked at No. 5 since then -- Sean Taylor, Eric Berry and Jalen Ramsey, who played safety as well as cornerback at Florida State -- form a pretty exclusive list.

But Adams has a good chance to soar past them after he ran a scorching 40-yard dash Wednesday at LSU’s pro day. He was unofficially timed at 4.33 seconds by LSU’s strength and conditioning coach, and sources from two teams agreed that he ran in the 4.3s.

“There’s tons of talent in the draft, so hopefully I make history," said Adams, who said that he exceeded even his own expectations with his 40 time. "Hopefully I go top-four. ... It’s [whatever is] in God’s plan. But that’s definitely my goal."

But don’t mistake that for any lack of confidence. Adams said his next goal after being drafted in the top four is to earn himself a “yellow jacket.”

"That’s my main goal, to be a Hall of Famer," said Adams, who is the son of former NFL running back George Adams, who was picked 19th by the New York Giants in 1985. "But as a rookie coming in, I just want to earn the respect of my teammates and my coaches and do whatever they ask me to do, whether that’s running down on gunner on kickoff, taking water, taking helmets. Whatever they need, that’s what I’m going to do.”

Forty times aren’t everything when it comes to NFL draft prospects. But it was huge for the hard-hitting, 6-foot, 212-pounder, because his uninspiring time of 4.56 seconds at the NFL scouting combine was one of the few knocks against him.

Many analysts were pairing Adams with the Chicago Bears at No. 3 even before his pro day. And he has a visit scheduled Thursday with the Jacksonville Jaguars, who pick fourth.

One of the biggest hurdles Adams will face, however, is that Ohio State safety Malik Hooker could leapfrog him.

ESPN analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both had Hooker going in the top five ahead of Adams in their latest mock drafts on Wednesday -- before LSU’s pro day.

One way or another, there’s a great chance that some safety will make history.

“The game is changing to where tight ends are more like receivers,” Adams said Wednesday, making a case for himself as well as the position group as a whole. “They’re running receiver routes. They’re coming out of the spread. ... They’re making the safeties come out of single high and come down and cover. Come in the box, bang a little bit. The game is definitely changing.

“I feel like I’m versatile, I can play everything in the back end, I can blitz, I can cover in the slot, I can sit at 20 yards and go sideline to sideline. So I feel like that’s what separates me.”

New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said he is surprised that safeties haven’t gone higher in the past quarter century -- partly because he remembers being with the Seattle Seahawks when they drafted a pretty special one, Kenny Easley, back in 1981, and partly because he agrees with Adams’ assessment of how the passing game has overtaken the NFL.

“I don’t know [if the league is more ready to draft a safety that high now], but I’m surprised at the fact,” Loomis said. “Given the passing game and how it’s evolved over the last 10, 12, 15 years, it’s surprising.”

Adams is known as more of an in-the-box safety more than a cover safety. He had only five interceptions in three years at LSU. But he earned second-team All-America honors from the Associated Press and first-team honors from other media outlets as a hard hitter, tone-setter and team leader of one of the nation’s most dominant defenses.

He earned comparisons to another LSU star -- Tyrann Mathieu -- as well as 2016 first-round pick, Keanu Neal, who helped transform the Atlanta Falcons’ defense as a rookie leader.

Kiper listed Adams' original 40 time and his lack of superior ball skills as knocks against him. But he still offered high praise in a recent mock draft, saying, "This might be a high pick for the traditional version of a safety, but Adams is more than that. He's a true hybrid who never has to come off the field, because he can run and cover but also is a beast as an in-the-box defender."

ESPN analyst Matt Bowen, a former NFL safety himself, believes that Adams is worthy of a top-five pick and possibly that No. 3 pick in his home base of Chicago despite the interception totals or the combine 40 time.

“Honestly, that [pro day 40 time] is going to check off a major box for scouts, but doesn't change my opinion on him. He’s a top-five guy at 4.5 speed, too,” Bowen said. “I see his game speed on tape. Natural instincts, high-level football IQ, versatility to play multiple spots. He can be a special player in the NFL -- a guy that comes in and changes the identity of the secondary.

“Does that equal a top-five grade? Based on the tape, yes. Some will argue that he doesn't have the athletic measurables [testing numbers] to warrant that type of grade. My perspective? Give me a physical DB that plays tough, finds the ball and sets the tone in the back end. Can the Bears pass on him at No. 3 given their need for an impact player at safety?”

Or will they have to make history?
*grumbles under breath*

God damnit... I think I might want him to be the pick.

karhu
Head Coach

Yeah, me, too. Love his game and all, but after the combine I worried that he was just a well prepared college guy whose lack of speed would show up in the pros. If he's got three sources confirming a sub-4.4 40, those concerns are about gone. And they're the only ones I had.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
G08
Hall of Famer

He's so fluid on the field so I feel like his 4.4ish dash is more in line with his play speed than his 4.56 at the combine.

He still misses more tackles than I like, but still...

1. Jamal Adams
2. Evan Engram
3. Chris Wormley
4a. Ahkello Witherspoon
4b. Brad Kaaya

I can dig it

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:He's so fluid on the field so I feel like his 4.4ish dash is more in line with his play speed than his 4.56 at the combine.

1. Jamal Adams
2. Evan Engram
3. Chris Wormley
4a. Ahkello Witherspoon
4b. Brad Kaaya

I can dig it
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:He's so fluid on the field so I feel like his 4.4ish dash is more in line with his play speed than his 4.56 at the combine.

1. Jamal Adams
2. Evan Engram
3. Chris Wormley
4a. Ahkello Witherspoon
4b. Brad Kaaya

I can dig it

Ditka4Prez08
Rookie

Man, I just think #3 is too rich for a guy who is 15 yards away from the LOS. Safety can be addressed in the 2nd round with Baker or Williams, there is enough depth at that position in the draft.

I hope they end up with Thomas. Dynamic guy that can play OLB or 5T with a bit of bulk. There is a big drop off in lineman after Allen/Thomas IMO.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset if they did draft Adams at #3 though.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I'm good with:

FS - Demps
SS - Adams

Bush is a work in progress, and DHC looks to be a 4 phase ST guy. I guess this would keep Hall at corner.
If we're talking safety at #3 I'm taking Hooker. I'm liking demps at SS and Hooker as our ball hawking FS. With the Bears d-line and LB corps, I'm not worried about our safety stopping the run and from what I've seen, that would be Adams strength. However, the bears desperately lack legit coverage. I'm taking Hooker 9 times out of 10 over Adams in coverage.

Cooper, Amukamara, Demps and Hooker would significantly upgrade the Bears secondary. Put LaBlanc or Callahan in at nickel and I feel we're in business. I'm really looking forward to this defense creating turnovers this season.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm good with:

FS - Demps
SS - Adams

If we're talking safety at #3 I'm taking Hooker. I'm liking demps at SS and Hooker as our ball hawking FS. With the Bears d-line and LB corps, I'm not worried about our safety stopping the run and from what I've seen, that would be Adams strength. However, the bears desperately lack legit coverage. I'm taking Hooker 9 times out of 10 over Adams in coverage.

Cooper, Amukamara, Demps and Hooker would significantly upgrade the Bears secondary. Put LaBlanc or Callahan in at nickel and I feel we're in business. I'm really looking forward to this defense creating turnovers this season.
Hicks is the Bears entire D-line at this point, especially if they take a safety at #3. Goldman can't stay on the field and the rest of Unrein, Bullard, and Wilson are fringe players. Pace has almost free agency-d himself into taking Allen or Thomas.

There is a TON of talent at LB, but there are just as many question marks as talented players. Floyed needs to get bigger and stronger, or his injury issues are going to persist. Houston has missed more games than he's played, McPhee will be good for about 6 games this season, Jones is a never ending project, and Young...while being the steadiest out of all of them...gets the majority of his production from playing DE because he's not a good 3-4 OLB.

If you look at what Fangio and Donatell did at DB in San Fran, they took middle round picks and B-Level free agents and threw them all against the wall to see who stuck where. They won games and had a great defense without great secondary players.

If the Bears are going defense, they need to take Allen or Thomas. Really what they need is to trade down to 7 or 8 and get better value than the players at #3 offer.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote: If the Bears are going defense, they need to take Allen or Thomas. Really what they need is to trade down to 7 or 8 and get better value than the players at #3 offer.

I'm not disagreeing. I also think this is the best 2 options. But if we're talking safety or bust at #3, I would pass on Adams. IMO, the bears need a game changer in pass coverage and I believe that's not Adams.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Jamal Adams at #3 could be a good decision. If he's the real deal Fangio should be able to turn a liability into a strength. Leadership and good play in the secondary will make it harder on the good QBs we face twice a year. I'm fine if the only way he crosses the line of scrimmage is with a pick.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.