Your dream scenario as a Bears fan for this draft.

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

haliker
Rookie

What would the best possible outcome be in your opinion?

Mine

Rd 1 = Johnathon Allen (Cant have too many defensive pieces)
Rd 2 = Jabrill Peppers (I can dream right)
Rd 3 = Deshone Kizer (He is not perfect, but the kid was not the reason ND was bad last year. Defense was terrible)
Rd 4 = Jake Butt (Knee is gonna heal perfectly and he will be a 10 year starter, I hope.)
Rd 5 = Ben Boulware
Rd 6 = Best OL player from Wisconsin, OSU, or Alabama
wab
Mod

haliker wrote:What would the best possible outcome be in your opinion?

Mine

Rd 1 = Johnathon Allen (Cant have too many defensive pieces)
Rd 2 = Jabrill Peppers (I can dream right)
Rd 3 = Deshone Kizer (He is not perfect, but the kid was not the reason ND was bad last year. Defense was terrible)
Rd 4 = Jake Butt (Knee is gonna heal perfectly and he will be a 10 year starter, I hope.)
Rd 5 = Ben Boulware
Rd 6 = Best OL player from Wisconsin, OSU, or Alabama
For starters, Allen isn't going in the top 5 with his shoulder issues, and as much as I dislike him, there's no way in hell Kizer lasts till the third damn round.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

In a perfect world, the Bears would trade down to pick 8 or 9 in round 1 and give me a lot less pause about drafting a QB.

And they wouldn't sign Mike effing Glennon.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Dream scenario would be:

R1 - Trade #3 to the Jets for #6 and their 3rd rounder this year. With the 6th pick, take Malik Hooker FS Ohio State.
R2 - Trade back up into R1 with the Chiefs at #27 for #36 and the Jets 3rd rounder we got from the 1st trade. With the 27th pick, take Patrick Mahomes QB Texas Tech
R3 - Take best available CB
R4 - Take best available TE, possibly Jordan Leggett if available
R4 - Take best available regardless of position
R5 - Take best available regardless of position
R7 - Take best available regardless of position
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My dream scenario?

Cleveland and SF go QB with the first 2 picks, leaving Myles Garrett for us at 3.
Bears staff deftly leaks a creatively scary rumor, causing Patrick Mahomes to be there for us in R2.

That's good enough. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:My dream scenario?

Cleveland and SF go QB with the first 2 picks, leaving Myles Garrett for us at 3.
Bears staff deftly leaks a creatively scary rumor, causing Patrick Mahomes to be there for us in R2.

That's good enough. :)
^ I'm good with this... but I would also love to come away with Chris Godwin/Ar'Darius Stewart, Kevin King/Chidobe Awuzie, Evan Engram/George Kittle/Jordan Leggett...
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

well my dream scenario now is mahomes falling to us in the draft. i think for that to work, basically:

-49ers use hoyer this year, already have a plan in place to bring in cousins next year. (redskins being in disarray/ losing garcon + jackson)

-browns trading the 12 for garropolo (OH PLEASE OH PLEASE)

-bills re-signed taylor, so they're out of the immediate qb hunt

-jets are a wildcard. qb in the first a year after taking qb in the second? i'd think they pick up cutler/kaep as a bridge and wait another year before coming to the conclusion that petty/hackenberg are complete trash.

-cards are a wildcard. they definitely need to groom somebody for when carson dies, which could be any minute now). they also need to groom him on the cheap. 1st rounder doesnt make a ton of sense.

no way watson makes it to round 2, somebody's going to take him. but mahomes still very much could.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

me theory crafting us getting mahomes in the second:

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:me theory crafting us getting mahomes in the second:

G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:me theory crafting us getting mahomes in the second:

It's just a little airborn, it's still good! IT'S STILL GOOD!!

It's gone.

I know...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Dream scenario = every fucking pick is a hit, no more, no less
haliker
Rookie

OK, so some comparisons I hear are Mahomes is Cutler 2.0, some he is just a product of the system he played in, and other are dying to get him.

Can someone explain to me why some of these points are valid, and which are unfounded?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

haliker wrote:OK, so some comparisons I hear are Mahomes is Cutler 2.0, some he is just a product of the system he played in, and other are dying to get him.

Can someone explain to me why some of these points are valid, and which are unfounded?
Oh yeah, no problem. Good rule of thumb:. If adipost said it? Ignore it, it's garbage.

If funkster said it, it probably involves bringing in an old QB with little upside. Ignore it.

The rest of us are geniuses.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:
haliker wrote:OK, so some comparisons I hear are Mahomes is Cutler 2.0, some he is just a product of the system he played in, and other are dying to get him.

Oh yeah, no problem. Good rule of thumb:. If adipost said it? Ignore it, it's garbage.

If funkster said it, it probably involves bringing in an old QB with little upside. Ignore it.

The rest of us are geniuses.
That might be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I would say watch the games on YouTube that the draft breakdown guys have cut down to just plays of him throwing or running, this way you can form your own opinion. Some people see him as QB1 and some see him as QB6...

Just don't start with him vs West Virginia, the Oklahoma game is a fun one to start with.
malk
Head Coach

Dream scenario? To wake up and realise we haven't given Glennon 15 million a year.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

malk wrote:Dream scenario? To wake up and realise we haven't given Glennon 15 million a year.
Well it might only be 14.5m per, so hizzah?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I agree with the other poster... youtube the games he's played. And don't watch highlight reels. Instead, watch the games where you can see both the good and the bad. And watch as many as you can find. Everybody has a good or bad game once in a while.

There are several reasons for the Cutler comparisons. First, his mechanics are all over the place. He will throw it off his back foot and with his feet not set, which leads to mistakes. His arm motion is seemingly different on every throw. Second, you can't miss his rocket arm. Third, he runs a lot like Cutler... He's somewhat mobile and effective, but stiffer than the more athletic guys. Fourth, he's almost the identical size and build to Cutler.

The "product of the system" derives from the offense they run. Lots of WRs spread out everywhere with the QB in the shotgun on every snap. A lot of college guys have been effective in that or similar systems and flopped in the pros. The thought process in that kind of offense is different and easier than NFL offenses. So there's an adjustment process that will take time.

The wild difference of opinion derives from the eye of the beholder's tolerance for the fixability of the bad mechanics and ability to adapt to running an NFL offense.

In my personal opinion, I see a guy who has significant flaws in his game, but demonstrates acute football intelligence on the fly almost all the time, which I highly value--a huge divergence from Cutler. Having those smarts helps me believe that he will be able to make the necessary adjustments to adapt his game to be successful in the NFL, although it will take time. Others look at the sub-optimal history of college QBs coming out of spread offenses and becoming NFL success stories. To my knowledge, Texas Tech QBs in that offense in particular have never made a successful transition to quality NFL starter.

I further look at his seemingly constant running around as a product of an inconsistent OL and having to play from behind most of the time, whereas others see that as him being a Cutleresque risk taker who tries to "hit home runs" instead of being satisfied with smaller profit plays. I also value that he is generally an accurate thrower despite his poor mechanics, which mitigates the negative mechanical grade for me. Others feel like his poor mechanics willl bite Mahomes harder when he gets to the NFL vs. pro defenders and DCs.

So Mahomes is a story of extremes. Super strong arm. Really bad mechanics. Impressive confidence, leadership and intelligence. Trained in an offense that usually doesn't produce NFL QBs. If you're judging Mahomes, you have to examine his wild package of characteristics and measure them against which traits you think are most or least important and which flaws can or can't be corrected or compensated for.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:

I agree with the other poster... youtube the games he's played. And don't watch highlight reels. Instead, watch the games where you can see both the good and the bad. And watch as many as you can find. Everybody has a good or bad game once in a while.

There are several reasons for the Cutler comparisons. First, his mechanics are all over the place. He will throw it off his back foot and with his feet not set, which leads to mistakes. His arm motion is seemingly different on every throw. Second, you can't miss his rocket arm. Third, he runs a lot like Cutler... He's somewhat mobile and effective, but stiffer than the more athletic guys. Fourth, he's almost the identical size and build to Cutler.

The "product of the system" derives from the offense they run. Lots of WRs spread out everywhere with the QB in the shotgun on every snap. A lot of college guys have been effective in that or similar systems and flopped in the pros. The thought process in that kind of offense is different and easier than NFL offenses. So there's an adjustment process that will take time.

The wild difference of opinion derives from the eye of the beholder's tolerance for the fixability of the bad mechanics and ability to adapt to running an NFL offense.

In my personal opinion, I see a guy who has significant flaws in his game, but demonstrates acute football intelligence on the fly almost all the time, which I highly value--a huge divergence from Cutler. Having those smarts helps me believe that he will be able to make the necessary adjustments to adapt his game to be successful in the NFL, although it will take time. Others look at the sub-optimal history of college QBs coming out of spread offenses and becoming NFL success stories. To my knowledge, Texas Tech QBs in that offense in particular have never made a successful transition to quality NFL starter.

I further look at his seemingly constant running around as a product of an inconsistent OL and having to play from behind most of the time, whereas others see that as him being a Cutleresque risk taker who tries to "hit home runs" instead of being satisfied with smaller profit plays. I also value that he is generally an accurate thrower despite his poor mechanics, which mitigates the negative mechanical grade for me. Others feel like his poor mechanics willl bite Mahomes harder when he gets to the NFL vs. pro defenders and DCs.

So Mahomes is a story of extremes. Super strong arm. Really bad mechanics. Impressive confidence, leadership and intelligence. Trained in an offense that usually doesn't produce NFL QBs. If you're judging Mahomes, you have to examine his wild package of characteristics and measure them against which traits you think are most or least important and which flaws can or can't be corrected or compensated for.
I agree with your assessment, some people watching are going to love him, some are going to look at him as a guy who has fatal flaws that can't be fixed... the one thing that I can't wrap my head around tho is the thought that he is running around trying to hit a home run all the time. Numerous times I have watched him take the short hitch or crossing route for a first down when it's there. He was forced to put up basketball points to help his team win, a solid defense and running game should help him immensely in the pros.
Ditka4Prez08
Rookie

Dream scenario? Trade back and pick up picks. Fill this talent depleted team with playmakers.

If no trade downs then something similar to the mock draft I posted in my thread would be great.

#3 - Jamal Adams, S
#36 - Patrick Mahomes III, QB
#67 - Kevin King, CB
#111 - Corn Elder, CB
#117 - Josh Reynolds, WR
#147 - Julie'n Davenport, OT
#221 - Keionta Davis, DL/EDGE
FaithInCutler
MVP

Im falling in love with this guy (Mahomes) after spending a few hours watching his videos. I DEFIANTLY like him more than Mitch. I've seen him do everything. If he can do everything more consistently he could be really good in the NFL for a while.

Damn. You think Pace has the balls to draft him where he's likely to be picked? I'm not so sure id take him at 3, but I'd think about it! lol
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

FaithInCutler wrote:Im falling in love with this guy (Mahomes) after spending a few hours watching his videos. I DEFIANTLY like him more than Mitch. I've seen him do everything. If he can do everything more consistently he could be really good in the NFL for a while.

Damn. You think Pace has the balls to draft him where he's likely to be picked? I'm not so sure id take him at 3, but I'd think about it! lol
Mahomes will not make it out of the 1st. If AZ doesn't take him I think Houston will. So if Pace thinks he is his guy he has to take him at 3 and I would be fine with it.
Ditka4Prez08
Rookie

bearsfaninaz wrote:
FaithInCutler wrote:Im falling in love with this guy (Mahomes) after spending a few hours watching his videos. I DEFIANTLY like him more than Mitch. I've seen him do everything. If he can do everything more consistently he could be really good in the NFL for a while.

Mahomes will not make it out of the 1st. If AZ doesn't take him I think Houston will. So if Pace thinks he is his guy he has to take him at 3 and I would be fine with it.
One HELL of a reach for a project.
FaithInCutler
MVP

Ditka4Prez08 wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:

One HELL of a reach for a project.
Just because he could use coaching and a little time in the pros before starting doesn't make him any more of a "project" than any other QB. I happen to think he has more tools than any other QB this year. To me, that makes him less of a project than Watson or Mitch. If he is still there in the bottom of the (first) I don't hesitate to try to trade up and grab him. Hell some mocks have the Browns taking him at 12.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
karhu
Head Coach

My dream scenario would involve trading down and still getting someone like Jonathan Allen in the first.

My fever-dream scenario plays out in Fanspeak like this:

1. Allen
2a. Obi Melifonwu
2b. Kevin King
2c. Zay Jones
3a. TJ Watt
3b. Taylor Moton
4a. Jake Butt
4b. Tyus Bowser
5. Deatrich Wise
7. Aviante Collins
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

karhu wrote:My dream scenario would involve trading down and still getting someone like Jonathan Allen in the first.

My fever-dream scenario plays out in Fanspeak like this:

1. Allen
2a. Obi Melifonwu
2b. Kevin King
2c. Zay Jones
3a. TJ Watt
3b. Taylor Moton
4a. Jake Butt
4b. Tyus Bowser
5. Deatrich Wise
7. Aviante Collins
I hope Collins is available in the 7th, just have a feeling he turned a lot of heads with his combine performance... drill wise he looked impressive. I could see someone snatching him up in the 5th
karhu
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:I hope Collins is available in the 7th, just have a feeling he turned a lot of heads with his combine performance... drill wise he looked impressive. I could see someone snatching him up in the 5th
I'm afraid you're right. But I also think that Collins is at least a year away from being able to play in the league. Ideally, you'd like his poise to set up his hands and his balance and power to lend them weight, but he doesn't play anything like that. He plays like...a guy who only benches and runs the 40 at the combine. At the very least, he needs a lot of work on his technique, and that's if he's got enough power to make it work as a pro, which I kinda doubt he has right now. He's a redshirt-in-waiting, and in this draft just about everyone can do better (Sidney Jones notwithstanding) in the 5th.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Dream scenario = every fucking pick is a hit, no more, no less
well that is the dream sad to say - the Bears just don't screw up the draft

malk wrote:Dream scenario? To wake up and realise we haven't given Glennon 15 million a year.
too late

and an invalid whine anyway in regards to this thread since Glennon is not involved in the Bears draft
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
USSGlennon
Rookie

#3 in this draft could draw a lot of interest. I would do it for a package of picks, given we need them to speed up the building process. Wouldn't trade too far down tho'... Howard or either of the top Safeties would work for me...
IotaNet
MVP

Saw this on another board as a 4-round draft for the Bears. The best scenario I've seen -- I would be very pleased with this:

Chicago Bears
3 Deshaun Watson QB Clemson
36 Evan Engram TE Ole Miss
67 Fabian Moreau CB UCLA
111 Justin Evans SS Texas A&M
117 Amara Darboh WR Michigan
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell