Safety Talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Utah S Marcus Williams surrendered, on average, just 0.09 yards per coverage snap. :shock:

Marcus Williams was one of our second-team All-American safeties in 2016, as he put together an all-around outstanding season (he led all FBS safeties in run-stop percentage). Possibly the most eye-popping stat on him this season was his 0.09 yards surrendered per coverage snap. This metric takes the total yardage a player allows into his coverage and divides it by the number of coverage snaps played, and is a way to gauge the efficiency of a player’s production in coverage. Texas A&M’s Justin Evans was the next-closest safety (likely to be drafted within the first three rounds) to Williams, at 0.53. Not surprisingly, Williams also led all qualifying FBS safeties (more than 100 coverage snaps played) in total yards allowed, with just 38. While players like LSU’s Jamal Adams and Ohio State’s Malik Hooker are getting all the top-15 hype (and for good reason), Williams may have had the best statistical season in 2016 of this year’s loaded safety class.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Williams is a good one, and if not for Hooker and Adams, he'd probably be the 1st safety taken.
karhu
Head Coach

Yep; he's the guy for us if we don't end up with one of the top two.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
G08
Hall of Famer

I just can't get on board with him at 3. I'm trying but every fiber of my being is resisting.

Adipost
MVP

I still think Peppers could become something special and wouldn't mind taking a chance on him at #36.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:I still think Peppers could become something special and wouldn't mind taking a chance on him at #36.
At worst dude would be a lights out KR/PR.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:I still think Peppers could become something special and wouldn't mind taking a chance on him at #36.
He'd be a lights out RB if he would just listen and make the switch, he's a dynamic runner in space... I don't understand why he is dead set on playing safety.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
G08 wrote:
He'd be a lights out RB if he would just listen and make the switch, he's a dynamic runner in space... I don't understand why he is dead set on playing safety.
A look at the average contract in free agency for a safety versus the average contract in free agency for a running back will answer that question.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

[video][/video]
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Fewer injuries...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:I just can't get on board with him at 3. I'm trying but every fiber of my being is resisting.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

thunderspirit wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
G08 wrote:
A look at the average contract in free agency for a safety versus the average contract in free agency for a running back will answer that question.
If it were just money, I would think he would be jockeying for a role as an edge rusher... if we want to compare contracts...
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote:[video][/video]
:toast: This has been stuck in my head since I first saw the thread. Glad to know it wasn't just me.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

With the signing of Demps I dont think they will look high in the draft. That doesn't mean they won't look later.

Nate Gerry
Gerry NFL.com

Marcus Maye
Maye NFL.com
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This last hit is technically perfect as I see it. Gets low. Leads with shoulder not head. Devastating contact and effect. Stays on his feet after contact. Do you play the #3 pick on STs? I hope so. Wow.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've seen Deon Bush whack some dudes in college too... I want more out of a #3 overall pick (S) than a thumper.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Mayock moved Peppers to #1 on his safety prospect board... I really don't agree with this take at all... one tipped pass INT...
mshu7
Pro Bowler

From Matt Bowen (former NFL safety) from ESPN:
Watched tape of LSU safety Jamal Adams -- Love the way he plays the game. Natural instincts on the field. High football IQ. Tough. And he leads by example. Adams plays much faster than his stopwatch speed (4.56 40-yard dash). I see very little wasted movement with his footwork too. That shows up in his run reads. Quick downhill to close the distance to the ball carrier. And he finishes tackles. Adams also has the technique and coverage ability to match up to the slot. The skill set is there to play multiple roles in defensive sub-packages at the NFL level. If Adams can post a 40 time at his Pro Day in the low 4.5 range, I think he has the talent to come off the board in the Top 5 of the draft. He's the type of impact safety that coaches want in the secondary.

Matt Bowen, ESPN Staff Writer
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:From Matt Bowen (former NFL safety) from ESPN:
Watched tape of LSU safety Jamal Adams -- Love the way he plays the game. Natural instincts on the field. High football IQ. Tough. And he leads by example. Adams plays much faster than his stopwatch speed (4.56 40-yard dash). I see very little wasted movement with his footwork too. That shows up in his run reads. Quick downhill to close the distance to the ball carrier. And he finishes tackles. Adams also has the technique and coverage ability to match up to the slot. The skill set is there to play multiple roles in defensive sub-packages at the NFL level. If Adams can post a 40 time at his Pro Day in the low 4.5 range, I think he has the talent to come off the board in the Top 5 of the draft. He's the type of impact safety that coaches want in the secondary.

Matt Bowen, ESPN Staff Writer
I really respect Bowen and Bucky Brooks, who used to scout for John Fox, said that he knows Foxy wants a sheriff back there patrolling in his secondary.

I can live with Adams in the first and the top rated corner in the second. Talk about re-vamping your secondary...

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:I've seen Deon Bush whack some dudes in college too... I want more out of a #3 overall pick (S) than a thumper.
How about the Deion Sanders of safeties?

USSGlennon
Rookie

S in round 1 this year would be a smart choice. Many years there are no elite-level S's to be found in the draft...
mshu7
Pro Bowler

It's also a good choice this year because outside of maybe Garrett, there aren't any elite/top end talents. Lots of good depth though.
-Shu