Bears pre-draft visits

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Did McPhee have another injury again?
http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... 32&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had labrum surgery.
G08
Hall of Famer

All the more reason I want Solomon Thomas to just take his fucking job. Only $1 million to cut him after the 2017 season and you get a cap savings of $7.075 million.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

There will be such a logjam though... I just don't like it. I haven't liked many of Pace's picks though.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:There will be such a logjam though
[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:There will be such a logjam though... I just don't like it. I haven't liked many of Pace's picks though.
For me it's big picture... I think Willie Young and Houston, at minimum, are gone in 2018. McPhee could possibly stick around if he's healthy. It's really just Floyd and Roy Robertson-Harris (who hasn't played a single NFL snap) as the future.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:Foster is a fucking ANIMAL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:There will be such a logjam though... I just don't like it. I haven't liked many of Pace's picks though.
For me it's big picture... I think Willie Young and Houston, at minimum, are gone in 2018. McPhee could possibly stick around if he's healthy. It's really just Floyd and Roy Robertson-Harris (who hasn't played a single NFL snap) as the future.
yeah, he and floyd could really be dudes you build a defense around. that's what you want, right?
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I wouldn't be opposed to Foster at all. He's a force to be reckoned with.
Never Die Easy
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Adipost wrote:
I love Reuben Foster, but you try that shit on Aaron Rodgers, expect a letter from Mr. Goodell.
Adipost
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:
Adipost wrote:
I love Reuben Foster, but you try that shit on Aaron Rodgers, expect a letter from Mr. Goodell.
Worth it.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

alexwilkins wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Why?
Led with the shoulder and only brushed Watson enough to spin him.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malk
Head Coach

Could we get Thomas and Foster after trading about?

In other news, that clip looks impressive but it's terrible technique. Open your arms and take a power step through the ball carrier and you snap him in half.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Could we get Thomas and Foster after trading about?
lol, that would be incredible and i would shit myself
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:
The more I am reading and stories I see coming out about teams fearing Foster can't understand the X/O side because he's not good on the white board... add in the possible off-field stuff coming out, Foster may experience a slide... it seems one team picking in the top 15 has already removed him from their draft board because of his past, they believe he is immature and has issues... so this could end up being a little more realistic.

All I can say is Alabama runs a pretty complex defense and he was the one making calls and adjustments, he can play and may not be able to verbalize concepts but he understands them, you can see it in his tape.
malk
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:
The more I am reading and stories I see coming out about teams fearing Foster can't understand the X/O side because he's not good on the white board... add in the possible off-field stuff coming out, Foster may experience a slide... it seems one team picking in the top 15 has already removed him from their draft board because of his past, they believe he is immature and has issues... so this could end up being a little more realistic.

All I can say is Alabama runs a pretty complex defense and he was the one making calls and adjustments, he can play and may not be able to verbalize concepts but he understands them, you can see it in his tape.
That was presuming trading down to where most people think Thomas' likely spot is from 3 and then grabbing Foster after a big slide. Probably would need a trade back up and I don't see Pace doing that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to think that with Jonathan Bullard already in the fold, and our secondary being dogshit... it might make sense to go Adams in the 1st round, a stud CB in the 2nd round, and a QB in the 3rd round, and a brute 5T in the 4th round.

1. Adams - S
2. Conley - CB
3. Kaaya - QB (I know, I don't like him either)
4. Carlos Watkins/Nazair Jones - 5T

thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I'm starting to think that with Jonathan Bullard already in the fold, and our secondary being dogshit... it might make sense to go Adams in the 1st round, a stud CB in the 2nd round, and a QB in the 3rd round, and a brute 5T in the 4th round.

1. Adams - S
2. Conley - CB
3. Kaaya - QB (I know, I don't like him either)
4. Carlos Watkins/Nazair Jones - 5T
Physically, Bullard and Allen are very similar.
HtWtArm LHandWing40yd10ydbenchVrJBrJ3cnShS
Jonathan Bullard603028533 5/81081 1/44.931.682332.09.6677.314.56
Jonathan Allen602528633 5/89 3/880 7/85.001.742130.09.0007.494.50
Allen is a much better player, though, which suggests either that that Allen's coaches at Alabama (Bo Davis, then Karl Dunbar) are a damn sight better than Bullard's were at Florida (Terrell Williams, then Chris Rumph), or that Bullard isn't yet the sum of his parts. (My money is on the latter.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

While Allen is better than Bullard, he still isn't worth the 3rd overall pick.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Middleguard
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Physically, Bullard and Allen are very similar.
HtWtArm LHandWing40yd10ydbenchVrJBrJ3cnShS
Jonathan Bullard603028533 5/81081 1/44.931.682332.09.6677.314.56
Jonathan Allen602528633 5/89 3/880 7/85.001.742130.09.0007.494.50
Allen is a much better player, though, which suggests either that that Allen's coaches at Alabama (Bo Davis, then Karl Dunbar) are a damn sight better than Bullard's were at Florida (Terrell Williams, then Chris Rumph), or that Bullard isn't yet the sum of his parts. (My money is on the latter.)
You almost had me there (and I'm looking for excuses to dismiss Allen). But if it's not Bullard's coaching, what can be done (and you said 'yet') to get Bullard to the 'sum of his parts?'
G08
Hall of Famer

Increasing strength and learning how to properly play two-gap. His game in college was quickness/penetration from the 3-technique. Here he is being asked to play some 5-technique as well.

I liked him a lot during the process last year, was excited that we picked him. I hope he develops.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:While Allen is better than Bullard, he still isn't worth the 3rd overall pick.
Maybe not. Stephen White thinks he is, which carries a whole lot of water with me. The guy knows NFL line play. It's not a slam dunk for me, but I like Allen quite a bit.
G08 wrote:Increasing strength and learning how to properly play two-gap. His game in college was quickness/penetration from the 3-technique. Here he is being asked to play some 5-technique as well.

I liked him a lot during the process last year, was excited that we picked him. I hope he develops.
Pretty much this. He seems to have the strength and mass; remains to be seen whether he can adapt.
Last edited by thunderspirit on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:While Allen is better than Bullard, he still isn't worth the 3rd overall pick.
Maybe not. Stephen White thinks he is, which carries a whole lot of water with me. The guy knows NFL line play. It's not a slam dunk for me, but I like Allen quite a bit.
I understand that you have to trust someone when it comes to talent evaluation. Allen just screams bust when you watch his slow reaction off the ball, and his disappearance in big games. Add in the concerns for his shoulders and I would drop him down in the mid teens as far as prospects.

I have no special dislike for the guy. But what I see doesn't translate well into the NFL. Allen is a who depends on his quick hands and when the shoulders start to ache at the end of the game and the end of the season, that just saps his ability to fight through O linemen.
malk
Head Coach

Bullard wouldn't the first player not to excel in his rookie season. I have no expectation but plenty of hope for him.

wab
Mod

For a team with so many needs, the Bears pre-draft visit list seems pretty short.
G08
Hall of Famer

CHICAGO BEARS

First-round spot: 3
» Bears' 2017 draft picks | Draft history

Prospects associated with the Bears:
» Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama: Will visit Bears
» Dylan Donahue, DL, West Georgia: Donahue visits Bears
» Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss: Scheduled to visit Bears
» Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama: Dines with, visits Bears
» Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M: Schedules visit with Bears
» Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State: Visits Bears
» O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama: Howard to visit Bears
» Josh Jones, S, N.C. State: Jones to visit Bears
» DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame: Reportedly will work out for Bears
» Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State Top CB visits Bears
» Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech: Dines with Bears

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Excited to see Hooker coming in for a visit. Hope he blows the Bears away and we take him at 3.

I just read an article where the guy was trying to convince his readers that we are taking OJ Howard. but if Engram shows enough maybe we just take him in round 2.
G08
Hall of Famer

Jonathan Allen, DL

McShay's ranking: No. 2 defender, No. 2 overall
Best team fits: Bears, Jaguars
NFL comp: Gerald McCoy

Positives: Allen has this natural power to rag-doll blockers. His tremendous footwork and burst off the ball helped him consistently live in the offensive backfield (22.5 sacks and 21 QB hurries in his past 30 games). He had a Superman-like sack against Texas A&M in 2016 where he tossed the offensive guard out of the way and then launched over a cut block to bury QB Trevor Knight. Rare stuff for such a big man. In a league starved for interior pass-rushers, Allen is a top-10 talent.

Negatives: Allen didn't miss a game over his final three seasons, but he has moderate arthritis in both of his surgically repaired shoulders. That will raise red flags for some teams. And then there are Allen's below-average combine numbers: 5.00 40-yard dash with a 1.74 10-yard split. Those make you question whether Allen can be a pure edge defender in the NFL. In all likelihood, he profiles as an interior pass-rusher who may occasionally struggle versus the run because of his 286-pound frame.