Loggains in the mix

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Middleguard
MVP

There's nothing specific I've come across that I can cite, but I keep running across little things I can't account for until I think, "That must be Loggains' influence." So in my mind he's becoming a MAJOR player because there are mountains of little things the Bears have done that I can't account for.

But Loggains, himself, is one of the many things I can't account for. He was Gase's appendix who didn't seem very effective when he defaulted to the OC role.

Somebody tell me... am I wrong in sensing that Loggains has somehow achieved real power w/in the organization? If so, is that because he has sole say on offense while Fox and Fangio split on defense? Or is it because the organization believes he has the TRUE vision for the Bears' future?

If he has the true vision, or not, can somebody tell me what Loggains' (not Fox' or Pace's) vision of the Bear's offense is?

And if he doesn't have the power, who does, and what is THEIR vision of the Bears' offense?
G08
Hall of Famer

I think it really simplifies down to, "Hey, this is my offense and this is what I need to succeed. I had success with Kendall Wright at Tennessee, he's fairly cheap, let's see if I can re-capture some of that magic that we shared in Tennessee".
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Fox came from a defensive background along with Fangio, obviously. Loggains is the top offensive mind in the organization. (And that continues to scare me.)

And maybe this is off track a little bit, but I want to know what the hell happened... Remember when we hired Gase, it was viewed as such a positive that we got Loggains as QBs coach because Cutler was familiar with and went to bat for him. Then Gase rode off into the sunset with Loggains promoted, but that same positive vibe continued for the same reason. And it didn't really work out. Was that Cutler? Or Loggains? I think I read that Fox didn't want Cutler back. I want to know what the heck happened there. How is it that Cutler/Loggains was such a good pairing... until it wasn't? That kind of crap really irks me. It's like somebody was lying.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

eh, i'm not so down on loggains, because we saw with three different qb's, he adapted his playcalling quite a bit (instead of trying to force them all to do the same thing). yeah there are complaints about running alittle more, but i dont think, at this point, that he's some ron turner-esque bum gifted with superiors who dont know any better.
Middleguard
MVP

G08 wrote:I think it really simplifies down to, "Hey, this is my offense and this is what I need to succeed. I had success with Kendall Wright at Tennessee, he's fairly cheap, let's see if I can re-capture some of that magic that we shared in Tennessee".
The last part of your statement somehow got lost. It properly ends "where we had the 22nd and 21st passing offenses in the NFL and that's what I call success."
G08
Hall of Famer

My point wsa that dude had a 1,000 yard season with Loggains.

Look at Kyle Shanahan's history. He didn't always set the world on fire, you need the right dudes/talent around you.

It's not an excuse for him, at all, but I do think that if you're making personnel decisions you should make sure your coordinators want/know how to use your acquisitions.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:My point wsa that dude had a 1,000 yard season with Loggains.

Look at Kyle Shanahan's history. He didn't always set the world on fire, you need the right dudes/talent around you.

It's not an excuse for him, at all, but I do think that if you're making personnel decisions you should make sure your coordinators want/know how to use your acquisitions.
Wright put up that year with Fitzmagic and Jake Locker as his QB and CJ1k with 3.9 ypc before his career fully fell to pieces... it's not like Loggins had Mariota/Murray with which to work...
karhu
Head Coach

You're agreeing.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I don't know that Loggains has any real power. I think that Pace had his people evaluate Wright along with all the other FA WR's. I think the conversation went more like this:
Pace: "Hey Dowell, I think you can incorporate Kendall Wright into your offense based on our evaluations and your success with him in the past..."
Loggains: "Oh Yeah! Let me reach out to him and talk over a few things. I might be able to help bring him in!"
Pace: "Oh, go ahead and call him...but I just signed him so you can get started on updating him on what you're doing differently this year."
Loggains: "..."
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!