Would you throw stuff at your TV on draft day, if...

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:If we stick at 3, I honestly think it will be one of:

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen
Now that wasn't the question, was it? :-P
Like what are you trying to get at here? I feel like you're trying to manufacture a response out of people, so just like quit the foreplay and tell me what you want.
Adipost
MVP

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen
You guys are making an error in dismissing Malik Hooker.
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:
UOK wrote:If we took Kizer, I'd be very disappointed.

If we took Watson or Trubisky, I'd be intrigued.

If we took Kaaya, I'd demand Pace be fired.
and if we took mahomes?

for real though, who gives a fuck about perceived qb controversy. doubling down on trying to figure out the most important position in football, one we've mostly ignored for 98 years? why be mad?

you do what you have to do to figure out the qb position, and then worry about everything else afterwords. titans were nothing until they got mariota, and now they're finally building into something that could be more than a laughing stock. Bucs are slowly getting better now that they finally have a real QB. Derek Carr and the Raiders finally coalescing into a real team. 99 times out of 100 a QB is going to need time to learn before a team is a legit contender. That's when you build the team around him, not before and hope that the QB comes later.
I have more respect in Ryan Pace than to believe he'd make such a foolish choice.
IotaNet
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote: ... you do what you have to do to figure out the qb position, and then worry about everything else afterwords. titans were nothing until they got mariota, and now they're finally building into something that could be more than a laughing stock. Bucs are slowly getting better now that they finally have a real QB. Derek Carr and the Raiders finally coalescing into a real team. 99 times out of 100 a QB is going to need time to learn before a team is a legit contender. That's when you build the team around him, not before and hope that the QB comes later.
Yup
Atkins&Rebel wrote:It's always flawed to believe that "next year the talent is better". Nothing is for certain next year. If we have a guy that we think can be a franchise player, we need to pull the trigger on him. We are set up to let the kid grow for at least a year, more if he needs it. This a is also a good year to gamble at QB, since there really isn't premier talent at the top of the draft. No lock down CB. No franchise LT. No dominating skill position.
Absolutely
Mikefive wrote: ... taking a QB would be a statement by Pace that he's moving to fix the QB position ASAP. And I can appreciate that line of thinking, even though I wouldn't do that if I were in his shoes. We NEED to fix the QB position and the odds are that Glennon isn't the fix, although it's possible. But by doubling down with the best QB available in this draft according to his scouts, you've hedged your bet on Glennon in a serious way.
Totally agreed.

These responses all reflect my thinking. We need to address the QB position on a long-term basis and that certainly isn't Glennon. If the Bears' brass thinks that the long term answer at the position is in this draft then they should take him. Whether he is the proper "value at #3" shouldn't matter. If you have a first round grade on the guy, take him in the first round and get going.

To answer your question, I would love to see Watson and I wouldn't hate Trubisky. The others, I don't like in the first round.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen
I love Hooker(s) but his injury history is concerning, and he's really not a good tackler -- especially in open space.

If he was healthy I'd take him over Adams... but he's not.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen
I love Hooker(s) but his injury history is concerning, and he's really not a good tackler -- especially in open space.

oh fuck, i agree with adipost. fml.

i'd rather teach malik how to tackle better than teach jamal how to cover.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRtoKPRhkz9/?hl=en
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrombone wrote:
G08 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen

oh fuck, i agree with adipost. fml.

i'd rather teach malik how to tackle better than teach jamal how to cover.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen
Like what are you trying to get at here? I feel like you're trying to manufacture a response out of people, so just like quit the foreplay and tell me what you want.
i assume the point of this thread is to make wab mad
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

Solomon Thomas
Jamal Adams
Jonathan Allen
Sure.

Would you throw stuff at your TV on draft day, if...
...we took a QB in R1 at #3? (Assume it's one of the guys projected to go in R1.)

Is that clear enough? Or no? :roll:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

No. My answer is no.
IotaNet
MVP

Ryan Pace wrote:"I think you want a guy who has elevated his program," Pace said. "I know I've talked about this player a lot because he had a big impact on me. But I think about [Drew] Brees when he was at Purdue. He elevated that program. He took them to the Rose Bowl. I think that means something. I think that's something that we have to pay attention to."
John Fox wrote:Asked what he looks for in a quarterback, Fox said: "A guy that raises all boats as far as work ethic. When the horn goes off, he's not track shoes out of the building. We call it first-in, last-to-leave type of mentality. That raises all boats with your teammates. Successful teams I've been a part of had that intangible and that's something we're trying to build on."
I posted this elsewhere but it applies here also. To me, that feels/sounds/looks like Watson.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

No I wouldn't throw stuff at the TV and this thread is stupid.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The most angry I think I had been in the first round turned out to be a pro bowl guard.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:The most angry I think I had been in the first round turned out to be a pro bowl guard.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I wasn't mad at Shea. He played good against Glenn at Georgia. He was used poorly and average at best but I as not angry.

Drafting a backup offensive lineman in the first. That angered me.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:I wasn't mad at Shea. He played good against Glenn at Georgia. He was used poorly and average at best but I as not angry.

Drafting a backup offensive lineman in the first. That angered me.
I was more intrigued by Long, I didn't love the pick but I saw the athleticism... McClellin left me fuming because he was an 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE Chandler Jones was still sitting there (where he has also proved he can rush from OLB as he did last year with 11 sacks)... and that anger only increased as Jones went on to become a double digit sack guy and McCellin was moved to ILB and then let walk...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The one that got me was Mike Brown in R2. There was a guy named Deon Grant (IIRC) who had like a zillion interceptions and some crazies were talking about us taking him instead of Urlacher in R1... He's still on the board in R2 and we take Mike Brown instead. I was literally throwing stuff. :ashamed:

Brown walked right by me in Platteville that summer and I said HI to him and watched him pick off 2 balls in practice that day. I bought his jersey right after that. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

The most angry I'd been on draft day was in 2008 when they passed on Brian Brohm for some upright running fumble machine from Tulane in the 2nd round.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:The most angry I'd been on draft day was in 2008 when they passed on Brian Brohm for some upright running fumble machine from Tulane in the 2nd round.
Ah yes I recall... I was working you over to feel the love for that Tulane Touchdownmaker.

He runs too high!
karhu
Head Coach

Yep, I would.

But not because of the draft. I just like throwing stuff at my tv.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

no, I wouldn't simply because :

1) I like and value my tv too much to mar it due to something odd/peculiar/dumb the Bears might be doing

2) it is still 50-50 in my opinion that they will do just that

the only QB I would want them to take at #3 is Watson, and I will happily cheer for him as he takes the field as the 2018 starting QB for da Bears
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:The most angry I'd been on draft day was in 2008 when they passed on Brian Brohm for some upright running fumble machine from Tulane in the 2nd round.
The angriest I have ever been is watching Cedric Benson, pretty much the ONLY person in that draft I didn't want in Chicago, pulling on a Bears hat... that only beat the 99 draft because I was at work when it happened and could not actually yell obscenities like I did for the McNown pick... I remember sitting there watching as Daunte Culpepper was destined for Chicago and then Minny trades ahead of us and took Culpepper... made it worse to me that he looked pretty good for a few years, probably wouldn't even have had those good years had it not been for throwing it up to 2 future HOF WRs tho... turned out to be a supreme turnover machine himself...
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote:
The angriest I have ever been is watching Cedric Benson, pretty much the ONLY person in that draft I didn't want in Chicago, pulling on a Bears hat... that only beat the 99 draft because I was at work when it happened and could not actually yell obscenities like I did for the McNown pick... I remember sitting there watching as Daunte Culpepper was destined for Chicago and then Minny trades ahead of us and took Culpepper... made it worse to me that he looked pretty good for a few years, probably wouldn't even have had those good years had it not been for throwing it up to 2 future HOF WRs tho... turned out to be a supreme turnover machine himself...
The Benson draft was tough because it was kind of a garbage draft at the top (seems suddenly familiar). None of the RB's tripped my trigger. I was resigned to the fact that it would be either be Benson/Cadillac or Troy Williamson/Mike Williams. However, I was really hoping for Derrick Johnson or DeMarcus Ware. I thought maybe there would be an outside chance that it could be Marcus Spears.

When Benson was taken I wasn't mad because I pretty much expected it...as well as the disaster that followed.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
The Benson draft was tough because it was kind of a garbage draft at the top (seems suddenly familiar). None of the RB's tripped my trigger. I was resigned to the fact that it would be either be Benson/Cadillac or Troy Williamson/Mike Williams. However, I was really hoping for Derrick Johnson or DeMarcus Ware. I thought maybe there would be an outside chance that it could be Marcus Spears.

When Benson was taken I wasn't mad because I pretty much expected it...as well as the disaster that followed.
Man, the what could have been with DeMarcus Ware lining up at DE on that 2006 defense... him and Mark Anderson would have had fun on passing downs...
malk
Head Coach

Trading down rather than picking Eric Weddle and ending up with Dan Bazuin. I don't recall what had me locked in so much but I was salty when we traded out of the pick.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Nothing made me more angry than NOT drafting Randy Moss in the 1998 draft when we had the 5th pick. What made it even worse was to skip over Moss for Curtis ENIS! I still fume over that Wanny blunder to this day. Was screaming for Moss that year and really could not stand Enis, thought he'd be a major bust. I wish I would've been wrong.

The 2005 draft was also just as infuriating. Did not want Benson at all, was hoping for Mike Williams, who was even a bigger bust lol - but I was angry at Benson. Didn't see Aaron Rodgers becoming what he has, thought he was definitely another Tedford QB bust - wish I wasn't so wrong about. I also did like Derrick Johnson. DeMarcus Ware seemed like a huge reach during that time because he played at Troy and the level of competition he faced wasn't great.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Can I throw stuff at the TV because we signed Sanchez? :angry:

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Can I throw stuff at the TV because we signed Sanchez? :angry:

ok, that is valid ... but only if you saw the signing on the offending TV
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin